I have a mic and a cord I plan on lending to my vocalist, but what else does he need? My dad says he'll need more than speakers, so what should he get? Enough volume for live, and pretty cheap would be great.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Well, you'd need a PA system. And cheap PAs are horrible things, so you'd have to spend a bit to get something decent.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure a keyboard amp could do the job decently, or a bass amp. But I'm not too sure. So yeah, maybe try them for a cheap fix.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
PA is the best way to go - it'll sound so much better than, say, an amp. That said, you can use an amp if it's loud enough and EQ'd right, but it won't sound that great, and you'll probably blow/trash a speaker/cone.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
if you wanna cheat, use a keyboard amp
it does a solid job from what I hear

but a solid PA system should be your first choice
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.
if all you have is $150, you can get a starter PA system like squier, sound tech, kustom, series.

it wont last forever but it'll be good for practice, home gigs and some parties.

if you've got more cash then go for a used yamaha system or similar.

yes you can use a keyboard amp, but that'll run you over a hundred anyway, so might as well get the simple amp/speakers/mic package.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
How much would a PA system cost?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

You will need either a powered mixer with effects and two PA speakers or a separate Mixer with a rack mount power amp and an effects unit. I would recommend a Yamaha MG16FX or something similar for a mixer with effects and a behringer EP 2500 rack mount amp. I use two JBL MPro 15" speakers but none of this is going to be cheap. Sometimes you can find good deals on this stuff at pawn shops. If you get lucky you can get into a PA for $100 for an amp, $100 for a mixer, $100 for efx, $300 for a pair of decent speakers. Then he is going to need a monitor which you can pick up for about another $100.

I paid:

$400.00 - Mixer w/Effects
$350.00 - Power Amp
$800.00 - Speakers
$300.00 - Powered monitor
$100.00 - Various cables
--------------------------------
$1950 = Middle of line/fairly cheap PA (EDIT--- ALL PURCHASED BRAND NEW BTW) Can be done much cheaper if you find used and cheaper brands...
You are going to need a mixer to play together anyways... at least if you want to be able to balance the volume of your instruments.
Refs: XgamerGt04,tinypants,SomebodySomeone,Cutlass_253,
souperman08,Bostonrocks,RealGuitarHero,loonyguitarist, ty66, nephilium, johnny_tapia, OsirisProtocol,deadsmiley, PowerMetalg,SchecterFreak,Mfergel,ohspyro89

TTM USA $639 SHIPPED!-PM 4 SALE
Last edited by djfrank at Nov 4, 2008,
ok thanks
Quote by darkstar2466

you can get a cheap system for $150.

you can get a good usable system used for ~$500

you can get a pro system for thousands.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you are just needing something to get started you could just go with something cheap like this... http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--BEHPAPACK2

You probably would be fine using this for practice and small gigs...
Refs: XgamerGt04,tinypants,SomebodySomeone,Cutlass_253,
souperman08,Bostonrocks,RealGuitarHero,loonyguitarist, ty66, nephilium, johnny_tapia, OsirisProtocol,deadsmiley, PowerMetalg,SchecterFreak,Mfergel,ohspyro89

TTM USA $639 SHIPPED!-PM 4 SALE