I've been looking at a jazz bass that seems pretty nice, but it only has two control knobs. It is 1997 Standard Jazz MIM, seller says that they are the original controls. Have you seen this before and would it make a big difference anyway?
Weird. Is there some sort of pickup selector? Maybe a concentric or push-pull pot somewhere?
Nope, no sig here.
Yes, its a fender, and it does not have a pickup selector. I'm guessing that it is one master volume and one master tone. Is it possible to bring it to somebody to replace it with a new set of controls?
I've heard of Fender Jazzes with 3 neck bolts, but two control knobs? The pickups would either have to be permanently blended or have one disabled, both of which would suck.
Quote by Jiimy
The Jazz Basses that only have 2 control pots generally have a stacked volume pot if I am remembering correctly.

this is my guess also.
There is no hole for a third knob, that would have been a dead giveaway.

A stacked pot means that it can control two different things right?

Also I noticed that other jazz bass knobs are black but these ones are silver
Last edited by Steven2285 at Nov 4, 2008,
With a black outer ring? Sounds like stack knobs to me. Although I've never heard of stack knobs coming stock on MIM basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Sorry I took so long....

don't have any pics but imagine this as a jazz bass. Two silver knobs and an input jack beneath them.
You know you showed us a picture of a Precision bass, right?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by thefitz
You know you showed us a picture of a Precision bass, right?

but he did say to use your imagination...

I'd have to guess a stacked knob also.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
there isn't a single non-american made Fender Jazz bass that I know of that only has 2 pots on it. If it is in fact a Jazz bass, and not the P-bass that you showed us a picture of, it's probaly just missing one of the knobs and you're just thinking it doesn't have all 3 controls.

The only Jazz basses I know of with 2 pots are the 60-62' Jazz bass and the reissues of those, but they in fact have 4 controls/knobs, only they're stacked.

If you're looking at a P-bass, and not a jazz bass, they only have 1 vol. and 1 tone, and there's not really a way to add another without going active. P-bass pickups are infact a single pick, only it's two peices. The two peices work in conjuction with each other to eliminate 60 cycle hum, basically two single coils become a humbucker.
It might have been modded in some way, but is there any way to tell? The only identifying mark on it is the fender logo on the headstock. Maybe it is the original neck but a different body? Should I try removing the metal covering and taking a look, or is that a bad idea (sounds like a stupid move, but its worth a shot). Oh and the knobs aren't stacked. They look like these with no bottom black piece.
so, it's got a metal plate that the controls are mounted in? Odd...

Just get us a picture somehow, cause this is warping my mind....
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Thats not a Fender bridge, you must have some imitator with a Fender logo. The body shape isn't right either. My you-got-screwed sense is tingling.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by Steven2285
(Invalid img)

I've seen those somewhere... I can't remember where, but that ain't a fender body... maybe a Jay Turser? If it says fender on the neck and you paid fender price... you got skanked on that one.
Is 300 dollars a ripoff? Is there any way to return after you buy it on ebay?
Quote by Steven2285
Is 300 dollars a ripoff? Is there any way to return after you buy it on ebay?

take it to a reputable shop (if you live in the chicago land area, I can give you some) and have them take a quick gander at it, they'll confirm what it is. File a complaint with Ebay and Paypal and hopefully, it'll work out.
Quote by derekwalden_-33
How does it sound? It may have been a good investment...

It looks like a MM bridge to me, no?

it looks like the cheap bridge chinese guitar makers put on their basses to make the bridge look, "higher quality."

Acutaly, do you have the link for the Ebay transaction, still? If it's not too old, we can actually see what the auction was.
Last edited by Thomme at Nov 12, 2008,
Well it is definitely not an MIM Fender, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you got screwed. The neck looks like a legit MIM, but my guess is that the body is either taken from a knockoff jazz or homemade. I have no idea what is going on with the knobs. One must be volume and the other is either master tone or a pick-up blend knob. The bridge looks like a Lakland/MM knockoff but who knows if it is any good. The bass looks as if was put together well overall and could sound pretty decent. At worst it could sound like shit, in which case you could just mod the hell out of it. It definitely has an interesting look to it.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
The bridge reminds me of the bridge on my old OLP. Perhaps a Stingray bridge even.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
No, that bridge isn't quite oval, and those knobs don't look stack.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
No, that bridge isn't quite oval, and those knobs don't look stack.

and there's no trussrod access do-whacky on the body. If that were a lakland body with a mim neck, I'd personally snap the neck of the guy who put that combination together. Blasphemy.
Take the neck off and see if there are any identification marks where the neck joint is. Usually fender will have a date stamp or something there.
The original Jazz Basses had stacking pots.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
The original Jazz Basses had stacking pots.

But the ones in the picture do not appear to be stacked. Also, I have never heard of stacked pots on an MIM Jazz.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
Okay, seller agreed to a refund if I send it back. I know this is off topic, but what is a good replacement? Maybe a squire?
Why not keep her for a while and see if you like it?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Why not keep her for a while and see if you like it?

I second this notion, if you thought it played well enough to be a MIM it must be a decent instrument.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
The seller offered to refund 120, and let me have it for 200. I thought this was a good deal, as it would cost me over 75 just to ship it back. So even if it is crappy, it doesn't really matter because I will just mod it if it is really that necessary.
Quote by Steven2285
The seller offered to refund 120, and let me have it for 200. I thought this was a good deal, as it would cost me over 75 just to ship it back. So even if it is crappy, it doesn't really matter because I will just mod it if it is really that necessary.

Good deal. Even if it sounds like shit the $120 will allow you to upgrade the pick-ups and electronics. Congrats on the bass man
Quote by Caustic