I have a very limited setup, but i know i can get away with a lot better recording quality then I'm getting.

my amplifier is a fender champion 300, it doesn't have a line out just a headphones jack.
I'm going from my headphone jack in my amplifier to the Line in in the back of my pc and recording using audacity. Every part of this cable is stereo (2 black rings, unlike the mono cables used to plug your guitar into the amp) I'm using an audio cable from best buy and a 1/4'' to 1/8'' adapter to plug into my amp. the cable doesn't seem to ruin the sound from other sources, but my amp is a different story.
Do i need to use a Mono cable to eliminate this awful sounding distortion that occurs when play through my computer?

It also occurs when i use headphones in the headphone jack, but again i'm using that stereo adapter from 1/4'' to 1/8'' in the jack

It gets less noticable at lower volumes but i can't get rid of it!
whatever it is.. it makes my guitar sound terrible and digital,
anyone ran into this kind of trouble?
Recording forum brah.

Also for any kind of good recording you need a decent mic and interface, full stop. The adapters are a big no-no.
you need a recording interface or a soundcard with a better A/D/A converter.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by jjd07
I have a very limited setup, but i know i can get away with a lot better recording quality then I'm getting.

my amplifier is a fender champion 300, it doesn't have a line out just a headphones jack.
I'm going from my headphone jack in my amplifier to the Line in in the back of my pc and recording using audacity. Every part of this cable is stereo (2 black rings, unlike the mono cables used to plug your guitar into the amp) I'm using an audio cable from best buy and a 1/4'' to 1/8'' adapter to plug into my amp. the cable doesn't seem to ruin the sound from other sources, but my amp is a different story.
Do i need to use a Mono cable to eliminate this awful sounding distortion that occurs when play through my computer?

It also occurs when i use headphones in the headphone jack, but again i'm using that stereo adapter from 1/4'' to 1/8'' in the jack

It gets less noticable at lower volumes but i can't get rid of it!
whatever it is.. it makes my guitar sound terrible and digital,
anyone ran into this kind of trouble?

You need the R&R form and Tweak;s Guide
look in my sig too
Sounds to me like you need to turn your amp down! It could be that the signal from the amp si to high, and the distortion is coming from overloading the sound card. If you can post a clip I might be able to recognise this type of distortion.

Also, make sure your plugging into the line in on your pc (the blue on) and not the mic in (the red one). The mic in will have a pre-amp which will boost the signal, thus making it more likely to distort.
Thanks for the video links they helped me get a clearer sound(i wasn't using my soundmax hd audio, i was using the microsoft sound mapper as my input to record in the preferences) but i now see i need to upgrade my setup to achieve any sort of real clarity. I plan on building from the ground up from whats necessary to a decent setup but right now i have very limited budget. Would a good first step be a sound card like the M-Audio Delta 1010 LT and a small behringer mixer for the long run or do you think that there is a line 6 pod that will be a cheaper solution to recording a single guitar that will last me for a few months getting my ideas down?
Last edited by jjd07 at Nov 5, 2008,
dont go with a mixer, it isnt needed these days. Interfaces are the way to go. They are a high end sound card for recording and bypass the stock card making recording and playback good.

The Line6 Toneports are only for ideas and messing around. They dont put out great sound for the price. If you are even slightly serious about getting good sounds and recording, spend at least $200 on your first interface. The PreSonus Inspire firewire and EMU 0202 or 0404 USB are all good starts and great products.
thanks again, you give very good information!

little did i know the sound card i named was actually an audio interface..

I think i'll try the Inspire 1394, I almost went for the M-Audio Firewire solo because it comes with a pretty good condenser mic, but the Inspire has a limiter function and a more user friendly program, and I record a lot after others in my house have gone to bed so i will most likely be using the 1/4'' jacks exclusively for a few months to keep the noise down.
Last edited by jjd07 at Nov 5, 2008,