i guess i'm a cheapskate i have a boat load of guitars and have made improvements on some like better necks,tuners and bridges things like that but i always seem to keep the stock pickups. can anyone explain the real difference in sound quality and output you get from the pricey seymour duncans?what are the best that they make?i play heavy metal to blues looking to make a real screamer i play through a line 6 spider lll 75 watt combo. any advice would be helpful
there is no real point in upgrading pick ups in your case, my suggestion if you want a better tone, get a new amp.
Quote by Ghold125
there is no real point in upgrading pick ups in your case, my suggestion if you want a better tone, get a new amp.

This. You can't just upgrade one thing and get a better tone. It's all about your whole signal chain. get a decent guitar and a decent amp and it should be fine, then if you wish to add SD pickups then do so...

But in answer to your question, the Seymour Duncans will give you a much fuller/clearer tone and more sustain. I've never changed the pickups in my electric guitar but I own an '84 Fender Jazz Bass Special and a Squire P Bass Special, I replaced the Squire stock pickups with Seymour Duncans and the Squire sounds better than the Fender now.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Pickups make a bigger difference then what some people make them out to be here on this site. Yes, most of it is the amp, but if you have a good amp with crap pickups, it's still going to sound like crap.

All pickups are different. There really is no better or worse, but all preferance. Also, SD's aren't to pricey, they're about normal.
I play through a Line 6 Flextone III and I still noticed the difference between my INF pups and my SDs
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w