i noticed on a picture of kirk hammett in total guitar magazine recently, if you look at the headstock of his guitar he has strung his strings in reverse (not in the sense that the thinnest is now at the top) but the ball at the end of the strings which usually would hold it in the bridge, is up at the machine head ends
why is this?
are there balls at both ends?
is it something to do with the thremelo system fitted to his guitar?
yeah. the trem. if he strung it normally he would have to cut the balls of.
I play bass!
Quote by backupbass1
yeah. the trem. if he strung it normally he would have to cut the balls of.

... sorry but... HAHAHA...
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Most trems work that way I think, its all that i've ever seen.

its really the only conventional way to make the strings stay on a floating bridge of any type.
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Not all trems are like that, but most.
I know some Kahler models don't work that way, you don't have to cut the ball off.
Quote by caraluzzo
I know some Kahler models don't work that way, you don't have to cut the ball off.

Same with some Ibanez bridges.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
We rape Christianity and burn Churches too, only we do it at 5BPM
Blackened Doom Metal & Depressive Black Metal

Hahaha , 5BPM
^what??
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
It's because of his Floyd Rose, but if you string the way I do, if you break the string near the bridge, then you've got spare string at the headstock, and it gives you a quick fix if you need your guitar for a gig that night.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by jaffawoman
It's because of his Floyd Rose, but if you string the way I do, if you break the string near the bridge, then you've got spare string at the headstock, and it gives you a quick fix if you need your guitar for a gig that night.

you cut the ball end off?

Quote by alternitivebass
^what??

im with this guy

and don't kirk's strings get changed after every show?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Yes, you can string them that way, because if you string them the normal way, the ball ends would need to be cut off. This is only the case for Floyd Rose (double-locking) tremolo systems.
Quote by caraluzzo

With Kahler models, you CANNOT cut the ball off, otherwise the tremolo will not accept the string. This is because the Kahler uses string-ball holders.
Quote by Black-Metal
oh right i see
is this the same with all trem systems?

The Edge and Edge 2 Pro don't need the balls cut off.
Yeah, the ball/bullet ends (depending on the string) either have to be cut off or the strings have to be strung backwards.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Lol at this thread. Just very heavy innuendo.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate