Page 1 of 2
whats a really hard song on bass? like Steve Harris and Marcus Grosskopf put together
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
There's a sticky at the top of the bass forum page...the "I need bass songs to learn" thread.
Nope, no sig here.
Phantom Of The Opera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve Harris' Finest!!!!!!!!!!!
JordanFlayer uses:

Fender and Yamaha Guitars
Ernie Ball .11-.54 Strings
Marshall and Peavey Amps
MXR Pedals
Fender Medium Picks

Number 45 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club- 'PM Revelations to join

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /

Dream Theater - The Dance of Eternity
Gordian Knot - Singing Deep Mountain
Cynic - Veil of Maya

Have fun.
Hammer Smashed Face - Cannibal Corpse <-- Some crazy bass fills here

Not technically metal, but Blindfolds Aside - Protest The Hero is a crazy song on bass.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
....Frantic Disembowelment
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Mutant Corn
There's a sticky at the top of the bass forum page...the "I need bass songs to learn" thread.

Absolutely no reason to post after this. If you want to make suggestions, put them on the said thread.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Anything Mudvayne. Heavy string guages recommended.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) by Metallica, nailing the break in "Born to Lose" by Black Label Society is hard for me to nail.
Quote by thefitz
Absolutely no reason to post after this. If you want to make suggestions, put them on the said thread.

thefitz has spoken....everyone clear out.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me, Atheist, Cynic, Necrophagist.

Nearly anything by them.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
protest the hero has an insain bassist.
somthing less technical but just as hard, meshuggah.
Quote by carrotcake
Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me, Atheist, Cynic, Necrophagist.

Nearly anything by them.

These.

No offense to Protest the Hero (especially the example given)
they aren't really "hard" basslines (well, the tapping gets kind of tricky if you can't)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Arbitror
Cynic - Veil of Maya

Have fun.

Veil of Maya isn't that hard. Try Only Ash Remains-Necrophagist or The Formative Years-Atheist
SOME Trivium, too. Broken One was hard when I started out, easy as hell now.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Arbitror
Cynic - Veil of Maya

Have fun.

GASP

Another Sean Malone worshipper?!?

building on that -

Gordian Knot - Code / Anti-Code
Gordian Knot - Brook and the Ocean
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
This thread shouldn't be deleted because the OP is looking for specifically metal songs that are hard. The other thread is any general bass song that "should be learned" and it's not even updated anymore.

On that note, my favorite metal songs on the bass are:

Angel of Death- Slayer (Not notable for the bass, but it's very fun to play. And while it's easy, it's challenging to keep up a good stamina to play it all the way through because it's fast lol)

Eagle Fly Free- Helloween (Probably the hardest song I know on bass. The verses are just Steve Harris-type galloping, but then the pre-chorus and the solo section is all over the top of the neck and it's really complicated. Also, the bass has a tapping solo that's impossible for me to play perfectly. Check it out on youtube or something, and **** you if you think they're corny.)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner- Iron Maiden (THE epic song by Iron Maiden, AND their longest and most progressive. I highly suggest you listen to and learn this song. I can't really explain it, you just have to listen to it. Iron Maiden is the best band ever!)

Caught in a Mosh- Anthrax (Soooo fun to play. The intro when the bass comes in is just pure awesomeness, and the rest of the song, especially the solo section, is so fast and crazy. The name caught in a mosh fits this song perfectly.)
Quote by maidenforce19
This thread shouldn't be deleted because the OP is looking for specifically metal songs that are hard. The other thread is any general bass song that "should be learned" and it's not even updated anymore.

Angel of Death- Slayer (Not notable for the bass, but it's very fun to play. And while it's easy, it's challenging to keep up a good stamina to play it all the way through because it's fast lol)

Eagle Fly Free- Helloween (Probably the hardest song I know on bass. The verses are just Steve Harris-type galloping, but then the pre-chorus and the solo section is all over the top of the neck and it's really complicated. Also, the bass has a tapping solo that's impossible for me to play perfectly. Check it out on youtube or something, and **** you if you think they're corny.)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner- Iron Maiden (THE epic song by Iron Maiden, AND their longest and most progressive. I highly suggest you listen to and learn this song. I can't really explain it, you just have to listen to it. Iron Maiden is the best band ever!)

Caught in a Mosh- Anthrax (Soooo fun to play. The intro when the bass comes in is just pure awesomeness, and the rest of the song, especially the solo section, is so fast and crazy. The name caught in a mosh fits this song perfectly.)

im working on that one, but the bridge is insane. and i really like ROTM, but its way to long. i'll also try caught in a mosh, and some mudvayne and PTH, maybe canibal corpse
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by Helloween4Ever
im working on that one, but the bridge is insane. and i really like ROTM, but its way to long. i'll also try caught in a mosh, and some mudvayne and PTH, maybe canibal corpse

Nice man. Check out my video of Caught in a Mosh (in my sig) to see how cool it is. Also, check out my Eagle Fly Free bass cover (also in my sig) so you can see how it's played. It's not too hard, it's just hard to remember it and play it fast.
Quote by maidenforce19

I have to agree with you. Iron Maiden doesn't play it often and it's really fun on the bass. Especially because the bass is the only instrument that keeps playing for 13/14 minutes long. You're fingers will hurt when you play it a few times. I also like Anesthesia Pulling Teeth Cliff Burton's bass solo, when you play it try with and without distortion. I think without distortion sounds better.
Quote by maidenforce19

I just listened to this song. Nice, gotta love Iron Maiden. Steve Harris is a beast.

Quote by Reab
I also like Anesthesia Pulling Teeth Cliff Burton's bass solo, when you play it try with and without distortion. I think without distortion sounds better.

I often play this to people with a bit of tremolo and a bit slower. people fall in love with it. then i play them cliffs version and they cant believe the difference.
Last edited by Applehead at Dec 8, 2008,
Souls Of Black - Testement
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Bod Omen - Megadeth
My Last Words - Megadeth

Some of the most ridiculous playing ive ever heard.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Is the mars volta metal?
I don't know, but "day of the baphomets" has a really hard intro.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Anything from 'Killing is my Business' by Megadeth, and 'Peace Sells...' album.
signature
Quote by lordofthefood1
These.

No offense to Protest the Hero (especially the example given)
they aren't really "hard" basslines (well, the tapping gets kind of tricky if you can't)

+1, that guy is very overrated.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by watchingmefall
Learn something by Cynic, I am currently playing some of their stuff. Insanely hard.

I haven't even tried learning their stuff it just sounds so impossible lol
Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains? Awesome intro. Might be a 6 string though, not sure.

If it is, Cannibal Corpse or other Necrophagist
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Id imagine BladeCatcher by Mastodon would be difficult, as the bass follows all the awesome riffs in the song.
Quote by watchingmefall
It doesn't sound. IT IS >_>

I don't think it's as hard as people make it out to be TBH.

Fair enough, I still haven't gotten it absolutely perfect but it's not that insane
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
I don't think it's as hard as people make it out to be TBH.

Fair enough, I still haven't gotten it absolutely perfect but it's not that insane

It's fairly difficult to the awkward movements and the sheer speed but it's not impossible, really. Personally I've found playing Cynic harder than playing Dream Theater, I like listening and playing both but Cynic makes me try harder.
Quote by watchingmefall
It's fairly difficult to the awkward movements and the sheer speed but it's not impossible, really. Personally I've found playing Cynic harder than playing Dream Theater, I like listening and playing both but Cynic makes me try harder.

I thought you were talking about Necrophagist

But yeah, Cynic is a lot harder than Dream Theater. Looking forward to getting my six string so I can play DT stuff properly though.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I fail to see how this thread is relevant now that the sticky is up. But I can't resist now that I actually reached the bottom of the page and have started typing.

Death blooms by Mudvayne (a warwick is recommended, heavy strings are a must.)
Pulling the String by Mudvayne
Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater (5 strings, at least)
The Pot by Tool (I know it isn't metal, i am just expanding your criteria)
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Page 1 of 2