well youre going from passives to actives with emgs which is not a real easy switch
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
if you have little or no experience in electronics let a tech do it

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
its always best to let a guitar technichian do it if youve got an expensive guitar that doesnt want ruining. If you look around you'll probably find someone that can do it cheap
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Oi, save yourself the trouble and don't get EMGs. In fact, don't get anything with a well-known brand name -- I suppose Fender is the exception -- without first consulting someone heavily educated in the guitar world.

Since you were looking for EMGs, I -- and I'm sure the rest of us -- assume you're playing metal, so I would recommend Seymour Duncans.

Just not the Dimebucker.
Gear
Guitars
Music Man John Petrucci 6-String (Mystic Dream)
Ibanez S470DXQM (Moonburst)
Jackson JS30RR (Blue)
Silvertone Apocalypse
Amplifiers
Peavey Valveking 212
Peavey Rage 158
Effects
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Digitech Metal Master
EMGs sound awesome in my opinion, I've tried Duncans, Dimarzios, and they are still my fav.
Quote by Jawshuwa
don't get anything with a well-known brand name -- I suppose Fender is the exception -- without first consulting someone heavily educated in the guitar world.

Unless it's bare knuckle - the cleans on some of the metal ones would be good enough to satisfy any delta blues purist, let alone a shredder. Not one bad p/up <3

You can tell then that I'd reccomend BKs over EMGs any day. You lose so much dynamics and punch with active pickups; the guitar loses all character. ._.
It's a hard mod, too.
A guitar with passive pickups will always be more versatile and more expressive.
EMGs require a lot more work considering you have to change the pots, jack also you have to have room and wire it for the 9v battery in the electronics cavity. When swapping passives it's usually just a solder job but if your not familiar with soldering it still can be something you'll want someone with experiance to do for you. I usually charge about $25.00 labor for each pup swap about $125.00 to $150.00 to put EMG set up in a guitar if I do not have to route the body and add a battery box. A set of new EMGs will run over $200.00.
Last edited by johnro6659 at Nov 4, 2008,
your basicly trying to fit a 100cm perimeter cirlce into a 80cm perimeter square
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
wait as far as GENERIC PROCEDURES go... don't you just unscrew the pickups, cut the sodder, then resodder new pickups in and screw them in to the body? Or am I missing a key step?

what exactly are pots? arn't they a part of the various knobs?
what are active and passive pickups?
sorry for all the questions... just a couple things in this thread that confused me
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Yeti60
wait as far as GENERIC PROCEDURES go... don't you just unscrew the pickups, cut the sodder, then resodder new pickups in and screw them in to the body? Or am I missing a key step?

what exactly are pots? arn't they a part of the various knobs?
what are active and passive pickups?
sorry for all the questions... just a couple things in this thread that confused me

Are you quite aware that EMGs are powered by battery packs? You have to cram one in there with the wires and pots. Bringing us to your question about pots. Potentiometers are basically the volume and tone controls of your guitar, more specifically the mechanical bits under them.
Passive pickups just pick up the signal and transmit; actives have an onboard preamp which needs an onboard power source (battery pack)

If you don't even know what an active pickup is, you probably shouldn't be considering a pickup swap just yet, especially not to EMGs. Do a little research, suss out how it's going to work, then ask our opinions again and you'll understand.
Quote by Rock Pig
Are you quite aware that EMGs are powered by battery packs? You have to cram one in there with the wires and pots. Bringing us to your question about pots. Potentiometers are basically the volume and tone controls of your guitar, more specifically the mechanical bits under them.
Passive pickups just pick up the signal and transmit; actives have an onboard preamp which needs an onboard power source (battery pack)

If you don't even know what an active pickup is, you probably shouldn't be considering a pickup swap just yet, especially not to EMGs. Do a little research, suss out how it's going to work, then ask our opinions again and you'll understand.

Thanks for the info... I actually wasn't considering a pickup switch... I just semi-hijacked this thread from someone else cause this was some stuff that I needed clarifying on.... I guess I just wasn't well versed on the terminology enough... some of what you said was actually familiar.

I'm getting a new guitar anyway so I won't be looking at pickup switches in the near future.... thanks for the help

oh and one other thing, Rock Pig, why don't you like EMGs why do you say that they arn't as good as passive pickups?

I just read a review and the guy said it was pretty much all gain and no tone... so that sounds bad in my opinion... it also seems like a metal machine...
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Last edited by Yeti60 at Nov 4, 2008,
Ussually new guitar days involve an incoming new pickup day.
Guess it depends on what pickups are in the guitar though.
Quote by devit
your basicly trying to fit a 100cm perimeter cirlce into a 80cm perimeter square

Go do some maths, it fits.

Somebody never knew what Pi is.
ಠ_ಠ