Just curious, but what level should my Gain be set at on my Traynor YCV50 Blue? What I'm asking (and I'm sure some of you have realized I'm an EJ fan boy) is what level of gain would be good to use for most of EJ's stuff? I have it on 7/10 right now, but I dunno... I'm not asking to replicate his tone exactly, I'm just asking for the appropriate gain. Any ideas?

I searched the EQ thread and couldn't find him. If someone actually locates his settings in there, please link me to them. Thanks.
EJ gets his ganier tones through several moderate gain stages, rather than one dramatic one. Set the gain lowish, then try a couple OD's too, with gain on both fairly low.
What is the best colour of underwear?
I like black... but some prefer white.
Or those kinda cartoony boxers the emo kids are wearing these days.

Opinions UG?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
EJ gets his ganier tones through several moderate gain stages, rather than one dramatic one. Set the gain lowish, then try a couple OD's too, with gain on both fairly low.

So like, set it on 4ish? Or is that too low? I only have a crappy SD-1 Overdrive, so I dunno how this is going to work.

EDIT: Oi, you crazy Sheik! Don't steal my thread! Make an underwear thread in the Pit if you must.
Quote by SheikYerbouti
What is the best colour of underwear?
I like black... but some prefer white.
Or those kinda cartoony boxers the emo kids are wearing these days.

Opinions UG?

black or brown...

.hide's the stains
Quote by _Sanitarium_
black or brown...

.hide's the stains

Two portions of Win for you.

EDIT: On topic

I'd say, a nice 4 on your amp, and a 3 on yr pedal. And see how it works...

You defo want the amp to stay around 4 or 5, and then adjust the pedal accordingly.
depends on your pickups, how you play and your ear...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by al112987
Keep your gain down, EJ's tone does not have any real "grit" at all.

Okay, so maybe like 4-5ish? I thought it sounded too gritty, as well... if I just use the Master Volume to get the overdrive I need?

Or should I use my overdrive pedal to boost it, sort of?
I agree with al.

The way EJ does his gain is in smaller stages, IIRC. Note that he has several pedals in his arsenal. AFAIK, he sets the gain in his amps not low, but conservatively, and then adds to it by using his pedals.

For example, keep the gain on your Traynor around maybe 10 o'clock, and use an overdrive or boost pedal that boosts it a bit more.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I agree with al.

The way EJ does his gain is in smaller stages, IIRC. Note that he has several pedals in his arsenal. AFAIK, he sets the gain in his amps not low, but conservatively, and then adds to it by using his pedals.

For example, keep the gain on your Traynor around maybe 10 o'clock, and use an overdrive or boost pedal that boosts it a bit more.

Okay, I can try to do this. Fack, I dunno though... BOSS SD-1 is ewwwwwy. I wonder what I should get for Christmas... from my parents, they said they'd get me 2 pickups or a pedal of my choice...

Ehh, thanks dude. What's a good OD? EJ doesn't use a tube screamer does he? Isn't it like a Chandler Tube Overdrive? I saw that somewhere... have no idea what it is...
Yeah, the Boss ones you got are meh, bro. Haha.

Yeah, I think he does use a Chandler(rare shit) but his gear has almost definitely changed from album to album, hell probably from song to song.

I'm not much of an EJ fanatic, so I don't know what would be good for his tone. You probably don't need a TS, since your YCV50 is mid-healthy already.
I'm playing on a Blue right now as we speak, but only for a few days while my main amp gets some babying from a guitar tech. I must say, I am really enjoying the little bastard. You can get some great tones out of this thing!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, the Boss ones you got are meh, bro. Haha.

Yeah, I think he does use a Chandler(rare shit) but his gear has almost definitely changed from album to album, hell probably from song to song.

I'm not much of an EJ fanatic, so I don't know what would be good for his tone. You probably don't need a TS, since your YCV50 is mid-healthy already.

Fuuuuuuck, I hate BOSS.

What would be a good overdrive...? Either than a Chandler, haha. I guess I don't need one right away... I want a delay more. Oh, and by the way I went and tried playing with lower gain a few seconds ago... again you guys are right, it sounds that much better.
Quote by injected
Turn it up to 11

I'll turn your mom up to 11. Er wait...

That wasn't helpful, and most of all, very misleading (not that I took your suggestion seriously).
Quote by Jimbleton
this is erics rig, if you can make sense of it

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/588/

Holy crap. That just makes me thankful that I plug straight in to my amp!
Setting up that rig would take 4 hours & 3 Sherpas.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
haha, that's ridiculous. doesn't he also hold his fuzz pedal together with elastic bands? i think i read that somewhere... would probably take him 3 times as long as that to set up too... EDIT: don't get me wrong, his tone is consistently amazing... just it seems like a lot of work.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haha, that's ridiculous. doesn't he also hold his fuzz pedal together with elastic bands? i think i read that somewhere... would probably take him 3 times as long as that to set up too... EDIT: don't get me wrong, his tone is consistently amazing... just it seems like a lot of work.

Holy, yeah, that diagram looks confusing as hell...

What songs does he use Fuzz in primarily? Is that his main source of distortion? Cause I see a lot of tabs indicating a distorted guitar is used... would it be a fuzz? Or do you think they just mean overdrive?
maybe it was an OD, i can't remember exactly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
don't do that, you might affect his tone! he only accepts carrier pigeon messages... or the old "two plastic cups and a piece of string" trick in an emergency...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?