Okay, so I've decdided its time after nearly 4 years to upgrade from my old squier strat.

I've decided on a tele, because I like to play indie kinda stuff, and a bit of blues and classic rock. I either play clean or with gain on about 2 or 3 but I still want a bit of punch and heaviness (heaviness as in a strong presence, rather than lost of gain). So I thought a tele would be good.

I went to a shop the other day, and I tried a Fender MIM and a Squier Classic Vibe, which the assistant recommended, although I have to say I wasn't impressed with it compared to the actual Fender one. It was more glassy and hollow sounding, whereas the Fender was brighter and fuller.

I also tried a Fender Lite Ash tele, although it was little too expensive in the shop, I've seen it cheaper elsewhere. Tbh, there wasn't much discernible difference between that and the MIM, at least not really £50. However, I hear it is meant to be better.

So, basically, can anyone advise me on the best telecaster for around £300 (I can strectch to 400 if I really need )?

How is the Lite Ash compared to the MIM?

Are there any other types/brands I should be looking at?
For £400 you would have a chance of finding a MIA tele second hand. That would be my pick, when i was buying my first guitar i couldve had a MIA strat 2nd hand for just over £400, sorta regret not buying it now.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by sam i am
Okay, so I've decdided its time after nearly 4 years to upgrade from my old squier strat.

I've decided on a tele, because I like to play indie kinda stuff, and a bit of blues and classic rock. I either play clean or with gain on about 2 or 3 but I still want a bit of punch and heaviness (heaviness as in a strong presence, rather than lost of gain). So I thought a tele would be good.

I went to a shop the other day, and I tried a Fender MIM and a Squier Classic Vibe, which the assistant recommended, although I have to say I wasn't impressed with it compared to the actual Fender one. It was more glassy and hollow sounding, whereas the Fender was brighter and fuller.

I also tried a Fender Lite Ash tele, although it was little too expensive in the shop, I've seen it cheaper elsewhere. Tbh, there wasn't much discernible difference between that and the MIM, at least not really £50. However, I hear it is meant to be better.

So, basically, can anyone advise me on the best telecaster for around £300 (I can strectch to 400 if I really need )?

How is the Lite Ash compared to the MIM?

Are there any other types/brands I should be looking at?

you can get a MiM standard tele for 279 brand new and you would have some money to change bits if you didnt like em
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Check out the Baja Tele, made in mexico but its got fender custom shop pickups as well as push/pull pots that makes it stand out more plus you can get it for between £300-400 depending on where u look around. I wud have got one but i got the 60's reissue ( I prefer rosewood necks)
Quote by GangsterLi
you can get a MiM standard tele for 279 brand new and you would have some money to change bits if you didnt like em

Yeah I know dat

How bout them lite ash ones? How are they compared to the MIMs/Bajas?
are you after a modern or vintage style of tele? what type of tones are you after? what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are occasional moving or desperation sales in which you can get a MIA tele in your budget. Look at those on craigslist, you could get lucky.

If you want something new though, try both. Personally I think the MIM Fenders are great guitars, but the vintage'd pickups in the Squier sound good, albeit their vintage'd Squier pickups.

Personally I'd get a good used MIM tele and replace the stock pickups with Vintage Noiseless tele pickups. If you get a good deal on the tele that'll run about $375 USD(Easily within your limit) after installations and everything, but it'll sound great; the woods on MIM's are quality, and those pickups are American-sounding pickups IMO.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I have heard some great things about the Squier Classic Vibe. I am really surprised you didn't like it. In my area stores are sold out until late-November/early December. I believe they are listed at $299. I played one and loved it. I am use to playing MIA and CIJ Tele's but this one surprisingly ranked right up there for the price you are paying. Try another one since it might of been just that Tele with the problem.
I think the light ash teles are MIM. But just about any mexican tele will be a great guitar. I had an MIM stamdard with fender vintage noiseless pickups and was very happy with it. Play it first, make sure the frets dont hang off the edge of the fretboard or something wierd and you will be happy. Good luck.
fender classic 60's reissue telecaster
2008 MIJ paisley telecaster
fender superchamp xd
1978 fender super twin reverb
roland microcube
boss ce-2 chorus(MIJ)
Quote by gearjammer
I think the light ash teles are MIM. But just about any mexican tele will be a great guitar. I had an MIM stamdard with fender vintage noiseless pickups and was very happy with it. Play it first, make sure the frets dont hang off the edge of the fretboard or something wierd and you will be happy. Good luck.

I think I read the lite ash Telecaster is Korean-made.
Quote by jamiec123
Check out the Baja Tele, made in mexico but its got fender custom shop pickups as well as push/pull pots that makes it stand out more plus you can get it for between £300-400 depending on where u look around. I wud have got one but i got the 60's reissue ( I prefer rosewood necks)

I was about to recommend this. I have one and it's still the best playing and sounding fender or gibson I've ever played.
Nothing wrong with the MIM Fender Tele's. You may also want to look at the Schecter Tele's. Though the new versions are pretty much humbuckers, you can still find some some single coil Tele's out there (the PT Vintage I believe they're called) and they are real winners!! Heck, Pete Townsend uses them . . .
Hey, good call, they are made in korea. I guess it doesnt matter where it was made, If it feels good, do it!
fender classic 60's reissue telecaster
2008 MIJ paisley telecaster
fender superchamp xd
1978 fender super twin reverb
roland microcube
boss ce-2 chorus(MIJ)
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you after a modern or vintage style of tele? what type of tones are you after? what's your amp?

Erm, can you enlighten me on the differences between modern and vintage?

Tone wise - in the original post I put

"I've decided on a tele, because I like to play indie kinda stuff, and a bit of blues and classic rock. I either play clean or with gain on about 2 or 3 but I still want a bit of punch and heaviness (heaviness as in a strong presence, rather than lots of gain). So I thought a tele would be good."

To elaborate, I want good crunchy overdrive but hopefully without the motes melting into each other too muchas is the tendacy with OD.

And my amp is a Peavey VK 212.
Quote by BrickIsRed
I think I read the lite ash Telecaster is Korean-made.

it is.

Quote by sam i am
Erm, can you enlighten me on the differences between modern and vintage?

Tone wise - in the original post I put

"I've decided on a tele, because I like to play indie kinda stuff, and a bit of blues and classic rock. I either play clean or with gain on about 2 or 3 but I still want a bit of punch and heaviness (heaviness as in a strong presence, rather than lots of gain). So I thought a tele would be good."

To elaborate, I want good crunchy overdrive but hopefully without the motes melting into each other too muchas is the tendacy with OD.

And my amp is a Peavey VK 212.

sorry about missing that you'd already posted the music you play.

generally, vintage-style teles will have 21 frets, a more curved fretboard radius (7.25"- better for chords, not so easy for big bends), lower output pickups, 3-saddle bridge. more modern teles will have 22 frets, flatter radius (more condusive to bending), 6 saddle bridge, maybe higher output pickups which will be more versatile for modern styles.

it's possible to find some with a mixture of those features, of course...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it is.

sorry about missing that you'd already posted the music you play.

generally, vintage-style teles will have 21 frets, a more curved fretboard radius (7.25"- better for chords, not so easy for big bends), lower output pickups, 3-saddle bridge. more modern teles will have 22 frets, flatter radius (more condusive to bending), 6 saddle bridge, maybe higher output pickups which will be more versatile for modern styles.

it's possible to find some with a mixture of those features, of course...

Sounds like I'd maginally prefer modedrn tele's but tbh I'm not that bothered as long as I like the guitar.... I would happily buy a vinatge one.
Quote by sam i am
Sounds like I'd maginally prefer modedrn tele's but tbh I'm not that bothered as long as I like the guitar.... I would happily buy a vinatge one.

no problem.

for vintage-style ones, you could look into older tokai breezysounds... the japanese ones from the late 70s/early 80s are the nicest (supposedly), but the newer ones are cool too if you can get it cheap enough. those'd be second-hand, most likely... prices, on ebay, somewhere between £300-£400 for the late 70s/early 80s ones, maybe £200-£300 if you're lucky for a newer one. other japanese copies would be worth a try too (fernandes, greco etc. etc.).

also there'd be the fender MIM (try a bunch though as QC can be dodgy), and baja (again, try a bunch, from what i hear the weight varies a lot, there's no point in getting one which weighs a ton).

for more modern ones, the blade one is pretty cool, and the in-built preamp (don't worry, it can be bypassed) makes it pretty versatile too. the fender lite ash is probably worth a try too, but try a bunch as again QC can be iffy.

there are probably some really obvious ones which I'm forgetting, too... it's really a matter of trying as many of those as possible to see which you like best...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
both are pretty good, i prefer the lite ash though, considered getting one for a while but didnt.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^