Page 1 of 2
As my fellow residents of the U.K. obviously know, theres been alot of controversy lately over the Brand/Ross prank phone calls. For non U.K. residents who don't know about it, comedians Russel Brand and Jonathon Ross left "obscene" messages on actor Andrew Sachs voicelmail (link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7IHJ66wj9g)

Now, Jeremy Clarkson, who presents Top Gear, has come under fire for his joke about truck drivers. This isn't the first time he's caused controversy, but the reaction is especially fierce this time.

And he's not the only one, as comedian Frankie Boyle also came under attack for a joke about the Queen.

Now personally, while I thought the Ross/Brand phone call was tasteless (yet somewhat amusing when I heard the audio of it), these new complaints are starting to get ridiculous, and I fear the BBC is starting to get touchy. I believe this could muzzle risque comedy and even clamp on free speech, which would of course be disgusting.

And even before the Ross/Brand storm I had a feeling people were complaining to Ofcom just a little too much (pretty much after every episode of Top Gear for example) and that certain parts of the media were becoming rather "anti-smut" and self righteous.

Anyway pit what do you think?
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at Nov 4, 2008,
Answer?

All of the media should be censored.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I think the prank call is directly harassing an individual and is crossing the line. I think the other jokes are ok though.

I'll add that I like Frankie Boyle muchly.
The Jeremy Clarkson and Frankie Boyle things are over the top.

When comedy is offensive to someones face then i think that is a different matter.
Quote by Greenie_777
The Jeremy Clarkson and Frankie Boyle things are over the top.

When comedy is offensive to someones face then i think that is a different matter.

unless its about Piers Morgan
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I think its pathetic. I also don't like how people resign left, right and centre. Although I dont think this particular situation is worth of resignations, I find it very frustrating when people resign and dont take responsibility, its very annoying. This has gone too far ad is only fueled by the media of this country. Sachs wasnt even that bothered, I think he would rather stick with the comments left and not see an apology than have to put up with the media hounds reminding of it. There are some true wimps in this nation, the BBC is one of them.
Xbox Live Gamertag: AndrewTanner87
Invading other peoples privacy is not on

but news papers and hello magazing etc are doing it far worse that Russle Brand and Jonathon Ross has ever done

people are only complaining about Clarkson because of the prank call episode, they just feel they should and are getting all self rightous, its f**king retarded, Clarkson was just making a passing comment, I very much doubt he belives in what he was saying.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by HaKattack
I think I live in America and don't care.

typical.

most americans don't know what is happening in their own country let alone the rest of the world.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
typical.

most americans don't know what is happening in their own country let alone the rest of the world.

Fuck off. Sorry I don't watch British television and news programs. Get out of your own 'arse'.
<Han> I love Hitler
:d
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by HaKattack
Fuck off. Sorry I don't watch British television and news programs. Get out of your own 'arse'.

If you don't care about the subject of a thread then don't post in it, penisbreath.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
the prank phone call thing I can understand because that was direct harassment, the other ones though...
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by rabidguitarist
If you don't care about the subject of a thread then don't post in it, penisbreath.

Freedom of speech
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by Captain Insano
OH GOD! Not Top Gear.

They better not fuck with it.

they wouldnt dare its by far there most watched program
QUOTE=HappyDrugs]Spectator mode.

Quote by Daneeka
Oh God, this is the fastest win i have ever seen.

I think the mods can't bare with your epicness and banned you.

Let's blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
the media's blown everything way outta proportion there only jokin every1 else gets it, why can't they:P anything for a good story
I think they should bleep out every third word on TV for a week as to not risk offending anyone and see how many people complain then.
Jonathon Ross and Russell Brand did take it a bit far by publically humilating a man and his grand-daughter, if you were in Andrew Sachz shoes, how would you feel about an unfunny, squeaky voiced prick phoning you up and leaving messages saying they slept with your grand-daughter? I sure as hell would not be laughing.

However, as always, if something like this happens then every other comedian comes under fire for their comments and it's a bit unfair. Frankie Boyle has ALWAYS been harsh with his material, and only now he's been criticised? A load of bullshit, IMO
Media has always broken ground and should continue to do so. People need to assess what offends them, if things like this do, they need a sense of perspective,
Xbox Live Gamertag: AndrewTanner87
Quote by boreamor
They better not dare touch Mock The Week or there will be hell to pay.

I'd gladly censor all media heavily, just to see that piece of shit die away.

But anyway, I hate this complaining culture we've sunk into recently, people are now saying Clarkson should lose his jobe becuse of the 'kill and prostitute' jokes, it's absurd. I always thought we British were kings of the 'grin and bear it' attitude, where we wouldn't complain.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
"The right to offend is more important than the right not to be offended" - Rowan Atkinson
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
The only reason they're making such a big thing over these stories is to hide the economic balls up that has blessed our country.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7707641.stm

Clarkson's joke, made before the watershed, has now sparked 517 complaints.

But a BBC spokesman said that by Monday morning - before the incident had been reported on by newspapers and websites - there had been 188 complaints.

Sunday's programme, which aired on BBC Two at 2000 GMT, was watched by around seven million viewers.

How mindless can you be to complain about something a day later, and after newspapers report on it?
I think the funniest type of comedy is the type where the punchline is followed by: "hahaha oooooooh".. that stuff is usually funnier. its always funnier when u laugh at times, or things ure not supposed to laugh at

on topic: I think its stupid.. andrew sachs came out and sed "yeah they made a mistake, but they shouldnt quit" which is true.. fooking bbc being dicks.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by HaKattack
I think I live in America and don't care.
Well your television is already massively over-censored. It'd be nice if we didn't end up the same way.
Quote by smb
Well your television is already massively over-censored. It'd be nice if we didn't end up the same way.

Having watched British television quite a bit, I have to say that there really isn't much of a difference as far as censorship is concerned, except for the British being a little more relaxed with nudity, and even that is starting to change.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Having watched British television quite a bit, I have to say that there really isn't much of a difference as far as censorship is concerned, except for the British being a little more relaxed with nudity, and even that is starting to change.

You ever watched Frankie Boyle?

A TV show at 11 in the morning involved him making fun of a terrorist attack on Glasgow and the near-death of one of the BBCs most popular hosts... In the same joke.

I don't think the crew were too impressed
Quote by Untitled001
You ever watched Frankie Boyle?

A TV show at 11 in the morning involved him making fun of a terrorist attack on Glasgow and the near-death of one of the BBCs most popular hosts... In the same joke.

I don't think the crew were too impressed

That probably wouldn't be censored here (depends on what channel it's on)

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Not really true, you can say 'fuck' from 9pm onwards, 'cunt' from 10, although it varies from channel to channel. You can show pretty graphic violence - anyone see Dead Set last week? And quite a lot of nudity. In those regards, British TV is quite liberal, but it'e becoming more restrictive in terms of who you can or can't offend.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
Not really true, you can say 'fuck' from 9pm onwards, 'cunt' from 10, although it varies from channel to channel. You can show pretty graphic violence - anyone see Dead Set last week? And quite a lot of nudity. In those regards, British TV is quite liberal, but it'e becoming more restrictive in terms of who you can or can't offend.

on cable you can say whatever you want, but the networks usually censor it because they don't want to offend corporate sponsors. The government has no regulation of cable TV whatsoever.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
on cable you can say whatever you want, but the networks usually censor it because they don't want to offend corporate sponsors. The government has no regulation of cable TV whatsoever.

Yeah, but you have to pay for cable, that doesn't count as the mainstream TV. Also, sponsors and advertising companies don't have nearly as much power here as they do in America. The government doesn't have any control over the telly here, either; if they did, why would they let offensive satire like Have I Got News For You or Mock The Week (even though that's shit) on air?

I remember reading about Bill Hicks getting his set edited out of Letterman at the 11th hour, because he made a pro-life joke, and The Letterman show was sponsored by a pro-life campaign.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
The thing that I feel is ludicrous is that most people in Britain are more worried about nudity in the media than pointless violence.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by freddaahh
Yeah, but you have to pay for cable, that doesn't count as the mainstream TV. Also, sponsors and advertising companies don't have nearly as much power here as they do in America. The government doesn't have any control over the telly here, either; if they did, why would they let offensive satire like Have I Got News For You or Mock The Week (even though that's shit) on air?

I remember reading about Bill Hicks getting his set edited out of Letterman at the 11th hour, because he made a pro-life joke, and The Letterman show was sponsored by a pro-life campaign.

It does really count as mainstream TV here since it costs less than a Btitish TV license (for basic service) and damn near everyone has it.

Last.fm
well, it isn't america, so, you know... and yeah. So, good luck with that.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
I have a bigger problem with the fact that I think Russel Brand isn't funny and that Andrew Sachs was, so I'll hate him for that.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Quote by boreamor
They better not dare touch Mock The Week or there will be hell to pay.

+1

If they dare Ill personal travel to each ****ers house and put nails thought their testies...
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Page 1 of 2