Well Shavo from SOAD's site 'urSESSION' or whatever it is has a LOT of unsigned hip hop artists, and a big collaboration community. You should check that out, because there are actually some pretty talented and professional sounding rappers on there.
@z4twenny

HA that's true!

I've not much of a rapper but i was able to rap through The Beasty Boys "Sabotage" in Rock Band without any problems.

but yeah... do it yourself or ask that question in the right forum.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
seriously it's just rhyming. especially if you write it out before hand (as most rappers do) it shouldn't be hard at all. freestyles a different story cuz it generally requires you to think on your feet and think ahead about what you're gonna say. but i wouldn't freestyle onto a song and put it on an album.
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
Well Shavo from SOAD's site 'urSESSION' or whatever it is has a LOT of unsigned hip hop artists, and a big collaboration community. You should check that out, because there are actually some pretty talented and professional sounding rappers on there.

I was just going to say that. The 100k battle brought the entire unsigned hip-hop community into one site.
^ lol wut? srsly just rhyming. freestylings different cuz thats shit just coming off the top of your head. but just rapping, you got plenty of time to sit down and write it out and make it sound good and flow however you want it to.
I used to think it was just rhyming too. Like the blues, it comes down to feel and tone.

Some rappers just have a natural sense of flow to what they do, and make it sound so natural. Their phrasing is never awkward. Sure, most beginner guitar players can play some of BB King's licks, but boy... they sure won't be as convincing.

A lot of it comes down to just having a tone people like. Sure, any cat can spit the
rhymes for Bring the Noise, but Chuck D is the man. Analogous to imagining Angus playing a Strat. Sure, the notes would be the same, but the tone just wouldn't be right. Of course, your voice is not like a guitar rig. You can't buy tone.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i have a surplus due to the fact i go to the black school. i can sell you a rapper for three fiddy
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
^ it was about that time i realized it wasn't mosh face, it was dat gawt damn loch ness monsta!
Quote by z4twenny
^ lol wut? srsly just rhyming. freestylings different cuz thats shit just coming off the top of your head. but just rapping, you got plenty of time to sit down and write it out and make it sound good and flow however you want it to.

LOL!
you could say the same thing about anything. Music is just notes. Paintings are just pigments. Dancing is just moving. Poetry is just drunken scribbles ( ). Besides, one could rap without rhyming.
^ no, im pretty sure the basis behind rapping is rhyming. i have heard rapper stick words together that didn't really rhyme (as in if they were spoken in english they wouldn't rhyme) but once these words are ghettofied they are forced to rhyme. i'm not saying everyone who does it is gonna sound like eminem or snoop dog or dre but its just basically just rhyming. it helps to have a unique rhythm to it but thats about it.
dude its playing a guitar. anybody can do it.

seriously it's just playing a melody. especially if you write it out before hand (as most guitarists do) it shouldn't be hard at all. improvisation a different story cuz it generally requires you to think on your feet and think ahead about what you're gonna play. but i wouldn't improvise onto a song and put it on an album.

Fixed.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
um I'm black, but I can't rap 2 lines to save my own life, do I count still?
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Quote by XxDre09xX
um I'm black, but I can't rap 2 lines to save my own life, do I count still?

Neither can Soulja Boy. It's all about the mindset dude, you gotta THINK you're the greatest thing ever ...
Quote by Archeo Avis
Fixed.

we both know the inherent difference is that people aren't born playing guitar. from the time you start talking you're exposed to basic rhyming. as for putting freestyle on an album, name one. any one album that has a rap song that wasn't put together beforehand. i've not heard of any big rappers say " yeah, well on that track i just went in there and they played this beat and i started freestyling over it and they said it was perfect"
Last edited by z4twenny at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by z4twenny
^ no, im pretty sure the basis behind rapping is rhyming. i have heard rapper stick words together that didn't really rhyme (as in if they were spoken in english they wouldn't rhyme) but once these words are ghettofied they are forced to rhyme. i'm not saying everyone who does it is gonna sound like eminem or snoop dog or dre but its just basically just rhyming. it helps to have a unique rhythm to it but thats about it.

No, it's not. Rhyming is a technique just like metaphors and hyperboles. You can't say something like poetry is based on metaphors. Or that playing guitar is based on using a pick. Rhyming may be found most of the times in rap, but that's not what it is based on.
There are also a few rappers who don't rhyme much and focus more on the message:

I'm falling up flights of stairs, scraping myself from the sidewalk,
jumping from rivers to bridges,
drowning in pure air
Hip Hop is lying on the side of the road, half dead to itself
Blood scrawled over its mangled flesh, like jazz, stuffed into an oversized record bag
Tuba lips swollen beyond recognition
Diamond studded teeth strewn like rice at karma's wedding
The ring bearer bore bad news
Minister of information wrote the wrong proclamation
Now everyone's singing the wrong song
Dissonant chords find necks like nooses
That nigga kicked the chair from under my feet
Harlem shaking from a rope, but still on beat
"Damn that loop is tight" Nigga, found a way to sample the way the truth the light
Can't wait to play myself at the party tonight
Niggas are gonna die
Cop car swerves to the side of the road
Hip Hop takes its last breath
The cop scrawls vernacular manslaughter onto a yellow pad,
then balls the paper into his hand, deciding he'd rather free-style
"You have the right to remain silent"
You have the right to remain silent
You have the right to remain silent.
And maybe you should have before your bullshit manifested.
-From "Telegram" by Saul Williams

To stay on topic: Try searching around the S&L section, there's gotta be someone
^ you've not convinced me. if its not based primarily on rhyming then what is it based on? i'm not knocking rap i'm just saying it shouldn't be that hard to sit down and write up something that flows and tells a story.
Last edited by z4twenny at Nov 5, 2008,
QUALITY rap is quite different than just some bullsh!t rhymes. if you want lyrics that mean something and flow well that does take talent. if you want to be soulja boy... well thats another story..
@z4twenny - so are you suggesting that Chuck D isn't a skilled musician? I mean, I've never heard him sing or play a note. I will suggest, though, that very few people could grab a lyric sheet to one of his songs (not many people write like him either, for that matter) and deliver it just as effectively as he does. Same with KRS-One. Those dudes have that sound that you just can't deny has an effect on people, and a delivery that is so natural and phrased so fluidly.

(laughing out loud at visualizing myself doing Fight the Power)

As I say... it's like the blues. Any joker can play some BB King licks, but it takes BB himself on Lucille (his Gibson) to make it sound just so. Anything else is just.... not right.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.