Alright, I intend to get a new amp for the holidays, and I intend it to be tube. Only problem is with the economy being crap and my job being nonexistent, my budget is small, about $200-$250 max. I was thinking of getting a small-medium sized tube combo and running it through a used cab when I need more volume like at gigs. Anyway, can I get some recommendations? I play mainly blues and classic rock, but I try to throw a bit of everything in, from folk to metal, and I'm fine with buying a distortion pedal for metal. As long as it'll remain low-priced once the cab is added in, I'm fine with a head too.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 4, 2008,
there is no real volume differnce between a half stack and a combo

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V50-112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487054-i1322695.gc

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

cant realy recomend a tube amp but i read your sig(the blues came from gospel)
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
+ to the crate

hai nec
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Hmm..alright, suppose I'll try the Crate next time I go to Guitar center then.

And heya Exo. ^^
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
For 250 $ the furthest you'll get is an okay amp with all the money spent on it, if you throw in a cab expect the shittiest rig.

First of all you must look into used equipment.

For 250 $ you could get your hands on a nice tube amp but it would probably be either 5w (like the clean-headroom-less black heart little giant) OR max 30 but with only an 3-EQ and 1 channel (clean) to be cranked then pushed with a pedal.

I've seen bunches of traynors in my area's pawnshops lately, guitar mates & stuff like that, these can do blues pretty well, rock and the following would be achieved with a combination of overdrive & low-distortion pedals.

Get to know people that are using a lot of equipment around your area, I got my hands on a USA fender hot rod deluxe b-stock for less than 500 $ that way, guy didn't used it, usually local forums are better places to look than interstate advertising websites.

Have a good search !
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
I have Fender Champ 600 ($200). It would work well for Classic Rock and Blues but you'll need to buy an overdrive pedal for it. The Digitech Bad Monkey can be had for $50, but if you save a little more, you can get an Ibanez TS9 ($100).

It also can be used as a head that can be attached to a cab. I'm not sure if it can do metal though, even with a pedal...

Maybe Blackheart or Epiphone Valve Jr. would be better?
Saint Louis Blues
+1 for the crate.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Its very modern sounding as well especially with some OD infront of it.
If you want something more old shcool look at Palominos and Vintage Clubs, there both discontinued crate amps.
Quote by The Picker
I have Fender Champ 600 ($200). It would work well for Classic Rock and Blues but you'll need to buy an overdrive pedal for it. The Digitech Bad Monkey can be had for $50, but if you save a little more, you can get an Ibanez TS9 ($100).

It also can be used as a head that can be attached to a cab. I'm not sure if it can do metal though, even with a pedal...

Maybe Blackheart or Epiphone Valve Jr. would be better?

I like this idea too my friend. I don't consider Crates to be modern sounding but if you can find one, they are a great value and can certainly do blues and classic rock. I would be shockd tho if you find (V18 for example) at GC.

used really is the way to go for you but I think we've discussed that already. Good Luck.

Quote by Mitchell?
Crate V will do you for classic rock and blues.

+1 for the Crate V. I picked up a Crate V18 a few weeks ago on clearance at Musicians Friend for $199, and I really like it. I play alt rock/blues, and it's great for the price. I'd love to get a bigger/better amp, but I'm a college student, and rather strapped for cash....
Good Deals: imgooley, pak1351
Quote by neptune1988
sharkbait08 hoo-ha-ha

Lol. Thank you. In the almost 4 years I've been here, nobody has ever said that. [really!]. Yes, that's where it came from, too.
Good Deals: imgooley, pak1351