Need help with selecting the right pedal.

Got my first tube amp a month ago, a used 100w JCM900 Dual Reverb Head with a 1960A cab. I really like how the amp sound without any effects, it is really good for playing rock but I do not get enough distortion for playing metal. Where I live i cannot play the amp any more than 4-5 on my volume dial so till now I have been using my friend's stock Boss MT2. While this has helped me get a more distorted tone at lower volumes, I am not completely satistisfied with the resulting tone.

So I need some advice from people that have used JCM900's or anyone that uses tube amps (as i have been using an AD15VT prior). I have thought of 3 possible actions to take but i am not sure which would lead to the best results.

1)Get a new distortion pedal: I was thinking of returning my friend's MT-2 for a new distortion pedal. I was thinking maybe a Metal Muff, but I am yet to try out any pedal besides the MT-2 I borrowed.

2) Get an overdrive pedal: I am not sure how an overdrive really works, my guess is it sort of boosts the signal. But if i were to use the overdrive on the Gain channel of a JCM900 would I be able to get tones to play metal?

3) Get a Power Attenuator: The THD Hotplate seems like a great tool to have (although it is a bit pricey). I was thinking maybe play the amp at max volume and just use the attenuator to bring the volume down. But i am not sure if i will get enough distortion if i turn up my amp to max master and use the hotplate to reduce volume to acceptable levels. Maybe a combination of a THD HOTPLATE and an OVERDRIVE? I'm really trying to figure out things in my head with no experience.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
If you get the hotplate, an overdrive will NOT be an issue. 900's are full of gain. And cranked..well..I guess you don't know, but it's really too much. So I would do attenuator, unless you really donm't have alotta cash. Then id look into an OD.
BUY MY JACKSON
Quote by imgooley
I don't know what that shit (racer x or paul gilbert) sounds like.

Quote by DSchmitty
Gilbert is a bad riff writer.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24

Treble - 0
Bass - 0
Mids - 0
Volume - 0
'Tude - 10
Whiny Voice - 10
Panties - White

Quote by Shabadoo
I brake for huge nuts
hmm ok

so pretty much as i hit the end on my master the amp becomes very distorted?

nice...
Buy a Digitech Bad Monkey and use it as a boost pedal.
Basically, turn the gain to about 3, the volume to 10 and the tone to wherever you want (all of this on the pedal, I mean).
It retains your amps tone, but it'll push the tubes hard, making it break up a lot more.
I got one, and I use it for a solo boost pedal. It's great, and they aren't too pricey either.

And example of a boost pedal in use would be Zakk Wylde. He has a JCM800, and he runs a Boss SD-1 infront of it to increase the gain and to tighten the sound up a bit.
Look on Youtube for examples.
Member of the Laney Cult
ahh thanks, the bad monkey looks like a good option, quite cheap.

How does it rate against a Keeley Modded Ts9 or ts808?

My friends been telling me that they are the best overdrive pedals he has used ever
Quote by krazy_korean
ahh thanks, the bad monkey looks like a good option, quite cheap.

How does it rate against a Keeley Modded Ts9 or ts808?

My friends been telling me that they are the best overdrive pedals he has used ever

The two pedals you mentioned then are nicer than the Bad Monkey, without a doubt.
But, they're also a few hundred dollars more expensive.
If you have the money, I'd really recommend looking into them.
If you're on a budget, the Bad Monkey is very nice. I'd compare the Bad Monkey to a stock TS9, but I like it even more than the TS9.
Member of the Laney Cult
You want an overdrive pedal or a boost pedal.

Using a distortion pedal like the MT-2 changes the character of the amp's distortion. Ideally, you should either be adding gain to the amp's current distortion, or laying overdrive on top.

Using something like a Fulltone OCD, Tube Screamer(Ibanez TS-9, Maxon OD-9, BBE Green Screamer) would be a good idea.

Using a transparent boost pedal like an MXR Microamp or a BBE Boosta Grande in front of the amp will allow you to have more gain, without changing how the amp's fundamental tone sounds.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You want an overdrive pedal or a boost pedal.

Using a distortion pedal like the MT-2 changes the character of the amp's distortion. Ideally, you should either be adding gain to the amp's current distortion, or laying overdrive on top.

Using something like a Fulltone OCD, Tube Screamer(Ibanez TS-9, Maxon OD-9, BBE Green Screamer) would be a good idea.

Using a transparent boost pedal like an MXR Microamp or a BBE Boosta Grande in front of the amp will allow you to have more gain, without changing how the amp's fundamental tone sounds.

This.

You can use an MT-2 as a boost by setting the gain to zero and the volume to ten, but it will still color your sound.
Or check out a Proco Rat. A lot of the early death metal bands used this combo (jcm900 and rat).
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar