Alright, first, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I wanted some actual bassists recommendations.

Anyway, I'm a guitarist looking for a bassist, along the lines of either Geddy Lee, Les Claypool, John Entwistle and/or Cliff Burton. I've tried putting up ads, but they've never worked so far. So I wanted the advice of some bassists; what do I need to do to try and get a bassist in the style(s) I'm looking for?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
If a friend of yours is gonna start learning to play guitar, tell him to learn bass instead; that's what my friend did, and now I play bass!... is that bad?
move to austin, there are tons of teenage bass players here.
which means they'll be as good as me in a few years.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
do you play bass? looking for a solid groover with a fluid melodic style who isn't afraid of solos or holding the groove. think Claypool, Entwistle, Burton, or Lee (Geddy, though if you play like Will we aren't gonna be displeased). be prepared for jamming, songwriting, and all out rocking out! call Nick Krosis 555-1193

something like that...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
do you play bass? looking for a solid groover with a fluid melodic style who isn't afraid of solos or holding the groove. think Claypool, Entwistle, Burton, or Lee (Geddy, though if you play like Will we aren't gonna be displeased). be prepared for jamming, songwriting, and all out rocking out! call Nick Krosis 555-1193

something like that...

*dials 555-1193*
line is busy
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
*dials 555-1193*
line is busy

seriously, that sounds like a sweet gig.

I'd call.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity

something like that...

**** yeah! Just gimme about a year of practice... add that to my two weeks I currently have, and I hopefully won't suck!
^ oh no, you'll still suck.
six months ago I had been playing for a year...and I sucked....
and I practice, really practice, around six hours every day.
I have no life.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
^ oh no, you'll still suck.
six months ago I had been playing for a year...and I sucked....
and I practice, really practice, around six hours every day.
I have no life.

Thanks for the motivation. I'll just give up on bass and life in general now...
Maybe its where you are looking. Check out local music studios where they also teach. My bass teacher constantly hooks up his students with like minded band members. I've gotten several gigs / jam sessions from that source.
You could always start playing yourself if you can't find anybody. But I honestly have a hard time beliving you can find ANYONE who plays a bass, atleast somewhat good. Everyone and their grandma plays bass, it shouldn't be that hard if you really put out the want adds.
Well do you go to high school or university or something? Cause if you ask around you should find someone fairly easily. Post flyers in your local music stores and places bass players might frequent.
Quote by herby190
Thanks for the motivation. I'll just give up on bass and life in general now...

JUST KIDDING!!!

You'll be alot better than you are now, but you'll never be as good as you want to be.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
JUST KIDDING!!!

You'll be alot better than you are now, but you'll never be as good as you want to be.

No one is ever as good as they want to be.

I wanted to be one of those mediocre groover bassists who are just hot as hell.

man, Mediocrity flew by so fast.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
And I have yet to become hot as hell, though there isn't much I can do about that...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
don't look for bassists with particular styles of people... (coz tbh, that annoyed me a little bit)

just say what music you play and the right one will turn up, and after all you want some original and not just a copy thrown into your band that will make it sound weird...
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by necrosis1193
Alright, first, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I wanted some actual bassists recommendations.

Anyway, I'm a guitarist looking for a bassist, along the lines of either Geddy Lee, Les Claypool, John Entwistle and/or Cliff Burton. I've tried putting up ads, but they've never worked so far. So I wanted the advice of some bassists; what do I need to do to try and get a bassist in the style(s) I'm looking for?

i'm not surprised it's never worked... you've listed 4 of the most renowned rock bass players ever, and 99.9% of who guys who read your ad won't be up to the job... those that WOULD be up to the job probably have a lot of other options....

I have to say though (as someone who played bass for 20 years or so), that you're to be HIGHLY commended for trying to find a bass player whose style would be so prominent and in your face (most guitarists don't want that from a bass player)... with the exception of Cliff Burton, all those guys were allowed stomp all over the guitar in the mix
out of here
Big thanks to everyone who was willing to post and help a guitarist out. Wish me luck in actually finding someone. ^^;

Quote by inflatablefilth
i'm not surprised it's never worked... you've listed 4 of the most renowned rock bass players ever, and 99.9% of who guys who read your ad won't be up to the job... those that WOULD be up to the job probably have a lot of other options....

I have to say though (as someone who played bass for 20 years or so), that you're to be HIGHLY commended for trying to find a bass player whose style would be so prominent and in your face (most guitarists don't want that from a bass player)... with the exception of Cliff Burton, all those guys were allowed stomp all over the guitar in the mix

That's the thing though. I want a bassist who stands out, a bassist who's bass can be loud enough to be heard with the rest of the band rather than just being the thump you tap your foot to, a bassist that can make people argue over who gets the bass track rather than the guitar track on Rock Band and Guitar Hero, a bassist I have to compete with for the more entertaining show, a bassist who can make the guitarists in the crowd be impressed.

In that case though, could you recommend some less-skilled bassists I could list and still get the style of bassist I want?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 5, 2008,
hmmm. try checking out a jazz bassist. if you know any, they are usually quite capable of what you desire. they will sound more smooth and slow, but if they are influenced by jazz they will develop and avoid straight root notes.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Okay, you are trying to hunt an Unsigned Bassist, a rare creature, but not hard to find if you know how to track them. Similar to a creature known as a Guitarist, they gather in Music Stores. Also, they tend to associate themselves with a creature known as a Bass Guitar Teacher; ask them to find one for you.
Want a great bass player? Find the best, fattest, and most self-conscious guitar player you know, and ridicule his guitar playing until he takes up bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Want a great bass player? Find the best, fattest, and most self-conscious guitar player you know, and ridicule his guitar playing until he takes up bass.

self conscious guitar player???????

THEY MAKE THOSE?????????? i thought they were a myth
Quote by herby190
Okay, you are trying to hunt an Unsigned Bassist, a rare creature, but not hard to find if you know how to track them. Similar to a creature known as a Guitarist, they gather in Music Stores. Also, they tend to associate themselves with a creature known as a Bass Guitar Teacher; ask them to find one for you.

This is true. I should know, as I am one.

Ask your guitar teacher, necro. My former guitar teacher had a seemingly endless list of like-minded musicians. Also, try to go to a Rock Camp USA thing. I found most of my current band there.

Quote by thefitz
Want a great bass player? Find the best, fattest, and most self-conscious guitar player you know, and ridicule his guitar playing until he takes up bass

YOU BEST BE JOKIN' BITCH.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112

YOU BEST BE JOKIN' BITCH.

Of course he's joking, there's no such thing as a "self concious guitarist".
They died out in the 80's.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
Of course he's joking, there's no such thing as a "self concious guitarist".
They died out in the 80's.

Well you can always fatten a guitar player up after making him sit on a herpes infected toilet seat. That'll get the ball rolling.

Worked on me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Wait wait wait!! What happened to the idea about hanging out with chicks...I kinda like fudgers idea, though I question his motives..

Btw...my teacher hooked me up with yet another jam group last night. So I have blues/jazz on Monday, Jazz on Wednesday and funk on Sat now. I still think you should talk to a bass teacher.
Im on my way, necrosis1193.

... If only.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia