If I purchase an electric drumkit, how would I go about recording drums on my multi-track recorder?

Could I connect the outputs on my drumkit straight into the track inputs on my mixer?
I would think not, as they have to go through the "brain" to get the drum sounds. What about midi/usb?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by Smidgey
If I purchase an electric drumkit, how would I go about recording drums on my multi-track recorder?

Could I connect the outputs on my drumkit straight into the track inputs on my mixer?

Some modules have many outs like the higher end Roland TD modules however some only have a set of stereo outs making it a one shot record so get the sounds right from the start.

IF you have a computer and MIDI out on the module, use MIDI to record to the PC as you have 16 channels to work with on this setup making it easier to tweak after recording.

I have owned quite a few modules though the years, everything from the Alesis DM5, to the Roland TD10 and now I run a Roland TD6V. I used to record using the main outs on the module all the time until I found out how much better software drums sound which can be triggered by MIDI. You just get a ton more options with MIDI.

Read Tweak's Guide, in my sig. It goes over MIDI and everything else.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by fender351
just run from the line out/headphone jack out to the mixer

Would doing this mean that ALL drum sounds would be recorded onto the same, single track, leaving you with no means to mix between the drum pads?
What you normally hear when you plug phones into that port is what will be recorded.

That port is for driving phones, if you have a set of main outs it;s better to use those. That way you can monitor with the headphone port.

Best way once again is by going with MIDI though....
Quote by moody07747

Best way once again is by going with MIDI though....

+1.

.... and if you decide in the end that the sounds in your module are better than any of your software sounds, you can send the midi track back into your module and record the outputs like you suggested in your post.

Kinda like having your cake and eating it too.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.