I'm stuck between 3 guitars.

I've been thinking a lot, or almost constantly about what I want for my next guitar.

I'm going to say it now, don't suggest the ESP models of these guitars to me or different versions of the ones I'm thinking of. I already figured out which of them I want but now it's between these three specifically and not any of their counterparts.

My first choice was the Alexi 600: This guitar is $1200 on Musician's Friend and here's the reviews and specs of it.
MF: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Alexi600-Alexi-Laiho-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=542075
ESP site: http://espguitars.com/guitars_alexi.html

I found out about the KH-602 later on and I wanted this much more and it's $1100 on Musician's Friend and the reviews and specs are here.
MF: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-KH602-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Guitar?sku=516641
ESP site: http://espguitars.com/guitars_kirk.html

Today I stumbled across the LTD MH-400. This is a $700 guitar with a finish I don't particularly like, a lower grade bridge and only a set-thru neck but for $400-500 less, it seems like it might be a much better choice financially. But in the reviews, I saw that the trem goes out of tune real easily when you use it so that's another thing I don't want, especially as a guitarist who hasn't owned a guitar with a tremolo on it before. I don't know how to mess with the bridges and I don't really want to try my luck at learning how to do it myself either.
MF: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684
ESP site: http://espguitars.com/guitars_mh.html

I greatly appreciate any advice given, particularly from people who own one or more of these models but even if you've just played one of them or know things about them through another source, then it's still appreciated just as much! Or you can even just tell me what you think from checking out the links I put there as well.
Last edited by RC52190 at Nov 5, 2008,
I'd for the KH-602. The specs are decent, and the shape isn't the shape of something that you might possibly regret further down the track.
I wouldn't limit myself to just LTDs though, if I were you.
Look into Jackson as well. The DK2M comes to mind. Really nice guitar.
Member of the Laney Cult
Chances are you won't like the KH, just because it's a sig and fits someone elses body better than yours. You should just go to a shop or GC and try some stuff out. Something that was "made for you".
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by JaykeSucks
I'd for the KH-602. The specs are decent, and the shape isn't the shape of something that you might possibly regret further down the track.
I wouldn't limit myself to just LTDs though, if I were you.
Look into Jackson as well. The DK2M comes to mind. Really nice guitar.

Yea I've been leaning towards the KH-602 since I found out about it. The shape of the Alexi makes it extremely hard for me to play it. I just figured I might get used to it after a while but it is my favorite guitar as far as looks go. The KH-602 just looks like the guitar I have now but it has a whammy bar and cool inlays as opposed to mine which doesn't. lol I wasn't really limiting myself to them on purpose but the guitars on the Jackson, Ibanez, Dean and Schecter sites didn't appeal to me the way the ESP/LTD's did. Plus I hear that ESP/LTD's are really good for the price
Quote by shredforbread33
Chances are you won't like the KH, just because it's a sig and fits someone elses body better than yours. You should just go to a shop or GC and try some stuff out. Something that was "made for you".

Well every review I've seen on the thing is saying it's amazing so shouldn't the same apply to those people too? XD
they all look pretty cool...
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Why the sudden change in mind?

Please for the love of god, DO NOT get the USA Alexi... you want, actually but the RR-shaped ones (http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/alexi_laiho/index.html) the USA ones look more like a flying V.

I've got the Edwards E-AL-166
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Why the sudden change in mind?

Please for the love of god, DO NOT get the USA Alexi... you want, actually but the RR-shaped ones (http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/alexi_laiho/index.html) the USA ones look more like a flying V.

I've got the Edwards E-AL-166

I don't know, I just want to make sure I put the right amount of thought into this instead of brainlessly putting out over $1000 for a guitar, you know? lol
I actually haven't heard anything bad about the USA ones. Aren't those just the LTD Alexi-600s that are the USA models? It got amazing reviews.
Quote by vinc3nt
they all look pretty cool...

Yea I know right?! That's what's pissing me off! D:<
Not to sound off-putting, but sometimes too much thought leads to inaction.

Regardless, here're my 2 cents... the USA Alexi are based on a different shape altogether, ESP were blocked from selling the actual Alexi Signature as Jackson still owns the rights to the RR shape. I can't recall who was telling me that the USA Alexi is actually a King V. Right or wrong, it definitely isn't a RR shape, which is what Alexi actually uses.

I tried the USA Alexi a few months after I bought my 166 and they don't feel right. You have the larger lower horn to contend with. They may be the same, but I still prefer my Edwards as it feels slicker.

Sides, if you're gonna buy a signature guitar, why buy a of a signature which isn't the shaped used by the guitarist? Might as well get the guitar as it is shaped.

I would buy the KH-602 any day over the Alexi sig.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Not to sound off-putting, but sometimes too much thought leads to inaction.

Regardless, here're my 2 cents... the USA Alexi are based on a different shape altogether, ESP were blocked from selling the actual Alexi Signature as Jackson still owns the rights to the RR shape. I can't recall who was telling me that the USA Alexi is actually a King V. Right or wrong, it definitely isn't a RR shape, which is what Alexi actually uses.

I tried the USA Alexi a few months after I bought my 166 and they don't feel right. You have the larger lower horn to contend with. They may be the same, but I still prefer my Edwards as it feels slicker.

Sides, if you're gonna buy a signature guitar, why buy a of a signature which isn't the shaped used by the guitarist? Might as well get the guitar as it is shaped.

I would buy the KH-602 any day over the Alexi sig.

Yea ever since I discovered the KH-602 I would've taken it over the Alexi anytime as well. It's not like I was leaning towards the Alexi, I've been leaning towards the KH-602 the whole time but I was still putting some consideration into the Alexi. XD Thanks for the advice though. Maybe I'll just tell my mind to shut the **** up and I'll go buy the KH-602! The MH-400 was kind of my last choice so if I'm not going to get the Alexi over the KH, obviously I won't get the MH.
You could also look into the LTD MH1000 which has a reliable trem (like the KH), is not a sig, has uber abalone all over it and EMGs.
Quote by Mwoit
You could also look into the LTD MH1000 which has a reliable trem (like the KH), is not a sig, has uber abalone all over it and EMGs.

Yea that was one of the guitars I was checking out before I narrowed my selection down to what it is now actually. I decided against it because I saw a bunch of bad reviews for it or not necessarliy -BAD- reviews but people were saying it isn't worth what it costs and it's almost as much as the KH anyway so may as well get the better guitar for a little more. Thank you for the suggestion though :]
why dont you go out and play some of these guitars instead of just looking at reviews on the net. some reviews arent very relibable being writtn by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

another thing for thought be warned trems are annoynig to change tuning on even from going to like drop d from standard they may look cool and do awesome divebombs but yeah just think about it before you buy
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by Dan shreds
why dont you go out and play some of these guitars instead of just looking at reviews on the net. some reviews arent very relibable being writtn by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

another thing for thought be warned trems are annoynig to change tuning on even from going to like drop d from standard they may look cool and do awesome divebombs but yeah just think about it before you buy

Because no one carries them wherever I go to try them out. I've gone to all the nearby guitar centers and I haven't been able to fin an Alexi 600 or a KH-602. I haven't searched for the MH-400 though, I just learned of that guitar the other day. Many guitar centers don't carry ESP models though.
Quote by RC52190
Because no one carries them wherever I go to try them out. I've gone to all the nearby guitar centers and I haven't been able to fin an Alexi 600 or a KH-602. I haven't searched for the MH-400 though, I just learned of that guitar the other day. Many guitar centers don't carry ESP models though.

do you guys just have guitar center or do you have any small stores? but anyway can't you get guitar center to order one of the models in to try out and see if you like. and i would probably go with either the KH or the Horizon i'm not a big fan of the shape of the alexi
Quote by azn_guitarist25
do you guys just have guitar center or do you have any small stores? but anyway can't you get guitar center to order one of the models in to try out and see if you like. and i would probably go with either the KH or the Horizon i'm not a big fan of the shape of the alexi

There's probably some small stores somewhere but I just moved here a couple months ago so I don't know the area very well and all I've found is Guitar Centers. Would they actually order a model in even if it's not guaranteed that I'll buy it?
Well, dude, V's are my favorite guitar body! lol I love how the Alexi looks but as far as playing it goes, I'm not a fan of the shape there because it's difficult for me to play a V. ):
Quote by RC52190
Yea that was one of the guitars I was checking out before I narrowed my selection down to what it is now actually. I decided against it because I saw a bunch of bad reviews for it or not necessarliy -BAD- reviews but people were saying it isn't worth what it costs and it's almost as much as the KH anyway so may as well get the better guitar for a little more. Thank you for the suggestion though :]

Eh? I haven't heard any bad reviews regarding the MH1000. The only complaint I know of is the abalone being a tad ugly and that's subjective.

If you want to go for the extra step, check out an ESP M-II. Majority of Sig guitars are overpriced anyways, only some deserve to be bought.
Quote by Mwoit
Eh? I haven't heard any bad reviews regarding the MH1000. The only complaint I know of is the abalone being a tad ugly and that's subjective.

If you want to go for the extra step, check out an ESP M-II. Majority of Sig guitars are overpriced anyways, only some deserve to be bought.

Yea I looked at that one, but it costs $500 more than the KH-602 so what's the point? It's not like I'm saving anything on it and I don't really know which is better. I can't imagine the M-II is that much better than the KH-602, if any better at all.
When i bought my esp i was lookin at the jeff hanneman sig model. I told the guy at the guitar shop i dont like trems though> and he went and grabbed an esp ltd mh250lt. i played it loved it and bought it. I still love it! it feels great sounds great, looks great. So im sure if you get the better mh400 model you cant go wrong. I think the ltd line is a whole lot of quality and bang for the buck.