I want to fit new tuners to my Strat copy. I've been lead to believe that Gotoh make high quality parts, and was interested in one or the other of these:

Gotoh 510 Series 6 In Line Black Chrome

Gotoh 381 Series 6 In Line Black Chrome Locking

The set below are Locking, but are slightly less expensive. Is the only advantage to locking tuners in this example the ease of restringing, or are they more likely to stay in tune with tremolo use than the first set?

Would you have any other recommendations?
Locking all the way. Some simple hardware changes can make a world of difference for a troublesome Strat. Locking tuners, graph tech(or something of equal material) string tees/nuts, and those special slip-saddles for the bridge, you'd be good to go

EDIT: Assuming you really use the trem.
I just like the look of Strats, I've found out ( a bit too late) I'm more of a hardtail type of guy, so I'm setting mine up with a tremol-no
Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Nov 4, 2008,
Hmmm.

I'm guessing that both of the above tuners are high quality. I do like the idea of being able to restring quickly and easily. But are the non-locking set above a better overall tuner than the locking ones?
the general theory is that they hold their tune better.
however, you gotta into account several things
- most players, even very experienced ones, can't even string a guitar properly, which would lead people to say that regular tuners don't hold their tune as well as locking ones. This could just be the winding technique of the player
- while easier to restring (Just pull the string straight through, and lock it, the way mine work), it takes longer, so if you're gigging and break a string, you could be in a tight spot (take out a coin, unlock the tuner, remove broken string, dig up new string, restring, tune, relock)..

It's up to you, really.

EDITFORASECONDTIME: Missed your last question. Yes, really, the 510 series is the better of the two.
OK, thanks Øttər and Stratoblaster73.

You mentioned a Graphtech nut, which is something else I was considering fitting. Is this something that is best left to a professional, as I've been led to believe that it's not the most straightforward proceedure, and it's important to get it aligned correctly?
Quote by Stratoblaster73
Locking all the way. Some simple hardware changes can make a world of difference for a troublesome Strat. Locking tuners, graph tech(or something of equal material) string tees/nuts, and those special slip-saddles for the bridge, you'd be good to go

EDIT: Assuming you really use the trem.
I just like the look of Strats, I've found out ( a bit too late) I'm more of a hardtail type of guy, so I'm setting mine up with a tremol-no

you shouldnt worry about a tremol-no, just tighten the claw right up and that'll keep it nice and tight
Quote by Diamond Dave
you shouldnt worry about a tremol-no, just tighten the claw right up and that'll keep it nice and tight

Bit too late, I've got it now
Quote by Ch0yc3
I want to fit new tuners to my Strat copy. I've been lead to believe that Gotoh make high quality parts, and was interested in one or the other of these:

Gotoh 510 Series 6 In Line Black Chrome

Gotoh 381 Series 6 In Line Black Chrome Locking

The set below are Locking, but are slightly less expensive. Is the only advantage to locking tuners in this example the ease of restringing, or are they more likely to stay in tune with tremolo use than the first set?

Would you have any other recommendations?
These tuners have been around for a while. The engineering costs have all been paid for. they can afford to sell them cheaper.

the 510s aren't really any great improvement in technology, but they do look nice. (although personally i prefer the classic look of the 381s) what your paying for is looks and engineering costs on a newer model.

stringing properly does fine when you don't use your vibrato.

but no matter how well you string, there are more wraps of string with a conventional tuner. this can be a problem with heavy whammy use.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Stratoblaster73
while easier to restring (Just pull the string straight through, and lock it, the way mine work), it takes longer, so if you're gigging and break a string, you could be in a tight spot (take out a coin, unlock the tuner, remove broken string, dig up new string, restring, tune, relock)..

My locking tuners are just a little thumb wheel on the back. They don't require any tools to lock or unlock.

I have noticed a small difference with my locking tuners. They do stay in tune better but they cost more. The difference was rather small so if you want to save your money then fine. I personally think is what a good use of my money and have no regrets.
They do make a difference, i have sperzals and they are really quick to restring. However if you put strings on properly they do stay in tune well.
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol