So, I've found that writing out guitar work -- especially melodies/solos -- can be extremely tedious and at times, frustrating, without having a bank of knowledge in music theory, and simply thinking about what to play doesn't compare to beauty of spontaneous playing (as in, improvisation almost always yields better results).

This is troubling, because a lot of the time, I am incapable of remembering what I played, no matter what sort of memory -- i.e. finger, eye, ear -- I attempt to use. Of course, I could play each part in smaller bits, being able to memorize and take in a few pieces at a time, and hope that the final production is as grand as it could be.

Still, I'd enjoy being able to run through a minute or two of soloing or riffing, without having to break it into smaller sections. Anyone have any useful advice ?
Gear
Guitars
Music Man John Petrucci 6-String (Mystic Dream)
Ibanez S470DXQM (Moonburst)
Jackson JS30RR (Blue)
Silvertone Apocalypse
Amplifiers
Peavey Valveking 212
Peavey Rage 158
Effects
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Digitech Metal Master
i use handy dandy note book and a cheap recording device to memorize songs while im writting
then i just break apart the riffs and touch it up alittle
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Get something to record with. Record, listen, re-learn, cha-ching.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
record it and write it down.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
^ that's what I do. I record my improvisation then immediately write it down, I'll sometimes stumble upon something I really like and would hate to lose it so it gets recorded and numbered say number 7 and written down in a notebook under "number 7". Then anything else I play which sounds a bit like it might work with "number 7" it gets written down too under the same place. Don't just record the improv you think sounds amazing, often something which sounds ordinary while you are playing will sound different (often better) once you play it back.