Alright so I need a guitar to play flamenco and classical on about $500. Should I get a flamenco or classical? I know classical will have better tone at that price, but will i be able to play flamenco on it?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Last edited by gruenburger at Nov 27, 2008,
Just get a classical with low action and it should work just fine. I started out with a used La Patrie for under $400 and I still love playing that thing.
is there really only one reply? i thought this was a good question.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by mattvl
Just get a classical with low action and it should work just fine. I started out with a used La Patrie for under $400 and I still love playing that thing.

can i lower the action on a classical myself? i know nothing about classicals.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by AcousticSlayer
Most classical/flamenco guitars are already really low.

classical guitars have high action. flamenco guitars have low action.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
bump. flamenco or classical guitar?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Bump your thread again and I'll make sure you get into trouble. Patience is a virtue my friend.

As for the question, well, you won't be getting great classical or flamenco guitars for that price but I'd recommend a classical. Why? Because most guitars called flamenco in that range aren't really flamenco, they just pass of as it.

You can lower your action, but if you're going to do that as a way to get fast, I'm afraid to tell you that practise is the only way to get there. There are also many more differences between a flamenco and a classical guitar. Search the forum. There's a big thread called: Flamenco (duh!) with enough information.

As for what you should take into account when buying the guitar so that it's versatile enough for flamenco? Make sure you try out A LOT of guitars, so that you have a lot of different sounds to compare. You want to look for a bright classical guitar, something too warm and bassy will sound muddy when playing flamenco (you'll get this problem anyway) so make sure you really play the guitars for a while when trying them.

Good luck.
Quote by Confusius
Bump your thread again and I'll make sure you get into trouble. Patience is a virtue my friend.

As for the question, well, you won't be getting great classical or flamenco guitars for that price but I'd recommend a classical. Why? Because most guitars called flamenco in that range aren't really flamenco, they just pass of as it.

You can lower your action, but if you're going to do that as a way to get fast, I'm afraid to tell you that practise is the only way to get there. There are also many more differences between a flamenco and a classical guitar. Search the forum. There's a big thread called: Flamenco (duh!) with enough information.

As for what you should take into account when buying the guitar so that it's versatile enough for flamenco? Make sure you try out A LOT of guitars, so that you have a lot of different sounds to compare. You want to look for a bright classical guitar, something too warm and bassy will sound muddy when playing flamenco (you'll get this problem anyway) so make sure you really play the guitars for a while when trying them.

Good luck.

Alright. Classical. Bright tone. Low Action. Gotchu.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
I didn't say low action. It's not a prerequisite for a flamenco sound and will only make your playing so much easier. Concentrate on a good sounding guitar, then think about whether it's comfortable to play in general, if you like it's overall feel, and only then start thinking whether the action is high or not.
hmmm alright so i have the money and am ready to buy a guitar this week. any other suggestions?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
make sure it saids "solid" with the wood type, otherwise its plywood or something.

for over 500 dollars the guitar better be solid.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4