So, story short I work in a shop that is considering picking up the Dean/DDrum/Luna companies from a Rep. I played some of the Florentine , Exotica, and Performer series, including one of the Koa's...and WOW. Amazing guitars and great prices. I don't want people saying "the V acoustics are ugly", because we refuse to carry them anyway, but if anyone has insight, thoughts, or owns a dean acoustic...your input would be awesome and I would like to hear form you.

And for shop information, we carry Taylor, Ovation, and Fender as our current acoustic brands, and we do very well with them so we are looking to pick up another brand.

Thanks for any info!
I don't think I would touch a Dean. Why not look at something like Seagull or Epiphone? The best fingerpicking guitar I've ever played under $1000 was an epiphone masterbilt series guitar. Rosewood side/back and dreadnought shaped.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Epiphone is impossible to carry for a small shop like us, there buy-in's are ridiculous and that's why you only find them at GC or huge stores. Dean is very reasonable with everything, and I agree I really doubted Dean until I finally played one. Awesome feeling fretboard and neck and great bodies and tops/finishes.
Hmm.. Definitely try to look into the Godin family of guitars(seagull, simon & patrick, norman, Art & Lutherie, La Patrie). They're not a huge company, so they shouldn't be that expensive to carry, but their quality will exceed most brands out there. The company is based in Quebec, Canada, so it's not that far away either.

I have both a Seagull and an Art & Lutherie in my possession, and the quality for the price is just phenominal. Don't decide on Dean/Luna until you try a guitar from the Godin family.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Hmm.. Definitely try to look into the Godin family of guitars(seagull, simon & patrick, norman, Art & Lutherie, La Patrie). They're not a huge company, so they shouldn't be that expensive to carry

Thought I'd second this - several of the smaller independently owned stores in my area have started carrying the godin family of guitar (specifically acoustics), so I think they're rather friendly to small business.
The Dean acoustics I've tried (not that many, admittedly, I gave up on them quickly) were perfect examples of all-style-no-substance. They all had a lot of inlays, flamey (laminate) tops, back, sides...lots of bright colors...

But the tone is pure crap, literally sounds like cardboard box to me, frets rough, with ragged ends protruding over the edges of the board, poor intonation. These guitars were evidently made to impress newbies with a lot of cosmetic flash. I see a big future for these as wall-hangers or planter boxes, or EL KA-BONG guitars...

I have to second the Seagull/Art & Lutherie/Godin axes for lower-end bang for the buck. The Seagulls in particular are very nice guitars for the money... their solid top back and sides axes retail in the $350-400 range. They aren't pretty, but they play right and they have tone.
What's the buy-in for Takamine? Aren't Takamine and Ovation owned by the same company?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^yeah Tak and Ovations come from the same supplier, and the buy in's are very reasonable considering how much product we use under the same umbrella of brands supplied by that supplier, sorry I forgot to mention we carry them.

And I wasn't overly impressed with the sound of Dean's as well, just seeing if I was playing bad models or what.
^Nope. Dean acoustics just all in all suck to be brutal.

Now is where I agree with everyone else who said to go with the Godin family.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
The Dean acoustics I've tried (not that many, admittedly, I gave up on them quickly) were perfect examples of all-style-no-substance. They all had a lot of inlays, flamey (laminate) tops, back, sides...lots of bright colors...

But the tone is pure crap, literally sounds like cardboard box to me, frets rough, with ragged ends protruding over the edges of the board, poor intonation. These guitars were evidently made to impress newbies with a lot of cosmetic flash. I see a big future for these as wall-hangers or planter boxes, or EL KA-BONG guitars...

+1. Definitely made to impress those who are relying on their reputation for electric guitars.
That would work as a selling point tho if that makes sence. 90% of people buying guitars are stupid and just go hey that looks cool. And because it looks cool, it magically sounds better :P. I agree they dont sound hot, but again for the price to have something with a crazy finish won't have a problem selling.
Quote by pacoasterrider
That would work as a selling point tho if that makes sence. 90% of people buying guitars are stupid and just go hey that looks cool. And because it looks cool, it magically sounds better :P. I agree they dont sound hot, but again for the price to have something with a crazy finish won't have a problem selling.

Yikes! All due respect here, but I would rather chew on tinfoil than try to sell something I knew to be crap, just because the buyers were not educated and were likely to go bug-**** for a bunch of tacked-on gingerbread. Personally, I think part of being a really good salesman is to educate buyers as to the distinction between a good value, a lifetime investment, or overpriced junk.

"And then there's the EL KABONG line of guitars...these are PERFECT for doing the Townshend on the edge of the stage! Only $350! Throw in a GIG BAG for free!"
Quote by pacoasterrider

It might be easier to sell nice looking guitars that sound "ok", but in the long run it's better to sell them something of higher quality. If any of those customers have ANY bad experience with the guitar, you might lose some business in the future. It only takes 1 bad experience to stop a customer from coming back to you.

Here is the cost of a customer to your store.
If one customer has a bad experience, that person will tell on average 12 people.
Those 12 people will tell 5 other people.
Lets say that each customer buys about $50 worth of stuff every 6 months.

This is what you're losing from that one bad customer experience:
17 people x $100/year = $1700.

You lose $1700 of potential business, and for a small store, that's a lot of revenue.

Do your store a favour and sell quality products to begin with. Doing things right the first time saves you hassle and keeps customers coming.

I'm a hospitality student, so the first thing they ever taught me in university was to do things right the first time. The customer's satisfaction is what's most important.
Equipment: