ok so i have this amp head.
its acoustic(brand) (the brand that door's guitarrist used)
its a valve head, now heres the deal i have no idea if its for bass or guitar
the only knowbs it has are volume, master(no idea what it does it actsjust like volume) bass, mid, treble and presence
it has a low and high input, whichi have no idea wtf are for.
so any of you wizkids know anything bout this?
the model :rock 100
and no its not ANYWHERE on the internet, been talking to colectors about it, it seems very rare find.
heres a pic.http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c377/pablomedina/172749.jpg
good luck
im going to guess that its a guitar amp because hi and low inputs have to due with gain. (hi and low gain).... the pic isnt working for me but i have seen acoustic amps before all of which were guitar amps
Ibanez GAX w/Duncan's and Sperzels
Bugera 333 Head
4x12 Fane/Celestion Cab
^Some bass amps have those too. You could have a tech look at it. The capacitor values on the coupling caps might be able tell you if it was meant for a bass or a guitar. Other than that I don't know, I tried searching for it last time you brought this amp up and I didn't find anything then.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Some bass amps have those too. You could have a tech look at it. The capacitor values on the coupling caps might be able tell you if it was meant for a bass or a guitar. Other than that I don't know, I tried searching for it last time you brought this amp up and I didn't find anything then.

i don't live in the u.s its almost impossible to fund a tech that knows what he is doing.
ive been talking to collectors they say its rare as ****!
and i just want to know if it sfor bass or guitar xD
im having some trouble putting nice distortion with my tg8 any help?
like turn down presence all the way to 0 or something like that. i just dont know what to dial on the amp, right know everything is tne the middle (5)
thanks!
Quote by blacklabel22333
just plug in a bass and see if it sounds good.

dont have abass cab, its guitar.
and that would **** it up!
idc what everyone says about it. im just not hooking a bass trough itxD
thanks!
Quote by Mitchell?
I have a feeling that's a bass amp, but don't quote me.

It's the voodoo.

: /
u.u
KEEP GIVING SUGGESSTIONS PEOPLE
I'd think it would be for a guitar, because the volume/master volume configuration is usually used to control the gain (master controls the amount of clean headroom, and volume controls how much the tubes are being pushed).

Also, if it has tubes (which it would appear it does), it's probably for a guitar.
To be safe you could plug a guitar into it... guitar -> bass amp won't ruin either of them, whereas bass -> guitar amp = fried speaker.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Babbs
I'd think it would be for a guitar, because the volume/master volume configuration is usually used to control the gain (master controls the amount of clean headroom, and volume controls how much the tubes are being pushed).

Also, if it has tubes (which it would appear it does), it's probably for a guitar.

can you explain alittle bit more about this?
so volume is my distortion? (never really push the volume far) i always leave it at 4 and mess with master, and i didnt really find a difference betwn the 2.
thats why im so curious about the whole bass/guitar thing
any info on this would be bliss
thanks!
First off, TS don't bump after 11 minutes, it's annoying and against the rules.

Babbs: Bassists like a little dirt sometimes. The master controls the overall volume of the amp and drives the powertubes (basically) the volume drives the preamp and could be used to get preamp saturation.
Quote by Raijouta
To be safe you could plug a guitar into it... guitar -> bass amp won't ruin either of them, whereas bass -> guitar amp = fried speaker.

yeah sounds relaly smart
i just wanted to be the most informed on my gear as i could, i know some reverb fenders use this kinda of 'bass amp ' kind of thing.
since i am using a gt8
what do u recomend me to leave al the setting at?
(treble mid bass etc...) thanks!
Quote by Kevin Saale
First off, TS don't bump after 11 minutes, it's annoying and against the rules.

Babbs: Bassists like a little dirt sometimes. The master controls the overall volume of the amp and drives the powertubes (basically) the volume drives the preamp and could be used to get preamp saturation.

oh skeet didnt noticed the that whole bump 'deal' sorry!

so basically i turn my volume up for distortion and the master for all arund volume?
thanks for all the info guys i really really apreciate it
Quote by pebbles123
so basically i turn my volume up for distortion and the master for all arund volume?
thanks for all the info guys i really really apreciate it

The two are mixed up on different amps, it really just depends on the brand. The way that most fender amps that I've used work is that the master volume controls the amount of clean headroom you get.
basically, the higher you turn up the master volume, the cleaner your amp will sound at high volumes. if you have the master volume turned down, your amp will become more overdriven at lower volumes.
Quote by Babbs
The two are mixed up on different amps, it really just depends on the brand. The way that most fender amps that I've used work is that the master volume controls the amount of clean headroom you get.
basically, the higher you turn up the master volume, the cleaner your amp will sound at high volumes. if you have the master volume turned down, your amp will become more overdriven at lower volumes.

mmm
these have to be scary volumes
the max ive pushed it is at 5 and the drummer had to hit really hrd xD
i dont imagine distorting without killing anything near 5 feet xD
thanks!
so no ona has any facts people?
Quote by Babbs

Yeah, but when you turn up the volume (which is the same as gain, preamp gain, and preamp volume controls on other amps) you're just pushing the preamp, and that goes for any master volume amp. To get powertube distortion you have to crank the master volume, it's a fact.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, but when you turn up the volume (which is the same as gain, preamp gain, and preamp volume controls on other amps) you're just pushing the preamp, and that goes for any master volume amp. To get powertube distortion you have to crank the master volume, it's a fact.

wait so that menad i have to crank the master volume to distort?
BTW
the amp just says (in this order) volume, and the next knob says master xD
just wanted to point that outXD
thanks!
Quote by pebbles123
wait so that menad i have to crank the master volume to distort?
BTW
the amp just says (in this order) volume, and the next knob says master xD
just wanted to point that outXD
thanks!

you can distort it both ways, just one way breaks up slightly easier than the other. I'd just try it both ways, and see which one works for you best.
Play it and see what you think. It doesn't matter what it was built for - as long as it sounds good. Like Raj said, it's ok to put a guitar through a bass amp but not the other way around.
Settings are going to be up to your ear.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
it's a acoustic/bass amp. we have a full stack of it in the studio and that is what my bassist always use. so far i haven't seen anything getting fried yet.
Quote by Babbs
you can distort it both ways, just one way breaks up slightly easier than the other. I'd just try it both ways, and see which one works for you best.

ok! thanks n.n
so no one has any actual info on what im asking?
Quote by gregs1020
Play it and see what you think. It doesn't matter what it was built for - as long as it sounds good. Like Raj said, it's ok to put a guitar through a bass amp but not the other way around.
Settings are going to be up to your ear.

yeahh i think its a guitar head
im having trouble with the settings xD
because acoustic used heavily tapered volume pots. this means turning it only 1/4 gives you about 3/4 of the overall volume.
and i think it like ****s the tone all around too much to mess with volume and such.
well thank you!
Quote by kckyle
it's a acoustic/bass amp. we have a full stack of it in the studio and that is what my bassist always use. so far i haven't seen anything getting fried yet.

so youre saying its a bass head :O?
need more pictures.

Acoustic makes/made primarily bass amps, but more pictures and more information are needed.
Quote by imgooley
need more pictures.

Acoustic makes/made primarily bass amps, but more pictures and more information are needed.

yeah from what part? i can tell you everything you ask me
i know they are famous for bass amps but they have a good quantity of guitar heads, for example every bass head had a bass model and a guitar one, the power amp was exactly the same on each of them, and well the only differenc (on some) was that it added effects and a master volume.
so what else do you need?
Quote by pebbles123
so youre saying its a bass head :O?

i would say so yeah. but i seen it in the guitar center catalog as a acoustic amplifier hence the name acoustic.
Quote by kckyle
i would say so yeah. but i seen it in the guitar center catalog as a acoustic amplifier hence the name acoustic.

guitar center catalog O_O?
this is like a 1990 head ad its still being sold over at guitar center?
acoustic amplifier? no way men xD
its just a name....
:P
and i just discovered the full use of the master volume, the overdrive on tis thing is amazing!
really old school rock but solos sound kinda 'clean' you know what i meanxD
so this becomes a huge fail for all of you knw it alls?
xD

jk... but i guess people have no idea like 100 porcent sure with this...
thank you all anyway! ill keep checkung just in case
Quote by pebbles123
so this becomes a huge fail for all of you knw it alls?
xD

jk... but i guess people have no idea like 100 porcent sure with this...
thank you all anyway! ill keep checkung just in case

an amplifier for an acoustic guitar wouldn't have distortion most likely, and i'm pretty sure that it's not for bass (because of the tubes and distortion). the real question is if you like how it sounds, because it doesn't really matter what it's meant for, as long as it sounds good with what yer using it for.
Quote by Babbs
an amplifier for an acoustic guitar wouldn't have distortion most likely, and i'm pretty sure that it's not for bass (because of the tubes and distortion). the real question is if you like how it sounds, because it doesn't really matter what it's meant for, as long as it sounds good with what yer using it for.

well i love how it sounds! but heres the problem the distortion i think its called overdrive(since the tubes) sounds amazing with power chords heavy and full
but single notes just dont sound distorted at all very weak sounding, and i cant get my ****ing gt8 to give good tone AHH
idk if the fullnes being lsot when single picking its normal (new to valves)
but yeah
NOT completly empty on distoprtion
but pinch harmonics are impossible
and it doesnt sound like a sllash solo either
its weird,...
and this whole thread was started just to know my gear better
yeah int he end its w.e if its bass or guitar im stuck with it either way
xD
just wanted facts
THANKS for everthign:P
but overall BIG fail in the ug
xD
try putting the master on like 1, and just cranking the regular volume control, as loud as you want it. if that's not loud enough, then turn up the master until you get to the right volume.

this should give you a fair amount of overdrive, but if it's not what you want, try a boost pedal or something. also, if yer plugging into the low gain input, try plugging into the higher gain input.

EDIT: boosting the mids might help as well.
Last edited by Babbs at Nov 5, 2008,
ok...acoustic once made both bass and guitar amps, and 2 notable users of their bass amps are Jaco Pastorius and John Paul Jones, both of whom used 361 stacks. I happen to have a 371 stack from '74, and it is loud as eff being 365 watts! Your amp is sweet, I hope you like it! I honestly think it looks like a bass amp, just because it bears a striking resemblance to an Ampeg SVT. Acoustic has recently made a comeback into the bass amp business with a few cheap things that I'm hesitant to try. It would be amazing if they rose to the forefront of the bass amplification world again to compete with GK and Ampeg!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by Babbs
try putting the master on like 1, and just cranking the regular volume control, as loud as you want it. if that's not loud enough, then turn up the master until you get to the right volume.

this should give you a fair amount of overdrive, but if it's not what you want, try a boost pedal or something. also, if yer plugging into the low gain input, try plugging into the higher gain input.

EDIT: boosting the mids might help as well.

yeah i think its a guitar amp!
it has some nice distortion
any of you have experience with valves?
i think the distortion its a bit empty the power chords sound amazing but leads and solo just sound kinda cleanish
any idea?
The power chords sound full because there is a lot more output from the guitar pickups when you play a power chord compared to single note. You need to find the right combo of volume and master volume to get the sound that you want. You may also need to play with the tone controls. More mids might help you. If it is a bass amp then that could also be why the powerchords sound full with good distortion but the more mid trebly solo runs sound weaker. You could try an overdrive pedal or a booster pedal to drive the amp harder.