Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking about something lately.
When I saw meshuggah live, during the song "straws pulled at random" solo, which is very beautiful and brutal to me, my imagination conjured the strangest image.
I had the image of standing on top of a hill, watching the world end. I imagined seeing cities burning, and sensing the apocalypse coming closer and closer. But for some reason, this image was beautiful to me. So beautiful and disturbing I felt tears in my eyes.

I'm not a psycopath. I do not dream of destroying things, but I was thinking: after you destroy something, you can in no way alter it. the alteration of an object through destruction is like the final sentance in a book, it is the closing chapter. If you think about it, since after destruction, there is no more, destroying an object in the most artistic manner imaginable is the ultimate form of art. You have completed the object, made things come full circle, since not only is it ending the original object, it is making room for new.

I dunno, this is just a thought I had. Thought I might share it with the Pit.
Quote by xaviergray
Did you screw up a sculpture or something? Because this sounds a lot like self-justified reasoning on a failure.

no, god dammit!

I meant it the way I posted it!
That must have been one hell of a solo.

Oh, and just remember, you always leave something behind. Nothing is ever truly gone.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Good luck with the whole English teacher thing-
"Dig me a whole, for I am the Monster that will fill it with water."

:P
Quote by xaviergray
Did you screw up a sculpture or something? Because this sounds a lot like self-justified reasoning on a failure.

Quote by Ticket48
That must have been one hell of a solo.

Oh, and just remember, you always leave something behind. Nothing is ever truly gone.

1984 man. 1984
Quote by iimjpii
Good luck with the whole English teacher thing-
"Dig me a whole, for I am the Monster that will fill it with water."

:P

yeah I've been meaning to fix that, but I'm too lazy.
Ah I always enjoy your threads dear

I see what you mean.... honestly.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Ah I always enjoy your threads dear

I see what you mean.... honestly.

well, they come straight from my drunken German heart

and I'm glad someone can understand what I mean.
Quote by CoreysMonster
well, they come straight from my drunken German heart

and I'm glad someone can understand what I mean.

Well, I think I understand what you mean. Beauty is purity. Purity is unaltered. Absolute destruction is absolute. Absolution cannot be altered. Therefore, destruction is pure and therefore beautiful.

Getting there?
Nope sorry I listen to real m00zix w/ f33lingz.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by boreamor
Well, I think I understand what you mean. Beauty is purity. Purity is unaltered. Absolute destruction is absolute. Absolution cannot be altered. Therefore, destruction is pure and therefore beautiful.

Getting there?

YES!!! absolutely yes, this is what I meant! dude, awesome!

EDIT: since I am not very good at expressing myself through words, you have been sigged.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by boreamor

Getting there?

Yeah, but Absolution is also a Muse album, and cover bands can alter music, so I think there might be a few flaws in your theory...
I see what you mean.

Again with Meshuggah, listening to their album Catch 33. The riffs were meant to be hypnotic and sometimes music can put me into a trance and I can connect the rhythm of the song to random images in my head.

Like when the guitars hit the low notes in "Re-Inanimate", the twisting riffs makes me think of some robotic figure stomping onto he ground.
Quote by xaviergray
Yeah, but Absolution is also a Muse album, and cover bands can alter music, so I think there might be a few flaws in your theory...

Sing for absolution
I will be singing
And falling from your grace
i have to hear this solo now...

and yes TS i understand what you mean. not only is it finishing the story, but it is helping return things to their natural state: Entropy owns
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by ctb
I see what you mean.

Again with Meshuggah, listening to their album Catch 33. The riffs were meant to be hypnotic and sometimes music can put me into a trance and I can connect the rhythm of the song to random images in my head.

Like when the guitars hit the low notes in "Re-Inanimate", the twisting riffs makes me think of some robotic figure stomping onto he ground.

catch 33 is an entire album that throws the same images into my head as I mentioned. Shed is a beautiful song, IMO.

but lets not throw this thread off track. it is not about meshuggah.
Heeeeeeeeey, I've seen this before!

Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by CoreysMonster
catch 33 is an entire album that throws the same images into my head as I mentioned. Shed is a beautiful song, IMO.

but lets not throw this thread off track. it is not about meshuggah.

I got sigged! Woo!

I think I might need to use this phrase aswell. It's rather philisophical of me.
Is there room for all of us up your arse?

I jest, nice thinking, but is anything ever destroyed absolutely? And so by that nature is destruction truly beautiful?
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
I'm pretty sure the novel Fight Club talked about this. It kept mentioning the wonderful miracle of death. Being a living breathing being and then becoming an object. I'm pretty sure that was Fight Club may have been one of Pahlaniuk's other books.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
well obviously nothing is ever destroyed absolutely, as neither energy nor matter are ever lost, so I would define destruction as "a severe, irreversable alteration of shape and / or consistancy, resulting in the original object to be unrecognizable post-destruction"

EDIT: and destruction is kindof a one-way street, you know? you can break any vase, but how many can you actually put back together?
If I could pick you up on your sig, it says that "Beauty is purity". Surely for something to be pure it would need to be absolute? And so if destruction is never absolute, it can't be pure and therefore not beautiful?
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by rich_sg
If I could pick you up on your sig, it says that "Beauty is purity". Surely for something to be pure it would need to be absolute? And so if destruction is never absolute, it can't be pure and therefore not beautiful?

Note I said "absolute destruction" :] Hypothetically speaking of course :P
Quote by boreamor
Note I said "absolute destruction" :] Hypothetically speaking of course :P

Hypothetical is all well and good, but if it doesn't exist in reality then it's not really beautiful I would say.
Quote by its_alive

Quote by ErnieBallfists
Quote by boreamor
How do you sleep at night?

I'd like to share your views but I'm too much of a cynic. Beauty is where you find it and is yours and yours alone.
Quote by its_alive

Quote by ErnieBallfists
Quote by rich_sg

I'd like to share your views but I'm too much of a cynic. Beauty is where you find it and is yours and yours alone.

I can find beauty everywhere :] When I try :/ Sometimes it justs me "like whoa".
Quote by boreamor
I can find beauty everywhere :] When I try :/ Sometimes it justs me "like whoa".

That's a good way to be. I think there is beauty in everything if you look hard enough and are willing to ignore the ugliness that comes along with it, but I disagree with the statement that destruction is the most beautiful thing because nothing is truly beautiful.
Quote by its_alive

Quote by ErnieBallfists
i completely agree with you TS, but in the way i came to the realization was reading up on Hindu religion; i came to the conclusion that without destruction it's almost impossible to change anything, and it's certainly impossible for anything new to arise. So hopefully in a few months i'll be getting a tattoo of shiva (the hindi god of destruction) on one arm, and maybe one day the other god of creation on my other arm.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Quote by rich_sg
That's a good way to be. I think there is beauty in everything if you look hard enough and are willing to ignore the ugliness that comes along with it, but I disagree with the statement that destruction is the most beautiful thing because nothing is truly beautiful.

Fiancé: Tell me I'm beautiful.
You: You're beautiful!
Fiancé: Am I the most beautiful person in the world?
You: No because nothing is truely beautiful. I wouldn't say no to that rack though!
Fiancé:
Quote by boreamor
Fiancé: Tell me I'm beautiful.
You: You're beautiful!
Fiancé: Am I the most beautiful person in the world?
You: No because nothing is truely beautiful. I wouldn't say no to that rack though!
Fiancé:

win

and to that cynical guy, does absolute beauty mean "most" beautiful in a subjective sort of way? because I meant that it's more like... I dunno, the FINAL beauty, the beauty after which there is no more beauty.

or something.

damn, this is kind of a mind-****ing topic.
Quote by CoreysMonster

win

and to that cynical guy, does absolute beauty mean "most" beautiful in a subjective sort of way? because I meant that it's more like... I dunno, the FINAL beauty, the beauty after which there is no more beauty.

or something.

damn, this is kind of a mind-****ing topic.

Let me grab a coffee. This'll be a long night...
Quote by boreamor
Let me grab a coffee. This'll be a long night...

word.

lets try this logically (with math)
so.. if destruction can never be absolute, and neither can beauty, can't we say that the limes of destruction = lim beauty, where both limes' go towards infinity?

or you can say beauty is proportional to the degree of destruction.

but then again, if you chip of a piece of a statue, does it get slightly more beautiful?

... I need to think about this for a while.
Page 1 of 2