i want to start reading the lord of the rings.
is the fellowship the correct book to begin my entry into the series or should i begin with the hobbit?
also my gf said there are a few books that go along with the trilogy that can help you with what she says is difficult terminology.
so whats the best place to start?
Go for the Hobbit, then the main trilogy. If you're not tired, hit up the Silmarillon. It talks about where the wizards came from, the elves, and Morgoth, the OG dark lord.
last.fm[/url}
Fellowship IMO.

LOTR was meant to be read on its own, and The Hobbit was not even meant to be read by us! So read The Hobbit after LOTR.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
i dont know,i dont give any time to read
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
I'm a major Tolkien buff, so take it from me.

Read the Hobbit if you want a bit of background.

Start at the Fellowship if you're fine with missing some references.

For a good understanding of the book, read the Silmarillion first.

For a complete understanding, read everything, starting with the Silmarillion, then to the Book of Lost Tales, Lays of Beleriand, possibly the Tolkien Reader, and the Book of Unfinished Tales first.

You'll realize that, in the end, the War of the Rings was essentially unimportant to the wars of the Valinor.

It's all about the jeweled trees.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
God damn These books confuse me
Although I do know that The hobbit should be read before the trilogy
It will give you alot of insight
Quote by PlayMadness

For a complete understanding, read everything, starting with the Silmarillion, then to the Book of Lost Tales, Lays of Beleriand, possibly the Tolkien Reader, and the Book of Unfinished Tales first.

You'll realize that, in the end, the War of the Rings was essentially unimportant to the wars of the Valinor.

I will have read all of these one day.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

I personally began with The Hobbit, and never really read the trilogy itself until after I saw the first movie. But then again, if you like prequels as much as I do, you'll want to start directly on Fellowship Of The Ring.

So really, it's all up to you.

EDIT: And also, as someone else stated, if you really like the trilogy and The Hobbit, go for Silmarillion afterwards, if you manage (it's pretty heavy). And if you still want more after that, go for The Children of Hurin (it was made in 2007 from compiled writings from most of Tolkien's books, including unfinished writings).

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, someone else pretty much summed it all up, the Lord Of The Rings is really just a footnote in Tolkien's universe, but it's a good place to start.
Quote by PlayMadness

Have you read his translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? I was interested, but would like an opinion.
last.fm[/url}
Quote by walkinbazooka
I will have read all of these one day.

Silmarillion is a tough one (you need to memorize a LOT of names, and know who has what nicknames), and get the Book of Lost Tales with Christopher Tolkien's notes, or it's so scattered that it doesn't make much sense.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by HelpTravesty
Have you read his translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? I was interested, but would like an opinion.

I've read an outline of it, but I have the full text on reserve from a library across the state, I'll have it soon.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
I've read an outline of it, but I have the full text on reserve from a library across the state, I'll have it soon.

Awesome. He was a real English literature buff. I would love to see his take on Beowulf or The Canterbury Tales.
last.fm[/url}
just finished reading the hobbit, i plant to read the other books soon
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Quote by PlayMadness
Silmarillion is a tough one (you need to memorize a LOT of names, and know who has what nicknames), and get the Book of Lost Tales with Christopher Tolkien's notes, or it's so scattered that it doesn't make much sense.

I can do it. I once read the Bible all the way through.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by walkinbazooka
I can do it. I once read the Bible all the way through.

So have I. Bible is easy-peasy
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
So have I. Bible is easy-peasy

Quote by shattamakar

Quote by hooligan07
ok. thanx guys but i think i'm more confused now

Don't be. It all depends on your reading level. If you're a crazy, in depth, hardcore reader, than start at the Silmarillion. Same if you're looking for a deep, meaningful, in depth story.

If you're just looking for a cool story about dudes with swords killing stuff, go with the Fellowship.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
Don't be. It all depends on your reading level. If you're a crazy, in depth, hardcore reader, than start at the Silmarillion. Same if you're looking for a deep, meaningful, in depth story.

If you're just looking for a cool story about dudes with swords killing stuff, go with the Fellowship.

thanx. i'm leaning toward starting with the fellowship or with the hobbit. if i want more, i'll go for the silmarillon
Quote by PlayMadness

Basically what I was gonna say, except I probably don't know as much as he does.
However, anyone who can read through all of the Tolkien books must be really awesome, right?

*hint hint*... :stickpoke

*sig sig*
Quote by st.stephen
Basically what I was gonna say, except I probably don't know as much as he does.
However, anyone who can read through all of the Tolkien books must be really awesome, right?

*hint hint*... :stickpoke

*sig sig*

Oh fine, if you insist.

EDIT: 250 character limit
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Last edited by PlayMadness at Nov 4, 2008,
The Hobbit is the best out of the series. It's the only one that doesn't constantly go off on some random bull shit tangent of singing.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Quote by hooligan07
so whats the best place to start?

the beginning.

really though, probably The Hobbit.
Quote by PlayMadness
Oh fine, if you insist.

EDIT: 250 character limit

it's alright. Seriously though, that is pretty awesome. I tried to read the Silmarillion and I got to the third paragraph and went and chased butterflies. Now I'm Tolkien-challenged
Quote by st.stephen
it's alright. Seriously though, that is pretty awesome. I tried to read the Silmarillion and I got to the third paragraph and went and chased butterflies. Now I'm Tolkien-challenged

Just focus on the singing, focus on the singing.

Illuvatar = good
Melkor = bad

GO GO GO!
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi