Ok, so I'm planning to buy my first electric guitar next month.
I have a 82 year-old classical guitar that belonged to my bureaucratic grand father, which stays in tune excellent, but there are cracks.

For the past two months my choice of guitars has been changing.
First I wanted a SG, then a Les Paul, then a Telecaster, and now a strat.
I hated the strat for it's sheer popularity, but lets admit it the guitar is awesome for many reasons.

I'm planning to buy the 700 dollars (70,000 yen for me because I'm from Japan) Fender Japan Strats.
The vintage copies if possible.

But it's daunting: which year's strat do you recommend the most?
I mean, there's 1954 to 1972.

Please don't tell me to get a les paul, I'm still wondering about it for being a huge jimmy page fan, but that's a different story.
1962 Vintage
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Well, the '62 just always seems to be THE year for Vintage strats. I believe it was the year that Fender gave it a lot of refinements, and it hasn't changed much since then.

I also could be totally crazy and have no Idea what I'm talking about.

probably the second one :p
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
Well, the '62 just always seems to be THE year for Vintage strats. I believe it was the year that Fender gave it a lot of refinements, and it hasn't changed much since then.

I also could be totally crazy and have no Idea what I'm talking about.

probably the second one :p

I heard the 1970s strats aren't so savy
Quote by Orbit91
Fender Elite, or Fender HM Strats

The ELite is cool, I mean the design

The HM is not in production right now and they just look too Ibanez.
Ironically for me being Japanese, I really hate Ibanez guitars for many reasons
Quote by kckyle
get the 57 reissued. lovely guitar. much more popular than the 62. in fact i have one imported from japan.

how does it sound different?
I like strats...lots...but if you live in japan...**** a strat get one of those 30+ different types of mustangs & jags....those are some of the coolest guitars out there.

if I ever go to Japan, I am picking up ATLEAST 1 shortscale.

P.S. You're one lucky dude...fender japan is just amazing.
Quote by radomu
how does it sound different?

i only tested out the 62 once at my local shop which turns out to be a custom shop. per say i can't really tell THAT much difference but i felt my 57 can perform better. I'm not really sure here myself but since you live in japan. you have the opportunity to test them out yourself.

however i did notice when i was going though all the quotes the 57 has a higher price tag on every single one of them.
Quote by kckyle
i only tested out the 62 once at my local shop which turns out to be a custom shop. per say i can't really tell THAT much difference but i felt my 57 can perform better. I'm not really sure here myself but since you live in japan. you have the opportunity to test them out yourself.

however i did notice when i was going though all the quotes the 57 has a higher price tag on every single one of them.

the 57 is about 200 dollars more.

Maybe I may go with the 62, I'd have to try it out though