I am new to soldering. What are neccessary items for soldering? Btw, I am planning mod pedals and install pickups.
My Gear: For sale/trade:
Epi Les Paul Custom SPF I-5 delay
Fender Jazzmaster MXR 1O band EQ
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
a soldering iron, solder, flux, and a brain. I am currently learning about that kind of stuff on Monday nights, and that is what I can remember you needing.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Thanks guys!

What is a good soldering iron and cable?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Quote by Kakashi98
Thanks guys!

What is a good soldering iron and cable?

just go to radio shack and pick up a 40w iron and some 60/40 rosin core solder.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
If this is something you plan to do a lot of, skip buying the cheap Radio Shack iron and get a real one. I've been an electronics tech for 20 years and used several different types. Have a look at Weller. They make some very decent quality soldering irons. Besides being affordable, they can also be customized. You can order different tips and even different wattage elements. I have a Weller WP35 that I use at home and it's top notch. Be sure to buy a sponge and iron holder - Weller makes and sells all the stuff you'll need. With the sponge, wet it and then wring it out. Use to gently wipe the tip, before soldering. Don't "carry" solder on your tip. Whet the tip with a little solder. The solder on the tip is used to transfer heat to the item you're soldering. Once the tip is touched to the item, allow it to heat briefly - just long enough to get it hot enough to accept the solder and then apply the solder. If you're soldering a component to the board, you don't want to see a blob of solder. Look at components that have already been soldered to get an idea of what we're looking for. As already mentioned, a little flux will help whet the connection. Flux does 2 things: Removes oxidation and helps transfer heat - both are very important to a reliable connection. You may want to consider purchasing a solder practice kit. Places such as Dalbani and Mouser should have them. Don't expect to be perfect overnight - it won't happen. Don't keep the heat applied to a board too long, or you'll damage it and possibly the component. Check out this website for some additional soldering tips:

http://www.elexp.com/t_solder.htm

If you use flux, you may want to consider buying some Isopropyl alcohol to remove the flux after soldering. Residual flux can and will attract dirt/dust. If you buy alcohol for this purpose, make sure it's at least 90% pure and contains no lubricants - rubbing alcohol is a no-no. Purchase some acid brushes and cut down the bristles - this makes them great for loosening up the flux after you hit it with the alcohol. Paper towels, or ideally, Kim-Wipes (lint free type) work great for wiping up the sticky mess.

One last thing - if you're working on anything that's static sensitive (ESD), make sure you use an anti-static wristband. They're usually made of metal or metal impregnated cloth and are attached to a coiled wire and an alligator clip. Attach the clip to ground - usually a cold water water line (metal, not PVC) or something else that you know is connected to ground. This will prevent you from damaging ICs (Integrated Circuits), MOSFETS (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors) and other components that are sensitive to static discharge.

If you have any other questions, shoot me a message. Good luck!!!

Oh, forgot to mention that you need to clean the tip after you're all done and getting ready to unplug the iron. Touch it on the sponge and then coat both sides of the tip with a little solder. This helps protect the tip and prolong its life.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Nov 4, 2008,
KG6_Steven, thanks for all the info!

What solder wire should I get? 60/40, 40/60,etc...
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket