Can someone please tell me something about bass strings? I know round- and flatwound and such, but what does "slinky" mean, what does nickel plating do, and what other variables should i know about when buying strings?

Thanks in advance
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
FAQ?
A nickel plating gives you an allergy to nickel.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Some people are just allergic to nickel, my dad was and always had leather watch straps. Contact with nickel can't make you allergic, so far as I know.

Nickel wound strings are less 'bright' than stainless strings. Think of it as classic and modern, and you'll get the idea.

Roundwounds are generally brighter than flatwounds. Flatwounds are the classic sound of Motown; thumpy, not so much sustain, and easy on the fingers. Also, they sound the same worn out as brand new, so they last for years...

Then there's the oddities - halfwounds, groundwounds and those rounds overwound with nylon tape. They're all attempts at a middle ground between flats and rounds.

Hope this helps.
There have been cases of people over-using nickel wound strings and developing an allergy to nickel. Really it's better to just stear clear as the tone isn't really a middle ground between falts and rounds at all. Instead they just sound like semi-dead round wounds.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Well IMO the idea of nickel wounds is flawed.

Stainless steels have all the zing and brightness you want. Flatwounds get your mellowness. Nickels aren't in the middle, they're more on the stainless steel side. Basically, go big or go home.

Excuse my lack of articulation, OBAMA WON!
Quote by IndianRockStar
Well IMO the idea of nickel wounds is flawed.

Stainless steels have all the zing and brightness you want. Flatwounds get your mellowness. Nickels aren't in the middle, they're more on the stainless steel side. Basically, go big or go home.

Excuse my lack of articulation, OBAMA WON!

Exactly my point, there isn't really a middle ground between flats and rounds.
You either go for a mellow sound or you go for a bright twangy-ish sound (that's really good for slap).
And yes, Obama did win. Party in the Pit.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you