Hello,
I am very happy because soon, depending what day is good for the teacher, I will be starting once a week lessons.
With that comes a bit of anxiety. I have had my guitar since May 19th, my birthday, and am anything but good. I know a few basic chords- A, C, D, E, Am, Em, G, Hendrix chord, and 3 other cool jazzy chords which names elude me. So far, I have not been seeing the progress I want to, I can play a main riff to the Wind Cries Mary, and spotted sections of other tunes.
I just do not know what to expect, I want to really learn the instrument and I understand it takes time, but I want to make the most out of my half hour a week.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Super Champ XD
Line 6 Pod XT
Crate GTD15R
Cool.

Don't be afraid of lessons. Be grateful that you are getting them. I never got lessons and i am 10 times a better guitarist than all my friends who have been taking lessons and playing longer than me, but i believe if i got lessons i would be even better. Straight off the bat, make sure the teacher makes your technique perfect and make sure to thoroughly learn theory. I know its boring but great guitarists are born with a great foundation of theory and technique. I know you'll want to jump straight into jamming sweet riffs and you think everyone will want your dick once you can play the sweet child of mine riff, but suck it up and take the boring but better way out.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Nov 4, 2008,
Alright, thanks.
I am interested more in Joe Pass type jazz and Eric Johnson fusion, not like every other kid who thinks the only song GNR ever came out with was Sweet Child of Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, and November Rain...
Gear
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Super Champ XD
Line 6 Pod XT
Crate GTD15R
It'll take time, practice will be the only way forward... If you don't play, you won't get better.

Its sometimes hard to notice progress, if you record yourself over time though, you will hear yourself improve. So if you want that gratification, then maybe you should record yourself. But also try playing with or for other people. Their feedback will be valuable and plus playing with others is fun.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by voodoochild78
Alright, thanks.
I am interested more in Joe Pass type jazz and Eric Johnson fusion, not like every other kid who thinks the only song GNR ever came out with was Sweet Child of Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, and November Rain...

Ha agreed, although Appetite For Destruction is my favorite cd not just by GNR but overall

but anyway if I highjacked this thread it was purely accidental
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by DaddyBarbs
Cool.

Don't be afraid of lessons. Be grateful that you are getting them. I never got lessons and i am 10 times a better guitarist than all my friends who have been taking lessons and playing longer than me, but i believe if i got lessons i would be even better. Straight off the bat, make sure the teacher makes your technique perfect and make sure to thoroughly learn theory. I know its boring but great guitarists are born with a great foundation of theory and technique. I know you'll want to jump straight into jamming sweet riffs and you think everyone will want your dick once you can play the sweet child of mine riff, but suck it up and take the boring but better way out.

I don't mean for this to be offensive or to bash you in anyway, because you probably are an amazing guitarist, but if you've been taken lessons for a while and aren't better then someone who hasn't, then you're wasting your money. My guitar teacher has showed me theory first, then he got more in depth with chords, hammer ons, pull offs, tapping (I told him I liked rock) and now it all comes to me naturally. My teacher had me STUDYING. Honestly I did too, because I wanted to be good. Now I'm only 1 1/2 into playing guitar and I can play the Crazy train solo + song, the Stairway to heaven solo + song, Shoot To Thrill Solo+ Song, of course it hurt my fingers along the way, but I can finally write my own riffs with ease because I played this songs and got in depth.

Sorry for the wall of writing, my point is. Use this to your FULLEST advantage. Whatever he tells you to practice, you practice. Whatever he tells you look up. If he says "what song do you wannna learn" pick a song that's not only your favorite but is difficult. I learned Carry On My wayward son for my VERY first song all the way through. At first I was like "..i can't learn this there's no way" now that I've tried and practiced. I can play that song blind folded...well looking at the dots on the side of the board :P
Nice nice, Thanks everyone for the advice.
Also, I did not mean to denote GNR in my last post, I think they are a great band and do not deny that the songs mentioned are some of their hits, I just don't like when people only listen to the hits and then say that the group is the favorite/best.

Sorry if it didnt make sense its just a pet peeve of mine
Gear
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Super Champ XD
Line 6 Pod XT
Crate GTD15R
What's a Hendrix chord?
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
if I'm not mistaken a Hendrix chord is a slideable chord that looks like this

e:---X
B:---8
G:---7
D:---6
A:---7
E:---0
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards