Hey people i bought a PGM301 a couple of months ago and have decided to change the pickups from

Changing from

• DiMarzio® Paf Pro (H) neck pu
• DiMarzio® Jem Single (S) mid pu
• DiMarzio® Paf Pro (H) bridge pu

To

• DiMarzio® Air Norton (H) neck pu
• DiMarzio® Jem Single (S) mid pu
• DiMarzio® Tone Zone (H) bridge pu

My reasons being that the PAF pro sounds a little weak for lead on the bridge pickup and its cleans on the neck are way too high output and in your face for me, if anyone has experience of these two pickups I've chosen I'd much appreciate you're opinion

I'm looking for more gain from the Bridge (Tone Zone) and More warmth (Air Norton) from the neck

Thanks

Anthony
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I believe Buckethead uses almost that exact combo in his guitar (minus the single coil) but keep in mind he's also running through a bunch of effects and a Triple Recto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGt4J9oBKKo
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Buckethead has a number of guitars, notably a custom Les Paul made for him by Gibson. The guitar has a larger chambered body than usual for such guitars and features a killswitch. The bridge pick-up is a DiMarzio Tone Zone with a DiMarzio Air Norton in the Neck. It has a white finish with white hardware, and a blank ebony fingerboard.

Wikipedia
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I think the Air Norton was a good choice for warmth, you should look into the Breed Neck too while you're at it.

Are sure gain is the only thing lacking in the bridge?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
yea The Paf PRO does gain very well but just doesn't cut it for the high e/b string lead licks, needs a bit more UMPFH!
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
If you want a really strong p-up, I'd say go with the X2N.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by sharpant
yea The Paf PRO does gain very well but just doesn't cut it for the high e/b string lead licks, needs a bit more UMPFH!

Maybe a Super Distortion then? It's pretty much a PAF Pro on 'roids.
I was wondering what the opinion of the stock single coil that comes with the PGM301 is?
DiMarzio® Jem Single (S) mid pu
Whenever i use it i get HORRENDOUS feedback and to be honest i don't like it's tone, what single coil would be recommended for a strat like sound?

Bridge-Warmth
Middle-Strat
Bridge-Gain
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
great singles coils:
Dimarzio HS-3
Dimarzio YJM
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
How about this

DiMarzio® Area 61

DiMarzio® has been working on serious vintage single-coil design with no hum for eight years. Our goal has always been to capture the best qualities of pickups we heard from the 1950s and early ‘60s. We’ve played several pickups from the early ‘60s that had a unique tonality: they were steely, yet woody-sounding. Naturally, we wanted to nail this sound, and we wanted to do it with no hum and less magnet-pull. This is it. It’s good in all three positions, and it’s a perfect bridge pickup with a pair of Area ‘58s if you want to go all the way from Nashville to Texas in one guitar.
Tech Talk: Over the last 10 years we’ve gotten literally hundreds of requests from guitarists asking for the Texas blues sound. This sound is centered on single-coils from the early 1960’s, but it’s also based on heavy strings and strong hands. We can’t change your strings or your hands, but the Area ‘61™ captures the tonal bedrock this sound is based on. Like the Area ’58™, the Area ’61™ really responds to different pick attacks: played hard, it sounds louder and tougher than you’d expect from a vintage pickup, but it cleans up immediately by picking softer or rolling down the volume control. And like the Area ’58™, its ability to cancel hum is superior to full-size humbuckers.

Another interesting pickup is the True velvet , opinions?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Nov 5, 2008,
those would work, will make the tone quite a bit warmer though as azrael said... aren't you in the UK, though? there are generally better-value options here than dimarzios, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea I've tried it, still can't get the tone i desire

Any more suggestions on the single coil middle pickup suggestions? (strat sound)
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
are you in the UK?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes i am I'm guessing you're about to suggest bareknuckles, Id like to stick to Dimarzio to be honest

Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Buckethead, Malmsteem and Satriani use them for a reason
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Nov 6, 2008,
i was going to recommend several companies who'd be worth looking into. those guys use dimarzios because dimarzio pays them shitloads of royalties.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i was going to recommend several companies who'd be worth looking into. those guys use dimarzios because dimarzio pays them shitloads of royalties.

Probably, except Buckethead... too underground.

Then again he is pretty popular as a result of Guitar Hero. I dunno.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
touche.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For single coils you could look up CorduroyEW on these forums - he makes pickups and they're sold at a 10% discount to UG users.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
So who were you going to recommend Dave_mc i really believe Paul Gilbert chooses Dimarzio for tone and not cash, he's not that kind of guy, same goes for satriani
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
maybe that's true. i guess it's possible that they prefer them. i'm not sure it'd be possible to have signature guitars like theirs, though, and fit them with handwound pickups, it's not just the pickup royalties they could be losing, in other words...

it'd be worth taking a look at swineshead, rockmonkey, bareknuckles, bulldogs, etc. etc. just i've preferred any handwound pickups i've tried to their non-handwound equivalents...

it's up to you, of course. you may prefer dimarzio, lol, or you may prefer bareknuckles, etc.... it's hard to know until you try them unfortunately.

EDIT: just be very wary of picking something because your favourite players like it, because you may hate it. I mean, you already have gilbert's choice of dimarzios in your pgm, and you're changing them, if that tells you anything...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tell's me that Gilbert no longer uses Paf Pro's and has revamped his PGM301. I Like the Paf pro's but they just lack balls and in the neck position the output is way too high for me. Thing about pickups is you can't really try them out when you start looking into handwound ones, as its not like i can just pick up a basswood guitar (PGM) and expect the pickups to be bareknuckle, 90% of the time they are going to be EMG's or Dimarzios.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
BTW, CorduroyEW is the main man behind Rockmonkey Pickups. Hit him up if you're interested.

Also, I can only think of one shredder who uses active pickups regularly - Rusty Cooley. Most shredders aren't into actives at all... but I'd highly recommend looking into some sort of handwound because it's often that you'll be able to get exactly the tone you want, rather than something close.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by sharpant
Tell's me that Gilbert no longer uses Paf Pro's and has revamped his PGM301. I Like the Paf pro's but they just lack balls and in the neck position the output is way too high for me. Thing about pickups is you can't really try them out when you start looking into handwound ones, as its not like i can just pick up a basswood guitar (PGM) and expect the pickups to be bareknuckle, 90% of the time they are going to be EMG's or Dimarzios.

that's true. it's up to you, as i said. it's your money.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well i appreciate your advise, i think this time I'll stick with Dimarzios any maybe look into handwound ones next time (Custom Guitar)

Wow, just remembered i had a dream last night where this band came in and the guitarist had 1 Suhr custom guitar and like 9 Suhr backups, meh my brain is screwed
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12

i mean, at the end of the day, if you do make the wrong choice, you'll feel better if you went with your gut than if you followed some random dude's advice on the net (at least, i would).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hehehe. You posted on the racer x forums as well

IMO, Super distortion.

Or hell, go ballsy. HFH!!!!!!!!
BUY MY JACKSON
Quote by imgooley
I don't know what that shit (racer x or paul gilbert) sounds like.

Quote by DSchmitty
Gilbert is a bad riff writer.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24

Treble - 0
Bass - 0
Mids - 0
Volume - 0
'Tude - 10
Whiny Voice - 10
Panties - White

Quote by Shabadoo
I brake for huge nuts
Hehe yes i did! what's your user name over there?

I've just e-mailed Bareknuckle asking what they can offer me for the tones i desire which are basically

Bridge- Gain
Middle- Strat
Neck- Warmth
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
^^ yeah, i saw your thread over at BKP
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?