And I want to be able to record on it. The budget is $600 (Canadian), 700 is sort of pushing it. This is the specs so far:

MEMORY: 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs
HARD DRIVE: 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
SOUND CARD: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio (which shouldn't matter because I'm using an interface, right?)
OPTICAL DRIVE: Dual Drives: 48X CDRW/DVD COMBO Drive + 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

That's the important stuff, I think. It comes with Vista, so would splurging for XP be a good idea? And more importantly, would this work for what I'm trying to do?

Cheers!

6661Edit: So I just realized that I should probably update this with for info.

I won't be doing any multitracking, I have a drum machine, so guitar bass n vox is all I need. I might use some VST FX, probably some VSTi's, through Reaper. If anyone needs anymore info, I'll do my best to oblige.
Last edited by Austyn6661 at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by Skuzzmo
And the CPU is a.....?

Whoops, I forgot
Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor E2200 (1MB L2, 2.2GHz, 800FSB)
Is that what it is (I'm not very good with computers xD)
i would save up a get a nicer CPU
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
Quote by dubes216

Alright then, would this be any better: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E4600 (2MB L2, 2.4GHz, 800FSB)

Or this (this is probs too expensive for me): Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q6600 (8MB L2, 2.4MHz, 1033FSB)

Quote by dubes216

Why? For what he's doing, he is already using a cannon to swat flies. For what you would pay for just the processor, he should be able to get an entire machine.

I just posted this in another thread....

Our band did our album on my computer, which is a 1.7Ghz Celeron machine with 512 MB RAM and 2x40GB hard drives at 7200rpm. I'm running WinXP. Each song was done with upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio, including FX and EQ as required, using Cubase SX at the time.

You can't buy a machine like that anymore, and yet it did the job just fine.

If you're just doing audio, or audio and some samplers, you really don't need to go overboard. If you're using racks and racks of soft samplers and high end reverbs and stuff, then you'll need to spend $$.... both on hardware and software.

If you're going to go laptop, the 5400rpm drive would be a deal-killer for me. The trade-off is that 7200rpm drives eat batter power like nobody's business. The solution = solid state drives. They're even faster than standard 7200 drives.

Now, all that said.... there is something to be said for future-proofing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 4, 2008,
Axemanchris has a point. If you are really only using it for recording and nothing else, then yeah you can definitly drop the spec down a bit, and probably stick with a core processor.

Then again, the higher the number the bigger the smile!

I run a dual core processor (3.4ghz) 2Gb ram, with a TB of storage on Sata drives.

I have been recording stuff in cubase while I've got outlook open, itunes, internet, and while doing a backup and a virus scan without any problems apart from internet explorer being a bit slow(isnt it always!).

Coming at this from purely an IT background I would say that yeas if you have to, you can compromise on the spec if it is to be used purely as a DAW. However, a higher spec machine will last you longer.

as a baseline you could gather up all of the minimum requirements for the programs you are going to use, find the one with the highest requirements and double it. that will give you something to aim for.

I've been out of the desktop loop for a couple of years now, but yeah, I would probably stick with XP. I tried bunging cubase SX3 on a vista laptop so i could work on stuff when i'm out and about etc. It worked, but it ran like a three legged dog and I took it off in the end.

When XP came out, it also included a licences for win2k so you had a choice - somebody may still be doing something for vista. That way you'll have licences for both and the option to upgrade to vista is always there
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Don't worry about the CPU, it'll handle sequencers well.

Anyway, get a nice interface (Presonus Inspire, M Audio Solo/410/610) or soundcard+preamp. Also, if you can, look into an external box, or PCI card to handle VST plugins so it frees up your CPU.

You may want to have a separate budget to handle backups...how much do you value your work?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 5, 2008,
^ of course, I missed the obvious.

With that budget and what you have suggested, I'd drop the ram down to 2 gig, perhaps go for a 3gis + p4 processor + get an external 250gb usb drive and do a full backup to that.

What interface/soundcard are you going for?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Oh snap, a whole bunch of replies

I think you guys misunderstood me. This isn't going to be a pure recording comp, at least if I can avoid it. This will be an all-purpose sort of thing, minus gaming.

axemanchris, the sound on my computer right now is shot, but I'm going to assume from your expertise that it probably sounds good quality-wise. Once again though, this isn't a pure recording setup.

cuthbertg, thanks for the input on XP. Is it still available for purchase, if you know? Also, I actually happen to be getting a PreSonus Inspire 1394, at least I'm like 90% sure.

Fast_Fingers, that PCI thing seems hella expensive, and I probably won't be using a wheelbarrowful of FX and instruments anyways. Also, what do you mean by backups... like an extra hard drive to save my files on.

Thanks everyone who posted!
Quote by Austyn6661
Oh snap, a whole bunch of replies

Fast_Fingers, that PCI thing seems hella expensive, and I probably won't be using a wheelbarrowful of FX and instruments anyways. Also, what do you mean by backups... like an extra hard drive to save my files on.

Thanks everyone who posted!

Yeah, an extra hard drive. Anyway, I didn't know how much you were willing to spend to cut latency, so I tossed a bunch of ideas out.

Don't forget to include monitors. If you get an affordable interface, you can splurge on sweet monitors that can accurately do low end.

If you have enough space...this will work even better.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 5, 2008,