Alright, so lately, when my picking got a little faster (single picking, like some solos (i still suck)) i realized that my pick is sometimes not hitting the string coordinately because the string is vibrating from the previous hit. How ever i tried picking the same things lower down by the bridge, and it got a little bit easier. Was wondering how many of you do this?

BTW i use Dunlop Jazz 3 picks. If somone has another recommendation, im going to the shop tomorrow, and will pick a few up to try.
by the sound of it u may be hitting ur string to hard, yes the string vibrates but it shouldnt vibrate that much to cause stutter of the picking hand, i suggest u slow the tempo down and practice alternate picking on each string and gradually increase the tempo keeping in mind u have full control of the velocity of ur picking
Dunlop picks are pretty good, I used to use the jazz 3s til I bought the dunlop, I use the ones with the turtle on the front, and the rhino.

Also, I pick normally between my middle and neck pick up
I use Jazz III's as well, they're my fave.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Quote by lowbudgetband
Jim Dunlop Big Stubby.

your joking right?
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by Nevermind1299
Dunlop picks are pretty good, I used to use the jazz 3s til I bought the dunlop, I use the ones with the turtle on the front, and the rhino.

Also, I pick normally between my middle and neck pick up

yeah dawg

[green tortex] .88's are awesome
but i use jazz 3's for metal
pandora.com for kick ass free radio.
I use Dunlop Derlin, .46mm works nice and its hard to lose a pink pick

I pick at about the midpoint of my two pickups, moving closer to the bridge or neck depending on the sound I'm going for.
Last edited by ndrummerc at Nov 4, 2008,
[green tortex] .88's are awesome

yes sir, they are
i pick halfway between bridge and neck when i riff and i pick on the 20th or so fret when im doing single-note melodies
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I have been playing for 1 year and just started "speed picking". It sounds hot. I found that I had to move way down by the lower pickup. Closer to the bridge as you said. If I don't, the strings wiggle too much to make it work right. I'm talking about picking the E, A strings as fast as humanly possible.

The only problem is my wild and frantic picking motion is scatching my pickguard up, but isn't that what it is for?
I use Jazz III's, but also use 2 and 3mm Big Stubbies, 2, 1.14, .88, .60 and .50 Tortex picks. I usually rest the bottom of my palm (that fleshy bit that you use for palm muting) on the bridge so I can palm mute when I want. And that's just how I've always done it, even when I played acoustic (this ofcourse changes when I'm playing full chords, then I use a strumming technique which I'm sure everyone knows how to do). I hear that anchoring your hand anywhere on the guitar is bad because it restricts movement, but I haven't had any trouble. I'm gonna get some lessons soon, so it's all good.
I recently started using 1.5mm Dunlop picks, doubt i will ever use anything else now As for the picking spot, I usually keep my pick centered between the pickups on my guitar.

That is just the spot that feels most comfortable for me, it is truly a players preference though.
alright thanks, now my most favorite spot to play is the very end, by the bridge, but it gives a diff sound (same pitch) but diff tone. So that is why im asking if it is a good idea to pick there.
I pick all over the place depending on the tone I want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I pick all over the place depending on the tone I want.

+1 to this.

However, when I'm picking fast I usually pick just over the middle pickup on my S470.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
For smooth mellow sound, I like to pick at the bottom of the fret past the neck pick-up or near the neck pick-up. For bright, funky sounds and all of my solos, I love to pick at the bridge.
"So mama when you're dustin' please careful not to bust it 'cause someday, I gonna be a star...so don't touch my guitar"
1968-The Archies

GuitarPlaya2000