Ok I've gone through lots of thinking and I might get the Epiphone G-400 but is there any other guitars that I should think about and NOT the fender hss strat. My budget is up to$500

Thanks
What kind of sound you after?
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
don't get an epiphone, that was my first, the g 400, what a pile of crap, only get a fender strat if you don't mind only having 21 frets and the bad customer service. Your budget is up to $500 so go to guitar center and get an esp used, i saw a viper with emgs for $400, it could make about any sound you want, but not tremolo, if your new to electric guitars this would be a bonus.
Quote by Victor Escobar
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Where the hell are you gonna get that for 500 bucks? Cuz I wouldnt mind having one myself.
Where the hell are you gonna get that for 500 bucks? Cuz I wouldnt mind having one myself.

And a G-400 is an excellent guitar depending on wat you're playing. I have a G-400 Custom and I play a lot of blues and Metallica style metal stuff and it handles it perfectly. I have a friend who has the regular G-400 and he's a crazy shredder and his tone is amazing.
the con for having 21 frets may not be a problem for you at all, i'll admit loads of players get by fine with only 21, you'll have trouble playing solos, not that much trouble unless your really into metal, i like having 24 frets, because you have 2 full octaves, you can capo the 12th fret and play all notes a whole octave up, it's fun, not entirely essential i know, people will try and tell you having 21 frets is better because of the placement of the neck pickup, i think it's a myth though, having 21 frets doesn't make the sweet spots on the neck any sweeter.
just go to guitar center and try things out go for the used section it doesnt matter what other peoples opinions are it matters if you like the guitar or not try it out if you dont like it then thats not the guitar you want its simple
I bought a g-400 faded, sweet guitar, only paid 300 after shipping (Im in canada). Then I spend 200 bucks on new pickups and now I love my guitar for only 500 bucks, sounds great.
Quote by Korea Rocks
Ok I've gone through lots of thinking and I might get the Epiphone G-400 but is there any other guitars that I should think about and NOT the fender hss strat. My budget is up to$500

Thanks

A Fender SSS Strat.

But really, there are more guitars than a Fender and Epiphone. Go to your local shop to try some.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Get a blue guitar. Those are the best.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
My Epi LP was surprisingly well made and sounded great considering the price(so far). So with that said, what are you going to play? The style of your music will make a difference on what is recommended.
Try a Fender MIM SSS. They are a lot more versatile than people give them credit for, and frankly I love my 2002 MIM Standard. =3
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I always tell people to go to the music store and try as many guitars as you can. There are a lot of mid range guitars out there that are better than the more expensive ones. Also look at used guitars. I have bought several Gibson SGs and LPs for less than $500.00 off Craigs list or the classifieds in my local paper. When they are that cheap it's always good to check with the police to make sure it's not hot. Deals still can be found and with the slow economy there are more and more deals out there. As it gets closer to the holiday stores will be offering good deals to get product moving so I would wait until after Thanksgiving when the sales start and also as Christmas gets closer you'll see more deals on Craigs list or in the paper. I am lucky enough to live close to Berkley and know a few people that go, so I get news on stuff the students have for sale all the time.

As far as the Epi G400 goes I have tried several and I think they are made well have a great sound, sustain and feel. I almost bought a mint used one with gold hardware and three pups at the local music shop for $315.00. I was undecided and when I went back for it it was gone since then every used one I see is $400.00. You need to find a guitar you feel comfortable with and see if you can try them out on a similar amp you own.
I want to play like rock,soft rock, and blues. I want to play songs like canon rock, songs by linkin park, coldplay, etc. Which guitar best fits those kind of music? Also are the strings on the epiphone g-400 hard to play because I've been reading reveiws and they say that it's hard to play because of the string and the neck is too heavy. I cant go to any guitar stores to check stuff out for a week or two because my parents are busy. Thanks
the neck is a little heavy on the g 400, you can get used to it though, i'd get an ibanez rg in the $300 price range, just make sure you don't get the "gio" because those suck, my rg i can play everything from eric clapton to slayer, system of a down, red hot chili peppers, whatever, it's a good guitar.
Quote by jefffelker40
the neck is a little heavy on the g 400, you can get used to it though, i'd get an ibanez rg in the $300 price range, just make sure you don't get the "gio" because those suck, my rg i can play everything from eric clapton to slayer, system of a down, red hot chili peppers, whatever, it's a good guitar.

Ew, RG's have Edge III's, I wouldn't touch them with a stick. ><

The neck on the G-400 is a little annoying, but if you have a leather strap your problem is solved. Personally if your looking for a guitar other than a tele though, for your styles I'd recommend a fat strat. Yes it's 21 frets, but you can bend the 21st and sound more powerful IMO.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Ew, RG's have Edge III's, I wouldn't touch them with a stick. ><

The neck on the G-400 is a little annoying, but if you have a leather strap your problem is solved. Personally if your looking for a guitar other than a tele though, for your styles I'd recommend a fat strat. Yes it's 21 frets, but you can bend the 21st and sound more powerful IMO.

the edge 3 works great, the reason strats suck is because fender hasn't modernized them at all, they didn't change with the times, but go ahead and get a strat if your looking to buy the image fender is selling then go be a fan boy.
How about a Hagstrom. I played an Ultra Swede, and loved it.
Beautiful neck, great sounding, coil tapped. I want one.

Right now my two options are the Ultra Swede and the G-400.
UG's AC/DC Lover