Page 1 of 2
So I'm looking to try some new picks, just because I've been using Jazz III's for a long time and tbh I haven't played with many picks.

I'm looking for something thick, very rigid, with the same super-pointed tip as the Jazz III but the actual pick be a bit bigger.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
i use tortex.
or you can use jim dunlop nylon 1.14mm. (the ones that glow in the dark)
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
i played tortex jazz picks and just made the switch to the green tortex picks from dunlop. havent gone back

give them a shot
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
try some heavy fender celluloid picks.
they feel pretty good!
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Tortex are great picks. Recently I've been playing Ice Pix, the metal picks. They are rough on the strings but super tight and great for pinch harmonics. I like stubbys for bass, but not so much for guitar.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
I use a variety of picks.... currently I have 2.0mm big stubbies... which are very ridged and thick, and have one hell of an attack tone......
I have some .63mm brain picks.... they are pretty good for light strumming, and have little attack tone.
I have some tortex 1.14mm greens, they are mid range and pretty decent... though they have a tendency to slip out of my hands after about half an hour of playing....
I have some tortex 1.5mm purple picks.... they have more of a ridged strum, but actually don't have as loud of attack tone....
I also have some crappy dickies picks someone got for me... Meds... and they just suck don't buy them.
Quote by Matt in Jerzey
Tortex are great picks. Recently I've been playing Ice Pix, the metal picks. They are rough on the strings but super tight and great for pinch harmonics. I like stubbys for bass, but not so much for guitar.

do you have a link to the ICE PIX? I would like to try them out.... ^_^
Quote by Matt in Jerzey
http://www.ice-pix.com/

I like the medium brass pick. They're not for everybody, but I like them.

thanks... i'm always looking for better picks, because i'm never satisfied with the one's i use....

and these look like they may be what i've been looking for.
They have a great string attack due to the stiffness of the pick, but don't be scared when your string look a little worn. No big deal though.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Oh I won't be... in search of a great pick, i've even used change... and some foreign currency too. I got some of these greek coins that work well for a bellish tone... but they are hard to hold.
Quote by magnum1117
i use tortex.
or you can use jim dunlop nylon 1.14mm. (the ones that glow in the dark)

I have one of these. I really like it. Picks real nice compared to my dunlop ultex picks.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Iceman 420

4-25 dollars for one pick? Outrageous.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
who nows what picks i have! my local music store just has a bucketfull of picks for 50 cents ea, so i just bought a variety. i like to use different picks for different playing.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
try dunlop ultex picks, they dont have a pointy tip but they feel like they do, by a 1mm ultex pick and if you never change back it wouldn't surprise me
Quote by edusty2010

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Yeah, come on over, I'll give you a box of picks to try.
I use Herdim pic's. And I hold it the wrong way. I actually hold the pointed end and strike the strings with the wide end, because it has dimples which give a lovely scratchy sound.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
i like the purple tortex ones the same size and shape as the jazz III.

lovely
Thank you please.
Quote by Lordbob
4-25 dollars for one pick? Outrageous.

There's actually a company called Red Bear Trading Co. that makes $20 picks as well. Tommy Emmanuel uses them and another acoustic forum member swore by them after buying one as well. I'm pretty sure that they work on acoustic(since acoustic guitars are more sensitive to these kinds of things), but maybe not on electric.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by B. Heath
try some heavy fender celluloid picks.
they feel pretty good!

Oh yes...I luvs me some 1mm action!!!
I use .46mm Dunlops...the pink ones. I like them...i don't shred though.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Maybe a Dunlop 205.

Rather thick, like the gator grip 2.0's but they have the small size and the point similar to the jazz III's. Personally I use the dunlop tortex picks in the shape of the Jazz III's. Most accurate pick I have.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Dunlop Tortex .88mm

best pick I have ever used.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I don't know what it is but I cannot go back to other picks. JazzIIIs are too comfy for me.
Gibson.
if i got a v-pick i'd have to keep it duct taped to myself at all times

i lose picks all the time and $4 is a lot to lose =\
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by Skynyrd890
Dunlop Tortex .88mm

best pick I have ever used.

are those purple? If so thats what I use, they wear down really quick.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
If your still questing for a new pick by the time I get my v picks (I ordered quite a few, the screamer, medium pointed. shredder,shredder lite, Medium pointed ultra thin, and an acoustic) when they come in I'll give some mini reviews on every one. I agree thought spending 36 bucks on like 6 picks is ridiculous. However if their amazing I'll make sure to rave about them. But yeah I know when I saw them I just had to try em.

Edit: I ordered them last night so they should be here by anywhere from now to Tuesday. I'm hopin they come in tomorrow.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Last edited by milkmanv1 at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by milkmanv1
If your still questing for a new pick by the time I get my v picks (I ordered quite a few, the screamer, medium pointed. shredder,shredder lite, Medium pointed ultra thin, and an acoustic) when they come in I'll give some mini reviews on every one. I agree thought spending 36 bucks on like 6 picks is ridiculous. However if their amazing I'll make sure to rave about them. But yeah I know when I saw them I just had to try em.

Edit: I ordered them last night so they should be here by anywhere from now to Tuesday. I'm hopin they come in tomorrow.

Sweet man I'd really like to hear your opinions on them. And like mentioned before I lose picks sometimes and honestly I would really not want to lose one of those. I mean $4 isn't too much by itself but it would definately add up over time, just like you said $36 for 6 picks.
My guitar teacher had some picks made from real tortoiseshell when it wasn't illegal. Those picks are priceless. He said he's had offers for $60 for one of them before.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
No prob dude I feel obligated to let you know how they are haha! The picks unfortunately didn't come in today but I'll fill you in as soon as they get here! But yeah I lose picks a lot too so I'm gonna be crushed if I get attached to one of the picks and lose it...then I'm gonna have to spend like 7-8 dollars (4-5 dollar pick plus 2-3 buck shipping) on a replacement. I'm not used to thick picks but from what their saying they play and sound amazing, and glide through the strings. They also claim that as your hand warms up the pick sticks to your hand so they wont fly out of your hands so easily. Also they scream about how the tone is improved... a lot of talk for something as simple as a pick. But yeah I did try to get a variety to scope them out. I figured a med. Pointed would be like the true median, then got some of the picks that are supposedly good for shredding, and then a really light one to try them out, and lastly an acoustic to see if they really do what they say.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by Iceman 420

Lmao. they have a 11.80 mm pick....

EDIT: Ive tried some JazzIII and the only thing i dont like about them is who small they are...
Last edited by JessicaGonzo at Nov 8, 2008,
I use Jim Dunlop --U.S.A-- X-H Transparent green and Dunlop Tortex .88mm
X-H's, I just love.
Tortex, pure epic.
i look for the same thing as you in a pick. the best i have found is the jazz III XL. it isnt quite as hard as i would like it to be but its the right shape.

try dr picks. they are metal and look like they are a similar shape. never tried them so i cant say if they are any good or not.
Page 1 of 2