Me and my friends just started a band, and i wanted to ask those of you that are already in a band how you write your songs. Im not just talking about lyrics but about drum beats and guitar riffs and stuff. How do you put it all together? We tried building our first song and got pretty far but it was all chaos kinda cuz we were yelling ideas out. So we kind of need to organize or something.
Someone's standing on my chest...
Guitar pro is great for working everything out perfectly, especially with the arrangements.
get a guitarist to write a song. Take it to rehearsal. Share. maybe record it if possible. Then, in between rehearsals, have the other members work out parts, or have the songwriter work out all the parts. Let the drummer do their own thing. They can figure it out. It works for me.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Usually, a band member will either come in with an almost finished song, or one member will come in with a riff, and we'll all build on it. The key is not to over analyze the song; to let ideas flow.
We do it this way....

Either I or our other guitarist, Ken, will come up with an idea or ideas to bring to the table. These ideas are generally vocal in nature, be a phrase or two long, and may or may not have a guitar part to go with it. We call these 'seeds.' (ideas, like seeds, germinate as they begin to grow and come to life)

If we can independently take that seed and grow it, we might bring a nearly-completed song to the table next time we get together. If not, we at least arrive with some ideas to work on.

Next, we'll get together and share our ideas. Just the two of us and our guitars. We'll try to see what we can do with those ideas. Can we make those seeds grow into something together? Maybe I can add a phrase or two to one of his ideas, or vice-versa.

Once we have either a fully grown song, or even just a fully formed part (a chorus, a verse, whatever), we'll lay down a very basic drum beat in Cubase and lay down a couple of rough guitar parts, maybe a rough bass line, and a rough vocal. If it is a verse or a chorus, we'll simply file it away for working on later. If it is a fully-developed song (well... semi-developed.... more of a 'here's three verses and a chorus....), then we'll post it to the private area of our website and the drummer and bass player will download them and do their things with it.

When we arrive at rehearsal, we start working on developing the song... arrangement, production, editing, etc. as we see fit as a band.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
well, normally with us there are a couple of different ways it comes out.

one way is that one of the guitarists has a riff, then us two guitarists work together until we have a few riffs that go together, like verse riffs, chorus riffs and etc. then someone will write words to it, depending on who's feeling it at the moment and we bring it to practice to work on and it expands.

then a lot of times someone will have a whole song written out (lyrics) and then we write guitar parts to it and then everyone kinda falls in and adds their own input.

recently I finally put a riff together that I've had for a while, then me and the drummer (who's very good with writing) worked together to write lyrics to it and we put everything in order. for this one I wrote out everything except the drums and the lyrics and everybody else is just learning it.

it kinda depends. sometimes someone will have it all written out on their own, sometimes it'll just be a loose jam that sounds awesome and we write words to it and perfect it, sometimes we just have a riff that we build own.
I write all the guitar parts, and the lyrics. I then tell the singer how to sing them, and teach the bassist his part, tell the keyboardist the chords, the drummer just puts his own beats to them. We then sort the order out "in our heads" so to speak, tho it's usually governed by the lyrics.

It's a bit one-sided as I do everything but it get's things done quick.
Well, me and my group have limited experience, but it tends to be that there are two or three primary songwriters, often the instrumentalists who handle lead melody (in our bands case, me and the keyboardist. We have a second guitarist who COULD help, but he's not very enthusiastic and sucks at theory even more than us). One of these songwriters will come up with a riff, lick or groove or whatever, either spontaneously or delibaretely (the former is quite common!) and another songwriter will build on it, until you've got something going on.
Usually, these songwriters will build on the song and get more intricate and complicated until you have a well structured, theoretically sound song. I.E., I've come home from a session where I devised a riff, the pianist found the right chords, and we worked out a quick intro. I'm just now finding some good chord sequences to use for the chorus and bridge, etc.

And, you can't learn to write good songs. It just happens. And everyone has the ability to write a great song, it just needs creativity/imagination.
With my old band, i would bring a guitar riff to practice, and me and the bass player would just work on stuff until we got pretty much the whole song except for the solo written, and the drummer would listen to us and do his own thing... Once we got all the main stuff written, our singer would write lyrics, and we'd put it all together.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Rock Pig

And, you can't learn to write good songs. It just happens. And everyone has the ability to write a great song, it just needs creativity/imagination.

Disagree entirely on both counts. Sure, some of it requires some sort of innate (I won't say talent) aptitude, but it is a skill that takes most people years to hone and develop to become truly good at it. Most people can NOT write a great song. That's why great songs and great writers are worth so much money.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Practice - I do alot of writing for my band cause I seem to be the only one working intensivly at getting better and they make excuses. (practice doesnt have much to do with the writing but im implying I seem to have the time to do it if they wont even work on practicing) But for every 5 bad song ideas I think of, I get 1 good one... and out of every 10 good song ideas I get 1 great song....... not same for everyone but it takes practice and alot of reworking of ideas.

There is one type of feeling... (angry as an example) but theres countless ways to express it.. and you want to express it in a way people can relate... sometimes you can get it first try, more times then not you cant.. and some songs seem good but could be shelved for the future where they are more prone to be accepted by others