I don't have the amp yet, but I'm thinking about getting one later on as a practice amp since I can no longer really stand my Ibby TB.

I was wondering if you could put an EL34 or KT77 in it to replace the EL84, so that it could handle higher gain better? Also, would a higher gain preamp tube give it a little more kick? I know the EL84 could handle a Distortion box just fine, but in terms of the power tube overdrive, I'm in the understanding that EL34s sound better in a metal setting, while still achieving classic tones, while EL84s usually bring to mind classic Brit blues.

Basically, I really wanna make sure I can make this amp hot/more capable of handling high gain BEFORE adding OD/Distortion boxes to get my sound. Anyone with experience in this?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Sorry for the bump, don't know if there will be more people on around now that can answer my question or not.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Little 5 watt valve amps ain't much good for metal, even with an overdrive.
It would not be an easy thing to convert this amp. The socket would need to be changed not so easy a thing on a PC board. Along with the transformer. Your gonna want to find a different amp. Maybe one of AX84s amps.
^ +1

el84 is 9 pin while most of those other valves are octal, plus they run at different plate voltages and need different transformers etc.

plus a power tube swap, even if it were possible, is unlikely to change a low gain amp to a metal monster... most of the high-gain stuff is done in the preamp, anyway...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 to everything in the thread. I have a Little Giant and if you want to do metal then this is not the amp for it. You could get high gain with a pedal but the amp alone, even with an OD, isn't going to get into metal territory.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
K, this is as I thought after looking into it a bit more. Guess I'll just pair one with a Metal Muff when I get one and stay content with that

Thanks for all the replies!

Stupid name.