For Spanish III class, we have to do a big report on a famous Spanish artist. I was just wondering who some famous Spanish Guitarists are. Not just mediocre famous, but famous enough to do a big report on.
Anti-Sig

███████
███████████
██████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████
Tarrega, Villa-Lobos, Albeniz...
Nerve threads decoding the stream of the reality-inverting revolution
The patterned untruth of non-dream:
The closed-eye
visual delusion.
Quote by genocidedelight
Tarrega, Villa-Lobos, Albeniz...

villa lobos - brazilian
albeniz - pianist

do a report on the romero family. The royal family of the classical guitar
So far the only
Spaniards mentioned in the thread are
Segovia, Tarrega, and Paco de Lucia and Los Romeros (last weren't particularly influential).

You'll probably find biographical info on Segovia more easily available than the others.
You could include from the 19th century D Aguado, Fernando Sor, Julian Arcas.
From 20th Century : Sabicus, Miguel Llobet, R Sanz de la Maza, Narcisso Yepes.

Of course, there are others.
Paco de Lucia is insaneee.

I wanted to say Andrew York, but he's not spanish, of course.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Andres Segovia just about single-handedly made the Classical Guitar a respected instrument by transcribing great works by J.S. Bach and playing music with passion and skill. I along with every other classical guitarist owe him a great deal; check out a recording and hear him yourself.

Nick

http://www.toptierguitarstudio.com
Quote by captainoid
This. Fucking intense player.

Player? PLAYER!?! He's the grandfather and Maestro of everything guitar related to come to the US, and you name him simply "player"?
I sometimes wonder if people really realize the significance and impact of Segovia's work on todays music. He was THE early influence that started the ball rolling. I also wonder what pop music would be like had he not been a factor. I picture a russian orchestra hall, filled with dull, dimwitted people listening to dull music. It's very scary.
Quote by LeftyDave
Player? PLAYER!?! He's the grandfather and Maestro of everything guitar related to come to the US, and you name him simply "player"?
I sometimes wonder if people really realize the significance and impact of Segovia's work on todays music. He was THE early influence that started the ball rolling. I also wonder what pop music would be like had he not been a factor. I picture a russian orchestra hall, filled with dull, dimwitted people listening to dull music. It's very scary.

Actually, since his death in 1987 there has been considerable re-evaluation by guitarists of Segovia's place in the guitar cosmos, and your viewpoint is by no means universally held.
But certainly, your viewpoint was held by Segovia himself.
Edgar Cruz is a personal favourite, truly fantastic player (and excellent teacher per his DVD) and his arrangements are gorgeous.
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
Quote by R.Christie
Actually, since his death in 1987 there has been considerable re-evaluation by guitarists of Segovia's place in the guitar cosmos, and your viewpoint is by no means universally held.

I know, it was meant to be a bit satirical, but maybe it was wasted in here. I'll try harder next time.
The man was so full of himself to be borderline pathetic. However, he did have good reason to place himself up on that unreachable pedestal, as his performances showed. At the time, I think it was perhaps the lack of high quality competition that allowed Segovia his rock solid perch. If he were alive today, I think he'd have been knocked down a couple of notches by some of todays top dogs. The man did indeed know his instrument though, no matter how much he boasted.
Agreed. Nevertheless some of his interpretations are truly delicious, he was an artist of his era, and probably couldn't have achieved the things he did without such a personality.

Oscar Ghilia recalled him as saying, about his status in the guitar world:

First there is me, .... then there is no one.
Then are the rest.

Whether it was said tongue in cheek we will likely never know.

Agreed. I did notice the sarcasm though Dave.