I know most of us here live somewhat close to a music store where we can try some gear before we choose to make our purchases, but what about shopping for brands/models they don't carry. How do you guys shop for gear not readily available to you?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by AcousticSlayer
Musician's Friend catalogs, Guitar Center Website, and UG forums.

Pretty much.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
if you can't try it yourself, read as many reviews as you can and ask UG about it.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
If you want to try out a guitar or amp or whatever in person go to the company website and click on dealers and look for local dealers of the guitar or gear you want.
I'll just read reviews and such. Sometimes I'll see if anybody else owns what I'm looking for, and can maybe provide some sound clips and such. I don't really ask here on UG, because I tend to get answers from people who really have no clue about what they're talking about, and have never seen/tried the product I'm asking about. Also, if it's an amp or something, I'll go to the companys main site and see if they have clips and see what artist are using the same product.

Sometimes I'll just pull the trigger and order/buy it without knowing much about it too. That's very unlikely, but it's kind of fun depending on what you're shopping for and how much you're spending.

EDIT- As far as the sound clips, I never really use youtube as a place to go. Youtube videos are to compressed, and having somebody take there time and just do a clip at home or provide studio clips helps me much more.
look up on craigslist. find the dude who has something your interested in. call him up and pretend you wanna buy it and go over to his house and try it
I also had another question but I didn't want to start another thread.
There's so many amp companies/models, how do you guys learn all the number/letter combinations and how good they are?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
There's so many amp companies/models, how do you guys learn all the number/letter combinations and how good they are?

passion.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I'll watch demo's, read reviews, and ask around.

I'm pretty adamant about 'playing before paying' on big purchases though.
Quote by Soul Eater

i like the passion response, but after doing several amp searches and looking through musicians friend catalogs for so many years, you just start to remember things. if i see something recommended on one of these that i don't know about, google becomes my best friend for about 15 minutes while i research it
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
I usually ask certain members of UG....ie Erock etc....

Also, I go to HC and see what they say....

Also, I go to HRI and see what they say....

theres lots of forums around...just ask
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Soul Eater

Well...this definitely takes time. I've been doing crazy research for my Christmas already ($600-700 electric for metal, and a few other reqs) and I have a list of models i want to try out.

I suggest you spend 15-ish minutes checking out a certain series each day. Check wikipedia for an overview (if it covers that series), look at the website to see the specs, listen to clips if you can find them, and read reviews / threads about that series on this site and see what the overall feeling seems to be.