Ok. i would probably buy a distortion pedal for my set up. i want pure heavy/death metal distortion, for example, metallica, megadeth, dio, black label society, black sabbath, -> (These actually are my favorite bands). so an OD is not good for me since i have a solid state amp, it is a line 6 120W (I HAVE FOUND A FUNCTION IN WHICH ALL EFFECTS ARE OFF, SO NO WORRIES THAT IT WILL NOT GO WELL WITH PEDALS, BECAUSE ITS JUST PURE CLEAN GUITAR SOUND, NO GAIN, NO NOTHING). I read once in a thread that tube pedals go along very well with solid state amp, they emulate fairly good the tube sound (obviously because they have tube/s of their own), but that solid state pedals (or however they are called) will not make a big difference to solid state amps.

Here are the ones i been looking at for a while now.

Blackstar HT DistX Tube High Gain Distortion****
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King****
EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 uber metal
Jekyll and Hyde Overdrive and Distortion Multi…
Krank Distortus Maximus
Digitech Metal Master
Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion

**** = with tubes, i have mainly look at these 2 and yet not decided which is better for me .

so what do you think? im i right? will tube pedals be good for me or i might as well just go for a metal muff or uber metal??

and for the tube-king and blackstar, which one will be better?? note: it beats the crap out of me that the tube in this pedals will simply blow off or stop working, please give some info, advice, etc, about this.

tnks a loot for your help

BTW: DONT TELL ME THAT I NEED TO UPGRADE MY AMP, BECAUSE I WILL JUST IGNORE YOU. obviusly i will eventually upgrade it but for now i stick to mine
Why don't you try a guitar processor. Line 6 makes a couple of pretty good ones aswell as Digitech. This way you can sound any way you want. You can download any amp sound as well as any effect sound you want. They go for around $150-400.
BUYING A PEDAL WILL NOT CHANGE YOUR TONE AS MUCH AS BUYING A NEW AMP WILL. PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT ARE TRYING TO SAVE YOU MONEY! (Input on pedals below.)

With that out of the way, out of the ones you listed, you're best bet would probably be the Metal Muff, though I haven't had much experience with the "tube" pedals. Though, regardless of whether you're using effects or whatnot, your line6 still may not get along to well with your pedal. Another one you might want to look into is Boss Metal Zone pedal. They work well with the genres you play.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
so you would then be relying only on OD pedal for disti on a clean SS amp?

Bad Monkey.

$50 and you can take it with you when you do upgrade...hope it works bro.

i didnt get you, what i meant is that OD is NOT good for me beacuse i need more gain for my ss amp. Nevertheless, will the bad monkey take me to a metallica tone?
I dont think so but please reply. And tnks for the help!
Quote by RickDe
Why don't you try a guitar processor. Line 6 makes a couple of pretty good ones aswell as Digitech. This way you can sound any way you want. You can download any amp sound as well as any effect sound you want. They go for around $150-400.

i agree, that is something you need to consider, but if id go for one i would go for a digitech, probably i would get very symilar sounds with a line 6 multi effects...tnks!
Quote by theacousticpunk
BUYING A PEDAL WILL NOT CHANGE YOUR TONE AS MUCH AS BUYING A NEW AMP WILL. PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT ARE TRYING TO SAVE YOU MONEY! (Input on pedals below.)

With that out of the way, out of the ones you listed, you're best bet would probably be the Metal Muff, though I haven't had much experience with the "tube" pedals. Though, regardless of whether you're using effects or whatnot, your line6 still may not get along to well with your pedal. Another one you might want to look into is Boss Metal Zone pedal. They work well with the genres you play.

In your opinion, is the metal muff a good pedal for metal? I have seen a lot of reviews and it seems it kicks ass, however, it is good to have different people's perspectives, and tnks for the help!
MetGuns - as it turns out i have clips with all of those combinations really
MFX to PC
MFX to Valveking
MFX to solid state FM212
Bad Monkey to Valveking
Bad Monkey to FM212

I'm not trying to promote my crappy mic or playing but a Bad Monkey works well as clean boost...boosting tubes. Not so much with ss but it might give you thrash type metal like 'tallica on your 6 - not sure

check 4.4 and Brownie. The FM212 stands there somewhere but i forget title.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 5, 2008,
I know you don't want to hear it, but you're better off buying a new amp instead of a pedal. Just save up a bit of money, sell the Spider and get a better amp!
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^agreed......and I don't think i've seen you around in a while...whaz up

*looks left*

*looks right*

Me?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Wow I wasn't aware that anybody noticed me. Anywho, I've been busy lurking some of the bigger threads in the Pit and haven't had much time to browse around here. What's up with you?

TS, what he ^ said is right, a distortion pedal isn't going to help you in the long run, heck it probably won't help you period. You're much better off if you save money now and get a decent amp since a distortion pedal is just going to be a band aid on a broken leg.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
if you're looking for a high gain distortion, check out the MXR Dime Distortion Pedal, I'm loving it so far, and I play metal nearly-exclusively
Quote by thsrayas
Wow I wasn't aware that anybody noticed me. Anywho, I've been busy lurking some of the bigger threads in the Pit and haven't had much time to browse around here. What's up with you?

TS, what he ^ said is right, a distortion pedal isn't going to help you in the long run, heck it probably won't help you period. You're much better off if you save money now and get a decent amp since a distortion pedal is just going to be a band aid on a broken leg.

coolie - i just recognized your name and avatar that's all. All is well here at GGnA.

MetGuns - the Big Muff and Jeckyl pedal certainly get their praise but we're just not sure on your amp....i'm thinking not so much. Depends I guess.
Effects still aren't going to do that amp any good. It's still a modeling amp, and it dosn't respond well with pedals. You're better off selling your amp and saving some cash to buy a better amp. I'm not going to tell you to go get a tube amp, because I know some people do prefer having a solid state over a tube at times.

Also, no pedal is going to give you the 'Metallica' sound. You could get close, but that would involve you spending a couple grand on a setup, which I'm assuming you don't have. You'll be much happier if you purchase a new amp.

EDIT-
Although I don't understand why other people want to copy a certain bands sound, I don't understand why people ask for the 'Metallica' sound, or the 'Pantera' sound. If you want to get a simular sound, you should atleast tell us what album you're speaking of.
You can get old thrash type metallica on a Classic 30, Valveking, Crate V BTW. You don't have to spend 2,000+.

+we always ask what type of sound someone is after. Just because someone says Metallica doesn't mean they are trying to copy - but may just trying to find a starting point.
That Blackstar pedal just destroys the other ones you listed (although I don't know anything about the Tube King or the Krank). Your budget is all the over the map right now.

Stay away from the Digitech and the Line 6. Metal Muff is good for the price, but keep that bold part in mind.

PS - NEW AMP!!!
Last edited by FlyingBeerman at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by thsrayas
I know you don't want to hear it, but you're better off buying a new amp instead of a pedal. Just save up a bit of money, sell the Spider and get a better amp!

i will consider it, however, my i bought my line 6 spider 120W in July, it is in perfect shape, no scratch or anything, new it costs $400, so around how much is worth?

Btw. does guitar center buys that stuff?
Quote by MetGunsACGuitar
for example, metallica, megadeth, dio, black label society, black sabbath

none of those bands.. with maybe the exception of black label society (wouldn't know since i don't listen to them) use that heavy of a distortion. most of those pedals would be far too nasty sounding for things like black sabbath and dio especially.

i'm not entirely sure what to reccommend for you considering you don't want an OD or a new amp.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.