I just took my guitar in for some rewiring and I also got it set up and restrung. When I'm playing it the low E and A strings buzz a bit and I was just wondering if that's normal for new strings or is there a problem.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
give it a week or two and if it still buzzes take it back to be looked at. usually my strings buzz for a while when they're fresh.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
If the guitar shop set it up, it shouldn't buzz, I think. Tell them about it, they will probably fix it for free.

Part of a set up is giving you proper action.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
K thanks, that's what I figured.

Play it for an hour or so at least. Tune it up before you put it back down, then when you play it tomorow, make sure it's in tune again and play it. It dosn't take to long for strings to break in. If it's still buzzing, adjust the truss rod a little bit. Also, if you can't hear the buzz through your amp, then it's nothing to worry about.

mikeyELITE, one or two weeks? I use to change strings every 2-3 weeks until I switched to Elixirs, now it's like 8 weeks, and they're ussually still fine by the time I change them still. It shouldn't take more then 48 hours at the most for strings to wear in.
I second taking it back considering you paid for it. Otherwise Id raise the action slightly or if its just on the first few frets adjust the truss rod. Otherwise maybe your playing too hard? If so try picking lighter. Most likely an action problem though
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Quote by caraluzzo

mikeyELITE, one or two weeks? I use to change strings every 2-3 weeks until I switched to Elixirs, now it's like 8 weeks, and they're ussually still fine by the time I change them still. It shouldn't take more then 48 hours at the most for strings to wear in.

really ? how often do you play ? i play few hours a day on d'addario 11's and i don't notice a loss in tone for a couple months.
Today I was playing alot of Atreyu which is in Drop C so I'd assume a lower tuning would cause a little buzzing even when the strings aren't held down. When its in standard it really doesn't buzz unless its held down.

Quote by MasterExploder0
Today I was playing alot of Atreyu which is in Drop C so I'd assume a lower tuning would cause a little buzzing even when the strings aren't held down. When its in standard it really doesn't buzz unless its held down.

that would be your problem. if it was set up for standard it going to buzz a bit in lower tunings.
Quote by mitch311
I second taking it back considering you paid for it. Otherwise Id raise the action slightly or if its just on the first few frets adjust the truss rod. Otherwise maybe your playing too hard? If so try picking lighter. Most likely an action problem though

I really don't wanna mess with the action or truss rod because I don't wanna screw it up too bad. I'll just wait a few days and see if it improves.

^ Well yeah... if you loosen the strings that much, expect it to buzz dude.

Try it in standard tuning.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Sin City Sid
I set mine up so low that if it don't buzz just a bit it ain't low enough

great man, I always do the same.
People tend to go crazy with concern that their strings buzz, but the fact of the matter is, that you can have alot of buzz when you play accoustically, but once your amp is at a reasonable volume you wont hear a thing. I find that low action and a near straight neck is the way to go. Playing is easier and you'll be able to do more advanced stuff without notes accidently "unfretting". The important thing to look after is that your neck is straight, because if it is not, you will have notes fretting out when doing full bends in many locations.

People seem to think that the truss rod is this dangerous thing that if not setup right can break your instrument into a thousand pieces. All it is is a long bolt that fights against the strings pulling on the neck. As long as you dont overtighten it( and that means using extrmely excessive force) youll be allright.

Get it as close to straight as you can, and set your stings to prefered height. DO not worry about strings buzzing/rattling when you do not have the guitar plugged in. I have tried many pro players guitars and not one of them is buzz/rattle free when played accoustically. This is normal and only a sign that your action is not insanely high and unplayable. The important thing is that you can achieve full bends at all locations without fretting out.

This not to say that you cant have your strings too low, cuz you certainly can. And the higher your stings are off the board the easier it is to "grip" the strings in order to bend. If you go too low you will also experience that if you hit the strings really hard it will sound weird and percussionlike. It as all a matter of finding the perfect compromise really.

Lots of words, but the point is. do not get freaked out about strings buzzing or rattling. it is perfectly normal, and no problem as long as it doesnt sound trough your amp; and believe me, it has to be BAD for you to hear it through an amp.

Hope this can put some peoples minds at ease.
Last edited by chrisdam at Nov 5, 2008,
Well said Chris. Couldn't agree more. You made a mention of relief. I find it funny that on this board people recommend the size of a credit card. That's not enough, I set mine up at 5 to 10 thousands. Flat, flat, flat.
Quote by mikeyElite
really ? how often do you play ? i play few hours a day on d'addario 11's and i don't notice a loss in tone for a couple months.

It's not tone loss, it's rust on the strings. I read somewere that the strings last for a shorter time period with some people do to there sweat. Some peoples sweat seams to cause rust faster then others. It also happens with hardware on certain guitars. But I play all different times, so it's hard to say how long I'm playing. One day I'll get in 6 hours, and the next I can only get an hour at the most.

I wasn't questioning anything with tone loss though, I just wanted to know the reason for letting them stretch for a week or two. Ussually if you play on the guitar once it's restrung, you can just wait a day or so until you pick it back up and it'll be fine.
Thanks guys, It does buzz in standard when my amp isn't on and it kind of annoys me. Is there a way I can adjust it so it doesn't buzz as much in lower tunings, and how will that effect how it sounds in standard?

bump

Quote by MasterExploder0
Thanks guys, It does buzz in standard when my amp isn't on and it kind of annoys me. Is there a way I can adjust it so it doesn't buzz as much in lower tunings, and how will that effect how it sounds in standard?

Well i really suggest you simply accept it and learn to live with it as more experienced players have As we have said, it is perfectly normal and not a problem unless to an extreme extend where notes start to die out on you.

Now i dont know what guitar you have, but the quality of the fretwork and the general effectiveness of the trussrod(its ability to actually make the neck straight; cheap guitars tend to not be equally straight over the entire neck, so a "pefect" setup is impossible. I have experienced that with alot of guitars of my own, and setups i have done for others. My gibby lp and my tele are of high quality and are set really low, whereas a stagg and a cheap ibanez i have are not able to get nearly as low without notes fretting out on bends. This is due to the neck not beiing the same "degree of curvage" all over the neck and uneven frets.
but generally, dont worry about it as long as its not a problem when your actually playing
Quote by Sin City Sid
Well said Chris. Couldn't agree more. You made a mention of relief. I find it funny that on this board people recommend the size of a credit card. That's not enough, I set mine up at 5 to 10 thousands. Flat, flat, flat.

yeah i never got that either. it is far from a good setup, no matter how you like your action
FYI i just took meassurements of my action. it is 1.5 mm or 3.75/64 inches at the low E and 1.00 (2.5/64 inches) at the high E. This in combo with a very straight neck; not totally straight, but close enough for me not to be able to meassure it precisely enough, ( I use picks for this purpuse) gives me a bit of buzz esp, on the low E string, but nothing of concern, and all notes are loud and clear when plugged in, and believe me the playablitity of this setup is comfy as ever Your milage may vary but try setting the neck first and then try different string heights for about 15 minuttes at a time plugged in at playing volume see what you like and look aside form accoustic buzzing