OK, i dont know if this exists, but here it goes. I'm looking for a clean booster/overdriver that thickens my tone and it boosts and, if possible, moves into a more gritty distortion rather than the really "muddy-ish" tone that you typically get out of something like a fuzz face. does such a thing exist?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
would something like a TS9 or TS9 mod do the trick?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
You could try the Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 (Linear Power Booster) they are really chap as well, something like 40-50 dollars US.
Quote by bogg808
You could try the Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 (Linear Power Booster) they are really chap as well, something like 40-50 dollars US.

thats wat i was thinking, either tha tor the Boosta Grande. but do they thicken your tone?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
The boosta grande is more like a clean boost so it probably wouldn't unless it was set high enough. The Electro-Harmonix overdrives more that the BBE. You could also try the MXR Micro Amp, but it costs more than the Electro-Harmonix.
on one of the youtube demos, the boosta grande thickened the tone up.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
not all that high. obviously higher than unity gain.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Try the Fulltone Fat Boost. It's a simple pedal, that gives you a clean boost. But will add a little "balls to your tone". Plus its true-bypass.
If you're looking for a good over-drive to do something similar, Fulltone's Fulldrive 2 is really good.
And in case you're wondering, no, I don't work for Fulltone.
another pedal I can recommend is the MI Audio Boost 'N' Buff. It's more expensive that the EHX or BBE but I think it is one of the best booster pedals. When the boost knob is past 12:00 o'clock, it acts as a treble booster and can nearly get into distortion territory. It has a good buffered bypass aswell so you can use it as the start of your signal chain if you run a lot of true bypass pedals.
sure, problem is it's just a matter of trying a bunch of boosts to find one which does what you want...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BB preamp pedal? maybe just a thought.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
BB preamp pedal? maybe just a thought.

yea, that's really sweet, and I love andy timmons' tone...only problem is that it's a bit out of my price range. I was thinking $160 absolute max.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Oky doky.

First of all, I'm looking to spend preferably about $125, but, like i said, i'm willing to go all the way the $160.

What I what is something that can kinda do both of those i guess.... I really think i just need to get two pedals. But i want something like a TS, but with a thicker, more modern overdriven tone, closer to that of a DS-1 i guess, but i also want to be able to do a sort of clean boost with it. i saw a thread yesterday where people were talking about just using their TS-9 as a boost. would that be good?

The thing is, i have a love/hate relationship with the drive channel on my fender hot rod deluxe, so i want something that can *potentially* replace that but also be used to push that channel a bit too.

is that a better description?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Well, first off, I'd stay away from a DS-1. It's a distortion pedal, and isn't going to lay over your leads very well. Plus, it's buzzy and sounds shitty.

A TS type of pedal (Ibanes TS-808, Ibanes TS-9, BBE Green Screamer, Maxon OD-808, etc...) is a very popular pedal for boosts, since it has a mid-hump that really helps you pop through the mix. However, if you're not looking to change your fundamental tone, it's this same mid-hump that makes a TS-style pedal undesirable, as it will change your tone.
A TS-9 makes a great pairing for the HRD, though, for replacing/making the drive channel usable. The UGer chea_man has some clips of his HRD+TS combo on his profile.

Now, if you want to boost the gain of your solo, while bumping up some of your low mids and bass, for a thicker tone...Most of your fundamental tone will remain unchanged, if you use an EQ.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, first off, I'd stay away from a DS-1. It's a distortion pedal, and isn't going to lay over your leads very well. Plus, it's buzzy and sounds shitty.

A TS type of pedal (Ibanes TS-808, Ibanes TS-9, BBE Green Screamer, Maxon OD-808, etc...) is a very popular pedal for boosts, since it has a mid-hump that really helps you pop through the mix. However, if you're not looking to change your fundamental tone, it's this same mid-hump that makes a TS-style pedal undesirable, as it will change your tone.
A TS-9 makes a great pairing for the HRD, though, for replacing/making the drive channel usable. The UGer chea_man has some clips of his HRD+TS combo on his profile.

Now, if you want to boost the gain of your solo, while bumping up some of your low mids and bass, for a thicker tone...Most of your fundamental tone will remain unchanged, if you use an EQ.

yea...i had heard (both through first hand experience and the grapevine) that the DS-1 (non-modded) was sub=par.

OK, i dont mind the mid's boost. i like me my mids. What i dont like is how the bass seems to be cut on pedals like the TS-808. Ill check out the ts-9 tho, it caught my eye the other day.

thanks for your help!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forsaknazrael
Check out the Maxon, then. It can run on 18V, and the bass response just gets retarded.

Be sure to check chea_man's profile, his shit sounds good.

oky doky, thanks
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forsaknazrael
Check out the Maxon, then. It can run on 18V, and the bass response just gets retarded.

Be sure to check chea_man's profile, his shit sounds good.

hey thanks!!!
i built my ts 808 from a kit from general guitar gadgets. it has three settings, traditional 808, clean boost, and LED clippers. you also have the option of spending 8 more bucks and you get some other mods, like bass boost.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
hey thanks!!!
i built my ts 808 from a kit from general guitar gadgets. it has three settings, traditional 808, clean boost, and LED clippers. you also have the option of spending 8 more bucks and you get some other mods, like bass boost.

i wish i could do that...i have absolutely no experience with wiring, and i really don't think id be able to follow through with the project
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
it's REALLY to bad your budgets not higher, if you could stretch it to $220, you could get a diamond j-drive mark3.

It's a VERY versatile drive and a clean boost in one pedal, all handwired boutique. Definitely check it out though and see if you can save up. The clips don't do it justice as well. You can go from chimey overdrive to a huge classic rock sound to a huge mid humped tone, and a clean boost on top of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2q-SFEROjg
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808