whats the name of this chord and how is it constructed?

5 string 3 fret, 4 string 5 fret, 3 string 5 fret, 2 string 3 fret, 1 string 3 fret.
Csus2
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
C-G-C-D-G . . . . call it whatever you want. C9 whatever else. . ..
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Last edited by notsee at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by tom183
Csus2 is correct. It cant be C9 due to the lack of a major 3rd.

Or the 7th.

If it was C9 it would have to have C (root), E (major 3rd), G (fifth), A#/Bb (minor 7th) and D (ninth).

Adding the 3rd to a Csus2 would make it a Cadd9.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you don't even know the notes of the fretboard, you shouldn't be concerned about how the chord is constructed.
Quote by winterXsolstice
without actually playing it, sounds like a c maj bar chord to me.

Nope that would need 5th fret on the B string which is an E, the 3rd of a C chord. The third fret is down a whole step so that becomes a second, thus it is a Csus2.
Since intervallically that is not the second, wouldn't it be a sus 9? Since in fact the interval is an octave above the second?
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

Quote by notsee
Since intervallically that is not the second, wouldn't it be a sus 9? Since in fact the interval is an octave above the second?

Possibly but generally if it's a "sus" chord you use the 2 and the 4 for naming purposes and extended chords (add and other versions) use the compound interval names. In theory what you say should be right but I think the convention arose to stop confusion...probably, I would have thought anyway, who knows.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It looks like a G5 chord, with the second note added.

So I think it is C5add2.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant it looked like a C5 >.>
Last edited by gary2damax at Nov 7, 2008,
It's a Csus2! Pretend your first finger is the nut and you'll see it's an ASus2 moved up three frets for crying out loud. All E, ,A & D - based barre chords do this!
Moving on.....
Quote by alexcp94
whats the name of this chord and how is it constructed?

5 string 3 fret, 4 string 5 fret, 3 string 5 fret, 2 string 3 fret, 1 string 3 fret.
some people call this a C sus2.
but I've named her Clarissa. and she's built like a brick shit-house.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Possibly but generally if it's a "sus" chord you use the 2 and the 4 for naming purposes and extended chords (add and other versions) use the compound interval names. In theory what you say should be right but I think the convention arose to stop confusion...probably, I would have thought anyway, who knows.

Well, I am a little unconventional these days since I haven't honestly studied theory in a class in a long time. I mean theory is good for understanding but then you kinda forget it all, and the only decent use for theory I have had lately is really just for telling people what I'm playing so they can follow.
Quote by paranoid joker

Quote by notsee
Well, I am a little unconventional these days since I haven't honestly studied theory in a class in a long time. I mean theory is good for understanding but then you kinda forget it all, and the only decent use for theory I have had lately is really just for telling people what I'm playing so they can follow.

I've never studied theory in a class of any kind, just looked at lessons on t'internet.

I think that that's all theory is really for, you can write whatever the hell you like but as long as you have a good understanding of theory you can communicate it easily to anyone. Sure it can help you if you don't know what to do when harmonizing or whatever but you don't need it to write interesting or complicated music.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
If you don't even know the notes of the fretboard, you shouldn't be concerned about how the chord is constructed.

i know some of them... not all but i am trying to learn them...