So here i am, stuck with a guitar for about $210, i acually got the money for a Gibson SG Standard, but as i only played for like 3 - 4 months now i feels its abit to much.

So i saw this kinda cheap deal on a site where you get 2 pickups for $150.
"Seymour Duncan SSH JB hot rodded humbucker set"

Neck: SH-2N jazz
Bridge: SH-4 JB

Now to the question, i play alot at home through my Marshall MG15 amp (Aye its crappy but its a homeamp).
And at bandpractice/band gigs we get these all valve amps to play with (something in our city that supports localbands).

Now, will it be an upgrade to put $150 worth of pickups in a guitar for $210?
Or is it just a waste of money?

The guitar body is made out of Alder and the neck is made of Hard Maple with fingerboard out of rosewood, bolt on neck. (SG Shape).

I play diffrent types of music, our new band we are setting up is probally just gonna be som hard-rock / punk band.

Cheers
if it plays good, its probably worth it.
pickups change the sound of a guitar completely.
but if its a REALLY shitty guitar... buy another one
I know you probably don't want to change your amp but....
It would probably be better to get a small cheap tube amp like the Valve Junior or a Blackheart BH5-112...

But yes, if the guitar plays well, then it would be a good idea to change out the pickups (if you don't like the ones that are in there)

Also before you buy those pickups... what music do you play?
Quote by ChordMonger
amen to geekcore
if it plays ok and feels ok, pickups will go a LONG way
but if its a completely undesirable guitar, throwing money at it will solve nothing

Its that good that i wont buy a new guitar until im good enough to play on a real Gibson SG Standard.

At the moment it feels great, just a few adjustments to the action and the body

The music i play is: Everything from Rock to Punk to Heavy Metal.

AC/DC , Black Sabbath , Megadeth , Metallica , Ebba Grön , Sex Pistols , Motörhead, well you get the point.

Id might buy a Marshall Valvestate 40 for about $190
Last edited by Zapher at Nov 5, 2008,
According to your profile you are playing through an MG - I'd change your amp, like guitarcam123 said. You can put nice pickups in and it'll make a bit of a difference, but it still won't sound great through an MG, you'd be better of spending the money on a valve amp, it'll give you a better sound now, and there is no way you're going to want to be playing a Gibson SG through an MG!! so you'll want to change your amp at some point anyway.
It's not going to give you $150 worth of improvement - it probably won't change much of anything to be honest. There's far more cost effective things to spend your money on, $150 would buy you a better amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Okey so i decided to keep my stock pickups, i rather buy a new amp.
My max budget to put out on this is probally $250 - 390, could i get a decent amp that will work even when i get a real Gibson SG Standard?.

Ive been lookin on:

ORANGE CRUSH30R
VOX AD30VTXL
VOX DA20

But i dont know if i should look on tube amps instead?

Cheers
Last edited by Zapher at Nov 5, 2008,
Peavey Classic or Valveking. Both lines are mostly golden, the Classic being much nicer.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Tube amps are (for most syles) better than solid state. With your budget, you could get a nice valve amp. Like someone said the valve junior is way cheaper than that and has a nice sound. Not particularly versatile bu w/e

You're likely to get better responses in the GG&A forum. Do a post there and you'll get alot of good responses.