I know that the major scale has seven modes (ionian, dorian, phyrigian etc). How do I practice these modes? I've downloaded a set of 7 patterns that all start from the G note of the 6th string. Can't I start the Ionian scale from say a G# or a C#? Also I've heard that I should play these modes over chords. What chords should I use?

I'm a complete noob! Please use simple explanations.
Sorry, I'm not answering your question, Gadgets. ...And, this really has nothing to do with you. But...I feel the need to express myself! Listen, people, learning and mastering scales is NOT mastering the guitar! I keep seeing these posts as though scales are everything. Yes, it's good to learn them, and a good practice device, but that's it! Playing scales is more math than it is musicianship. Scales have structured boundaries. That's not what makes music (especially rock and roll) so important to our lives! True rock pioneers are guys who find new ways to interpret notes into feelings. That's what rock is all about...expressing feelings in your playing! That's why it is the greatest music that has ever hit the universe. If you want structured scales, then be a classical guitarist!

Once again, Gadgets, this is not directed at you. Moreso, to those who have made judgmental comments upon guitarist they deemed inferior because they don't play within certain scale-based parametors. PLAY WHAT YOU FEEL!
Last edited by b-rock34 at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by b-rock34
Sorry, I'm not answering your question, Gadgets. ...And, this really has nothing to do with you. But...I feel the need to express myself! Listen, people, learning and mastering scales is NOT mastering the guitar! I keep seeing these posts as though scales are everything. Yes, it's good to learn them, and a good practice device, but that's it! Playing scales is more math than it is musicianship. Scales have structured boundaries. That's not what makes music (especially rock and roll) so important to our lives! True rock pioneers are guys who find new ways to interpret notes into feelings. That's what rock is all about...expressing feelings in your playing! That's why it is the greatest music that has ever hit the universe. If you want structured scales, then be a classical guitarist!

Once again, Gadgets, this is not directed at you. Moreso, to those who have made judgmental comments upon guitarist they deemed inferior because they don't play within certain scale-based parametors. PLAY WHAT YOU FEEL!

This!

Amen, feel the music brother, just feel the scales and play them :P
Quote by ilovegadgets
I know that the major scale has seven modes (ionian, dorian, phyrigian etc). How do I practice these modes? I've downloaded a set of 7 patterns that all start from the G note of the 6th string. Can't I start the Ionian scale from say a G# or a C#? Also I've heard that I should play these modes over chords. What chords should I use?

I'm a complete noob! Please use simple explanations.

Forget modes for the time being, you're not ready for them - if you want to learn music theory then that's cool, it'll help you a lot but you need to start at the beginning. Trying to learn modes when you're new to theory is like trying to learn quadratic equations before you can add up.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section, they'll get you started on the right track.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com