I've been trying to learn Arpeggios from Hell by Yngwie Malmsteen, and I'm a bit stumped on how to barr your pinkie finger:

E||-------------------------------------------------7---7-12p0-0-15-14-12-|
B||-------------------------------------------8---8---8-------------------|
G||-------------------------------------9---9---9-------------------------|
D||-------------------------5---5-9-5-9---9-------------------------------|
A||-------------------7---7---7-------------------------------------------|
E||--0--0-3-0-3-7-3-7---7-------------------------------------------------|

I'm having trouble with the bits with the sevens and the nines on adjacent strings, if you get what I mean.

Is there some sort of technique I'm missing? I can sort of do it if I straighten out all of my fingers, but then I can't do it nearly as fast (it's pretty slow already), and I wouldn't be able to do shit with it if I were standing up.

Cheers
Change the angle of your wrist so you can put some extra weight on your pinky without having to straiten it out. Works for me.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Quote by chrisa123
Change the angle of your wrist so you can put some extra weight on your pinky without having to straiten it out. Works for me.

I don't really understand, I tried but I couldn't find a good angle
thats a sequence, so you have time to use your first finger
on the E string, it goes 0, then 3 0 3, then 7 3 7, then it goes to the part that you're trying to do with your pinky. You should use your first finger as soon as he goes on the 7th fret on the A string, the E note. Then also your first finger on the 9th fret on the D-string, the B note. Then again, first finger 9th fret on the G string, then move it up to the 12th fret on the B string. If you break up those notes, you'll see its a sequence, and the reason i bring that up is because its nice to keep organized when playing more complicated stuff like that by instituting some consistency. If its a sequence, it usually has a more impactful rhythmic feel, so you can afford the time to shift your first finger up or down a position.

But your actual question, its hard to barre with your pinky when switch strings because your whole hand also has to move. By that, I mean you end up moving your first, second, and third finger out of place to play anything else because you almost have to rotate and move your entire hand, especially to barre on the E and A strings, they're hard to get to. I remember learning this and the way i explained it in the first paragraph is probably the easiest way to play this.
^Read the OP.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by ZlatSlash
thats a sequence, so you have time to use your first finger
on the E string, it goes 0, then 3 0 3, then 7 3 7, then it goes to the part that you're trying to do with your pinky. You should use your first finger as soon as he goes on the 7th fret on the A string, the E note. Then also your first finger on the 9th fret on the D-string, the B note. Then again, first finger 9th fret on the G string, then move it up to the 12th fret on the B string. If you break up those notes, you'll see its a sequence, and the reason i bring that up is because its nice to keep organized when playing more complicated stuff like that by instituting some consistency. If its a sequence, it usually has a more impactful rhythmic feel, so you can afford the time to shift your first finger up or down a position.

But your actual question, its hard to barre with your pinky when switch strings because your whole hand also has to move. By that, I mean you end up moving your first, second, and third finger out of place to play anything else because you almost have to rotate and move your entire hand, especially to barre on the E and A strings, they're hard to get to. I remember learning this and the way i explained it in the first paragraph is probably the easiest way to play this.

I think I get the concept you're getting at, cheers
Another way to think of it is, your pinky finger doesn't have a lot of surface area to perform barring, in order to do it you have to move your entire hand to conform, and by the time you've done the barre. You're out of position, especially in this case, since its a faster piece of music.
yea I see where you're getting at. Now, I'm trying to barr with the ring finger or middle finger, which ever one works at the time. I find that barring with the index finger means that i don't have enough time to move the index finger to the next note (sorry if that didn't make much sense, I'm really tired :P )