Page 1 of 2
now everyone in the pit has seen the threads bagging out the dumb kids in music shops
you know o this guy said this and this and played smoke on the water so on
anyway i was wondering if the pit has ever been the idiot in the music shop?
ive got this one example which sticks out
basically i was looking for a new guitar recently and lucky as i am my family is good mates with the importer of g and l guitars
so i can get a korean g and l for about 600 ( i got my new guitar for 670 my other one for 500) and so after playing various guitars (epiphone some cheap fenders ibanez) i decided the best guitar to get would be a g and l
so we get sent to a shop by our distributer mate
and this shops only sells american made g and ls so about 3-5k guitars
so im sitting in this shop playing 3-5k guitars
and im not much of a player and the 2 guys who worked there were obviously pissed off that here was some spoilt brat of a bloke buying a guitar far too good and expensive for him
soo i finish up and the guy was talking and he said eventually you have to stop blaming the guitar and blame the player for the sound your getting
i felt like shit and quickly left
but man the 2 guys seemed to be pissed off
anyway does the pit have any experiences along these lines?
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
they didnt say anything
you know how you can just see it in their eyes and subtly their body langauge and all
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
well I don;t know if this counts

Due to the fact that i buy a new guitar every 3-4 months.
a few of the guys at my local guitar shop kinda dislikes me (envy probably).
i didn't really care at first but pretty recently the guys that's cool with me trying all their guitars quit, leaving the guys that ignores me.

So now i just go to a different shop, which i recently found and is way better.
Quote by FuZzY(aus)
now everyone in the pit has seen the threads bagging out the dumb kids in music shops
you know o this guy said this and this and played smoke on the water so on
anyway i was wondering if the pit has ever been the idiot in the music shop?
ive got this one example which sticks out
basically i was looking for a new guitar recently and lucky as i am my family is good mates with the importer of g and l guitars
so i can get a korean g and l for about 600 ( i got my new guitar for 670 my other one for 500) and so after playing various guitars (epiphone some cheap fenders ibanez) i decided the best guitar to get would be a g and l
so we get sent to a shop by our distributer mate
and this shops only sells american made g and ls so about 3-5k guitars
so im sitting in this shop playing 3-5k guitars
and im not much of a player and the 2 guys who worked there were obviously pissed off that here was some spoilt brat of a bloke buying a guitar far too good and expensive for him
soo i finish up and the guy was talking and he said eventually you have to stop blaming the guitar and blame the player for the sound your getting
i felt like shit and quickly left
but man the 2 guys seemed to be pissed off
anyway does the pit have any experiences along these lines?

Yeah once me and my friends were playing some amps (i wanted to buy a new amp and wasn't looking cheap) and the guys came in , turned off the amps and grabbed the guitars and said get the eff out stop playing your bullsht teen music here.. sooo f*ck em... Venue music in sydney just if anyone wants to know..

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quote by Mattalac
Yeah once me and my friends were playing some amps (i wanted to buy a new amp and wasn't looking cheap) and the guys came in , turned off the amps and grabbed the guitars and said get the eff out stop playing your bullsht teen music here.. sooo f*ck em... Venue music in sydney just if anyone wants to know..

probably just pissed that he missed out on the mardi gras
the people that work at my local rockshop hate me, one guys is nice and talks to me all the time but the rest roll their eyes when they see me coming in, because I'm always trying guitars and stuff out, but never bought a guitar from there. (though to be fair I have bought a $600 amp $900 FX processor $500 of recording gear probably about $3-400 on strings picks leads and straps over the years, and recently a $150 7-guitar stand (which the guy in the shop was annoyed because he was displaying some guitars on it and had to go hang them up :rolleyes) they wouldn't let me try out this expensive tele once because "everyone's really busy right now" (one guy was packaging boxes, one was shifting the amp, and the other two were lounging outside the back room talking)
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by timo1
I always found most local guitar shops to be nice, and I find that with Allans or BillyHyde they just ignore you

There are only two guitar shops near me, one being BillyHyde and I can't remember the name of the other. Haven't been to the other much, but the guys at BillyHyde were reallly good. Talked to all customers that came in, helped people with anything and all sorts of things.

So, more depends on who works there not which guitar store it is.
Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*
Well, my first trip into a Guitar Center, and I bought a Fender Squier. What does that tell you?
Quote by Mattalac

I knew which guitar shop you were talking about before I'd even finished reading, those guys are ********s to pretty much everyone. The only time I ever go in there now is when I need something specific in a hurry that no one else has.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
their business must be doing so well that they don't have to treat you with respect or dignity thus eliminating the prospect of you ever spending money there.

we've all been the the dumbass in a music store at least once in our lives. but those guys just sounded like pricks.

when i was working in a music store, i had no problem whatsoever letting a 12 year old try the $2000 Gibson. why? because they're usually so in awe of it, that they'll actually be careful with it. as opposed to the 40 year old 'head up his ass, been playing longer than you been alive' condescending jackass who whips it around like he's king shit of the world.

true story.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
im always afraid of dropping a guitar as im taking it off the wall.

aside from that i dont really get the feeling im not wanted in a shop. the people are usually really welcoming. although im sure they arent thrilled with my playing.

edit: lol'd at post above.
yes, we all have at some point. everyone starts somewhere.

/thread.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
If you play metal, most people aren't thrilled with your playing no matter what skill level... True story, I lost a talent show to the rhythm section of Back in Black and I played Six (not all that hard actually)

ANYWAYS... I went into Strait Music to try out amps and they had a Peavey 6505+, but it wasn't plugged in, so we (the employees and I) made a giant fuss getting it plugged in and connected to a cabinet, then I get a phone call and I had to leave before I even turned it on... Needless to say I was doing the walk of shame leaving the store
Quote by StratoTele
The punji sticks only work if you use your own feces. Most brand names aren't reliable.

All I gotta do is put on a cool face...
one time i went to the gc and asked about this ibanez packet only i pronounced it as if it were a spanish word. the guy corrected me,but he did it in a manner that was like get it right retard.
So my first amp,

I walk into the store, I walk out with an MG15DFX....

No lol just kidding....

I walk into the store...my sir tries out the amps for me [the ones in my budget atleast ] then when I finish buying it [ MG15DFX :P ] I ask him if it has "that" effect. He's like which one... im like "the really cool one.... disfiguration.... no wait disturbance..... no no wait.......... i think........................" . At this point hes waiting for me to come up with an effect and he switches on distortion and starts playing, so i go "OH YEAH THAT ONE!!!!!!"
He's like " You mean distortion?"

:S

I wasnt ashamed at that time but now i am lol
Last edited by luv090909 at Nov 5, 2008,
Am I the only one that gets annoyed that the guitars are in standard? Sure, I like playing in Standard. But I'm not looking to play Led Zeppelin on a Jackson RR5. Let me tune down to Drop C you bastards!

The worst I've done is play Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) without a pick. It hurt :/
Yeah, when I got my first guitar. I was in the process of learning guitar from a friend. I didn't have a clu what I was doing.

Thankfully, the shop was empty apart from my parents and the shop owners, and it was in a completely different country haha.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by boreamor
Am I the only one that gets annoyed that the guitars are in standard? Sure, I like playing in Standard. But I'm not looking to play Led Zeppelin on a Jackson RR5. Let me tune down to Drop C you bastards!

The worst I've done is play Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) without a pick. It hurt :/

Seriously, I'll find and actual ESP or a really fckn nice LTD at Strait Music and they get all pissy even when you put it in D! I'm like, dude I play in B, you gotta at least lemme try it in D. Sorry sir, store policy, we have to make it where [douche bags who don't know how to tune] can play...

anyway, I find that Guitar Center is more lenient on the whole tuning rule
Quote by StratoTele
The punji sticks only work if you use your own feces. Most brand names aren't reliable.

Yeah once...well the dude serving me looked like one as well.

me: "so yeah I need some new strings, can you recommend any?"
him: "umm I don't really know the difference pick any from here..."
me: "so you can't recommend any?"
him: "uhh no, what kind of guitar do you have?"
me: "epiphone les paul"
him: "uh yeah take these"
me: "are they any good?"
him: "they should do"
me:".....ok, I need some picks too, can you recommend any?"
him: "....."

It was the most retarded conversation I have ever had (it went on for a while). Keep in mind though that I just brought a guitar the week before and knew jack shit and this guy seemed genuinely stoned.
I am....making progress...
I've dueled other players, if they didn't seem like they were new to playing. But it was friendly and not condescending.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I'm the guy who improvises off of the guys who play the rock classics xD

Either they're incredibly impressed or incredibly pissed.
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by reddeath959
Seriously, I'll find and actual ESP or a really fckn nice LTD at Strait Music and they get all pissy even when you put it in D! I'm like, dude I play in B, you gotta at least lemme try it in D. Sorry sir, store policy, we have to make it where [douche bags who don't know how to tune] can play...

anyway, I find that Guitar Center is more lenient on the whole tuning rule

Yeah drop D would be okay for me. I could atleast play some Avenged Sevenfold, Drist, etc. It's really annoying.I play in Drop C the most so most songs I know are in Drop C.(Sue me, I love the sound.)
Quote by boreamor
Yeah drop D would be okay for me. I could atleast play some Avenged Sevenfold, Drist, etc. It's really annoying.I play in Drop C the most so most songs I know are in Drop C.(Sue me, I love the sound.)

Really, it's people who don't tune the guitars back up that kind of get to me. Especially if it's with a Floyd Rose system or one of the Gretschs with a Bigsby
The Pit. The Movie.
Someone in Dawson's managed to sell me a Capo that was barely useable and did more damage to your own hands than anything else. It wasn't my fault though I only had a tenner on me at the time.

Thank f00k I now have a Shubb Deluxe capo.
I tend to keep my mouth shut in a music shop. I don't know everything about guitar so I just have a play around on the various instruments. One of my mates though has a knack of hearing things and not remembering exactly what it was he heard and he gets his words jumbled and shit.

The people in the shop are a good laugh though, and they let us play whatever we want to, they aren't snobs or anything.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by Spay
Really, it's people who don't tune the guitars back up that kind of get to me. Especially if it's with a Floyd Rose system or one of the Gretschs with a Bigsby

I HATE THAT!!!! Some noob comes and drop tunes it like they had dicks in their ears and locks it with the Floyd Rose locks and leave with the allen wrench or the store people hide it or something...
Quote by StratoTele

one time i was early for a lesson. my lessons where kinda in the back of the shop. well since i was early i went ahead and plugged in and started practicing a scale. well i wasnt happy with my playing so i practiced this 1 scale over and over for about 5 minutes. finally an employee came in and asked me to "knock it off with the damn scale". i didnt realize the amp was up loud enough for everyone in the shop to hear me reapeat the same scale for over 5 minutes lol.
Quote by Trudogger
Well, my first trip into a Guitar Center, and I bought a Fender Squier. What does that tell you?

Haha, same.

I was 11 though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by timo1
Yes.
We all have

EDIT:The guys sounded like pricks.

They also sounds like awful sales people. They shouldn't be working there on that basis.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
When I went in to buy my first electric the guy plugged me into an amp and cranked the distortion, and I played the intro to Under The Bridge.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
about 2 years ago when i was just starting out, I thought myself a bad ass for being able to play (sloppily i mind you) the intro to *shudders* Sweet Child O' Mine

Altoidwithedit: I played a squire strat through an MG *shudders again*
I've only ever been in two music stores. I was into Steve's in Toronto just trying out a few guitars, but just cause I hadn't been able to play during vacation. I was also into Musicstop in St. John's, NL, and the staff there were really good. It's where I bought my Jackson and...*sigh*...Line 6...
I muck around half the time I'm in a guitar shop (:
Heck, I even start recommending stuff to other customers-

"Nahh, you don't want that one it'll sound crappy, try such and such, nice hum to it"

:3 Luckily I wasn't kicked out for being a smartass.
The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself; to be conquered by yourself is of all things most shameful and vile.
~Plato
Quote by rufi

Heck, I even start recommending stuff to other customers-

"Nahh, you don't want that one it'll sound crappy, try such and such, nice hum to it"

:3 Luckily I wasn't kicked out for being a smartass.

haha i used to do that but at PC World with my friend, fun times

on topic, i've never really been that much of a prick in guitar shops, apart from maybe this one time when i was buying a new amp and to test it out i played The Beast & The Harlot main riff over and over again, in standard tuning
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by boreamor

I've played Master of Puppets on a hello kitty guitar.

Sounded and looked awesome. Go a few laughs from the staff as well.
hue
Page 1 of 2