OK well it kind of is.

Here is my question:

So my friend is playing C Major -

If I want to jam along with that I can play the C Major scale AND/OR the A Minor pentatonic scale - right?

If he changes to F major for example = do I have to switch the F major scale OR the D Minor Pentatonic scale for it to sound nice?

If so - isn't it quite hard to keep up if theres loads of chord changes?
If you keep playing the C major scale it should still sound in key. I'm not totally sure though.

The best thing to do is actually do it, and see (well listen) if it works.
ok, i play piano as well so im pretty good at theory unlike most guitar players lol. anyway to answer your question, each song is usually written in a key or scale which is DIFFERENT from chords. Chords are simply combinations of notes that fit into your key for example C major. In the C major key you could use the F chord, the G chord the C chord, anything you like. Things dont necessarily have to fit into the same key, but you'll find it easier.

Hope that helps.
just dive bomb the whammy bar
it fits with everything
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by steelfingers
ok, i play piano as well so im pretty good at theory unlike most guitar players lol. anyway to answer your question, each song is usually written in a key or scale which is DIFFERENT from chords. Chords are simply combinations of notes that fit into your key for example C major. In the C major key you could use the F chord, the G chord the C chord, anything you like. Things dont necessarily have to fit into the same key, but you'll find it easier.

Hope that helps.

so potentially, I could use any scale as long as the scale is in the same key?

I'd better learn me keys then eh?
C major and F major are in the key of C major, so you basically would just play C major.

Yes, the notes of A minor are the same as those in C major but it's the tonality of the chords underneath that dictates what key you're in.

But what you're saying is also correct, you could switch to F major over the F chord. You'd just need to experiment with note choice over the change to find what sounds nice.
Quote by nick_b
just dive bomb the whammy bar
it fits with everything

Win. Or do the satch thing with the whammy.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by steelfingers
ok, i play piano as well so im pretty good at theory unlike most guitar players lol.

That's possibly one of the most arrogant, self-righteous, narrow-minded things I've seen anyone say on this forum.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
That's possibly one of the most arrogant, self-righteous, narrow-minded things I've seen anyone say on this forum.

maybe so, but I'm drunk and you'll still be ugly in the morning..............or something
ok ok how about this final, final question.....

so my mates playing C major - in fact a series of chords all in the key of C

I can play any Major scale as long as they are in the within the Key of C?

so, Pentatonic - my old friend.

I can play Aminor as in it is friends with C - does this mean I can play Aminor pentatonic with any chords in the key of C or just the C major chord?
You can play the positions of A Natural Minor or A Pentatonic Minor, yes...

BUT

As the chords underneath make the tonal center of the song C Major, that's what you're playing; C Major.
Quote by slickerthnsleek

Do you tend to avoid the pit?
It is usually better to try play notes that sound good with the chord too. Just because they are in the same scale, doesn't mean it sounds right but it depends on what you are trying to achieve with the song.
Quote by Fezler69
OK well it kind of is.

Here is my question:

So my friend is playing C Major -

If I want to jam along with that I can play the C Major scale AND/OR the A Minor pentatonic scale - right?

If he changes to F major for example = do I have to switch the F major scale OR the D Minor Pentatonic scale for it to sound nice?

If so - isn't it quite hard to keep up if theres loads of chord changes?

Yes well what you are doing is playing the harder way to play along to chords, you are doing what's known as "playing the changes". Which as you say involves changing your scale to match the chord being played. Ie playing the Dm scale over the Dm chord, because all the notes of the chord are in the scale this will sound fine.

Every chord progression has an overall "Key" however and most guitarists play along to this overall Key and if you play within this key then you will sound fine. For example a chord Progression of Cmaj - Dm - Em, resolves to C so playing C major over all 3 of those chords will sound fine or in Key.