Here's a recipe i learnt many years ago...when your strings are near worn out take them and boil them in a saucepan of water for about 5 mins. They come out as singing almost as good as new!!
Al
Dude, do you really think you are the first to come up with that!!?! people were doing that 50 years ago!! But thanks anyway
ummmm..... why not just change them like everyone else ?????
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Opethfan1
ummmm..... why not just change them like everyone else ?????

Bass strings are more expensive, so it worth doing your bit to prolong the lives of them.

Electric guitar strings are cheaper so thats we replace them instead of fiddling with them.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I change my bass strings all the time its more of a pain in the A** to try and clean them just to save a little coin.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
They only really sound like new for a few days and go back to normal.

If you really want to prolong the life of your strings, wash your hands before you play your bass, keep it covered, wipe the strings down when you've finished etc..
^This.

If you read the FAQ--"cleaning" strings is covered. I did the piece myself. But IMHO, its a last act of desperation and extreme poverty. And should only be done once to a set of strings.
I put my strings in boiling water, then add some chicken, some honey and some herbs and spices.

After 20 minutes, strain, grate some fresh cheese on top, serve and enjoy.

Yum.

Wait, we're trying to clean them, not eat them?
Boiling your strings can be bad. Metals+Water=Rust. Soak them in denatured alcohol for a day or two instead, it works better and there's no rust.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Boiling your strings can be bad. Metals+Water=Rust. Soak them in denatured alcohol for a day or two instead, it works better and there's no rust.

Stainless stell doesn't rust and nickel is EXTREMELY resistant to rusting. Although I will say that water is fine, but denatured alcohol seems to work better (as long as you're careful not to catch it on fire).
Stainless steel does corrode... just less than regular steel.

It will be fine as long as one dries the strings right after boiling though.