my valveking 4x12 cab resonates nastily when i palm mute in e flat (i play in drop c sharp, so thats the 3rd fret power chord)

its sounds awful. not bad when at home, but when jamming with the band its HORRIBLE! like a whoshing buz just after the palm mute.

I thought about porting it - any ideas what size I should make the port? What about filling it with something?? what would give the best results?

any ideas on how to solve this would be appreciated.

oh and please dont tell me to buy a new cab, i cant afford one at the moment.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Nov 5, 2008,
Less distortion?
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
its really hard to make a diognosis on that without hearing it
id take it to your local shop and see what they think
but i used to get that nasty resonation too and when i took it in they said it had someting to do with the distance between the pups and strings
just to be safe id bring it into the shop before messing around with it
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
less distortion? thanks for your input, but thats not really very helpful is it???

the problem is with the cab, i have my gain set to around 1 o clock - just over halfway, im not a fizzy bedroom boy playing with the gain on full, constantly.
Quote by hippyheaven1
less distortion? thanks for your input, but thats not really very helpful is it???

the problem is with the cab, i have my gain set to around 1 o clock - just over halfway, im not a fizzy bedroom boy playing with the gain on full, constantly.

Oh okay..
I'm just trying to help...
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
its your cab farting out.. use less bass
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by stratsrule1990
its really hard to make a diognosis on that without hearing it
id take it to your local shop and see what they think
but i used to get that nasty resonation too and when i took it in they said it had someting to do with the distance between the pups and strings
just to be safe id bring it into the shop before messing around with it

its not the guitar thats the problem. I have used the same rig with different cabs and the problem goes away.

i know what the problem is.... the cab resonates. Im just trying to find out what people think is the best solution - damping or porting... if its porting... how do i determine the size of the port????

as regards taking it to the local guitar shop? they dont know shit, id be better taking it to a chiropracter or a locksmith, seriously.

im no noob.... i know my gear better than most guitar shop people. But the physics involved with bass reflex porting and damping is fairly unknown to me, hence asking for help here.
Quote by sirlimecat
its your cab farting out.. use less bass

i know its my cab farting, the bass is only at 12 oclock. im not turning it down any more than that.

i repeat, it is not a set up or eq issue. the cab needs attention.

anyone know anything about porting????
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
Oh okay..
I'm just trying to help...

sorry - I didnt mean come accross like i was ungrateful, but I did pose specific questions and your answer was pretty much nothing to do with the questions i asked.
Quote by hippyheaven1
sorry - I didnt mean come accross like i was ungrateful, but I did pose specific questions and your answer was pretty much nothing to do with the questions i asked.

I don't think you understand that none of us are getting paid to help you. Turn your bass down you noob.
You should also look to make sure all the speakers are tight and not coming loose from thier cutout holes. Your problem is not common with VK cabs.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
sorted it... it was the strut going from the centre of the baffle to the centre of the back panel. It wasnt secured to the back panel. Screwed it down and its sorted now :-)

thanks anyway guys