Yo guyz

I own an epiphone les paul. Recently I've been thinking about getting a new one but I've decided to leave that 'til next summer. However, I've still got some spare monies and am thinking about modding the epiphone. I just wanted to know what mods would be worth considering, if any. Obviously, I'm a complete noob at this and will be paying a guitar tech/expert to make the mods for me.

Here are a few things I thought I could change:
- Upgrade Tuners?
- Change pickups? (any recommended p-ups?)
- Maybe some aesthetic modifications (paint/decals/volume knobs...)
- Bridge (is it possible to add a vibrato to an LP model?)

As I said before, I'm a complete noob. Any advice would be helpful. And if you think anything would work, could you plz give an estimate of the price.

BTW tell me if there's anything else cool you would recommend doing. My list is just a few ideas.

Cheers
Last edited by Jazz Bee at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by Jazz Bee
Yo guyz

I own an epiphone les paul. Recently I've been thinking about getting but I've decided to leave that 'til next summer. However, I've still got some spare monies and am thinking about modding the epiphone. I just wanted to know what mods would be worth considering, if any. Obviously, I'm a complete noob at this and will be paying a guitar tech/expert to make the mods for me.

Getting what?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
if your epi has grover tuners then leave them on. they are rock solid. if not then get some good tuners.

i recommend irongear pickups. good pickups for a good price. also rockmonkey (UGer) makes custom ones.

decals is down to your taste so cant really advise.

there is a trem that drops onto a les paul... i think its called les trem.
Thank you please.
put a bigsby on that les!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
What flavour Epi LP do you have? Pics?

Tuners - It seems a lot of people rate the grover tuners on newer epi les pauls. Mine was made in may 2005 and had the grover 'kidney bean' button style ones. Theres another thread on here on which people have suggested just changing the buttons, which does make sense + cheaper and something you can easily do yourself if you can operate a philiips screwdriver!

I changed the whole tuners for Branded Kluson tulip type (like you get on gibson std's etc) and I prefer them. Most people here slate them, but that may be because there are so many out there which carry the name but are made by someone else - I dunno.

There are certainly loads of different types out there to choose from.

Pickups - What type of music do you play/want to play? Knowing that will help point you in the right direction to pickup choice - there are loads of types available. I went for gibson ones the day I bought my guitar and I love them, but I did not have a UG account back then - there are some real pickup geeks on here and they know what they are talking about! I like the look of some of theat rockmonkey stuff - well priced too. I might try one of the vintage gorilla's.

Looks - not my bag i'm afraid - I tend to trash anything I approach with a paintbrush!

Bridge - Somebody please correct me if Im wrong, but I dont think, or rather could not find, many bridge replacements for my epi that would fit without plugging the old holes and drilling new ones?

I went for a tonepros metric locking bridge and tailpiece and I'm really pleased with them - they put them on the new (2008) Gibson Les Paul Std. Much, much better than the original one.

Apparently, some new epis are meant to have some kind of kick ass locking tailpiece + bridge (though interestingly, have not actually come accross somebody who owns one on here) so it makes sense to check what you have first. No point paying somebody to do a like for like replacement.

I would also suggest you take the opportunity to rewire it as well with new vol + tone pots and capicitors and do it with the gibson silver braided wire etc. upgrading the three way switch to a switchcraft one is also an option - doesnt make much/any difference tho really.

I also went for a bone nut - If you don't go for a new nut, at least get your tech to check it as part of a full setup as well. I'm willing to bet 50p and a bag of chips that the string slots in your nut are too high and need lowering.

Having it set up properly will make you love it far more than any upgrades + should be done as part of the bridge install really.

And agree with the above - if you're gonna go trem - bigsby that thing
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald