hey again everyone ! thank you for everyones help on my question but the answers seemed to me to be very vague and ended up in an argument about whether or not music theory is good for a guitarist hahah !

i guess if i explain my situation slightly better it would help as well to get a better answer.ok first things first....i DO know my pentatonic scales and modes and thats all good and well. my only real question was that particular intro to the song :

ALL ON BLACK -ALKALINE TRIO

the intro seems to be played with what looks to be a power chord just like the normal two finger power chords that are called say ( c5, d5 and so on) only with this song it seems that the power chords played are just played higher which means dropping each finger down a string ???? thats what i figured it was but im not sure because ive seen bands play high pitched power chords like that but i dont understand how they connect to other chords or even i guess WHAT THEY ARE CALLED WHEN PLAYING HIGHER PITCHED POWER CHORDS???? some help with the matter would be excellent here !

i just really wanna know what those chords would be called or if they are NOT chords how they came about putting that intro together with notes? im just simply unsure of the intro,although its simple and easy to play...i picked it up pretty much by ear before even listening to the song and was almost 100% right but id LOVE to figure out those power chords or notes or whatever they are allowing the guitarist to remain that high pitched and sound good !!!

thanks guys and girls i appreciate it alot !

Ant
You mean this part?

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--999777555444220-5555555555555555-----------------------------------------|
D|--777777777555000-3333333333333333-----------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

As long as they're a perfect fifth interval, they're still power chords. Not all of those are power chords, but what strings they're played on doesn't change anything, really. Other than, obviously, pitch.

The ones that aren't perfect fifths, I'd call double stops (though the power chords can be called double stops as well, of course), in case that helps put a name to things.

Does that answer the question?

Grep.
A power chord is not really a chord, its only 2 notes, the root and fifth, sometimes with the octave. They are called "power" chords because they are neither major or minor, they are just roots notes with the added power of the fifth.

Double stops are actually the root and the fifth (or fourth, depending on what way you look at it)

E----12-(E) It could be root note E with a fifth which is the B
B----12-(B) or a B with the fourth note which is E

Music theory is not necessary, but a small amount can help out.
Agreed. In the end, I just think of them as intervals. A power chord, I think of as a perfect fifth interval, etc. Power chords aren't named all that well, it's true. Even the names we give them, like G5, are arguably bad. But what can ya do.

Grep.
Also some people add in the lower fifth/fourth into a power chord to chunk things up.

G--6 octave
D--6 fifth
A--4 root
E--4 lower fifth

Still a power chord but much heavier
Thanks alot for all of your help everyone !!! I find that the simplest things that i play easily the hardest to understand in theory lol. the scales everyone told me would be hard to figure out and memorize and this and that...the modes but that was cake next to some of the chord names i see and the things i read about musical theory lol

thanks again

ant