okay well ive been practing my chords

E, Em, A, Am, C, G, and D

pretty much the easy ones

and mostly on the G and C chords my finger always touches the string Below it =/

like with C my index finger always touches the the First String =/

i have tried to break it down and go one finger 1 string at a time but my fingers still touch -.-

I would say my fingers are normal atleast..

but it feels like my fingers are huge when i try to play Clean Chords =/

the only way i can possibly play clean is if i got in to a very uncomfortable position =/

can someone please help...
yes. you can help yourself. it wasn't easy for any of us to start with. it takes time. do things slowly. that's the best advice. practice..can't tell you much more can i?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Practice Practice Practice !!!!!!!
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Practise and play the strings 1 at a time and correct as you go it will come with time
roughly about 2 months...

and i Practice really slow to the point where its no longer fun but I still push through...

i just cant seem to play Certain Chords Clean... everyone says Practice which i am...

I spend atleast 5 hours a day Practicing Scales/Finger exercises/Chords/ etc...

While practicing to do Clean Chords I look and adjust my finger till it sounds clean and once i get my fingers in place my wrist is in a very awkward position, Bascily my whole arm is on the front side of the neck =/

so im pretty sure thats wrong
Maybe take one lesson in front of a teacher so he can see what you are doing? Also, 5 hours a day is a recipe for burnout. It's supposed to be fun. Get help from an actual person that can see what you are doing.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
5 hours a day do you go to school or work holy sh*t. slow down man take a few lessons and relax and just learn to play b4 trying to go pro. gotta walk b4 you can run.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Well, this is what I would do. Try to position your fingers on the chord and sound out every string to make sure they all play the right sound. and switch into another chord you have problems with. Switch up the chords, but take your time, make sure they sound right. If it feels a little awkward, that is alright, its natural, you will get used to it. If you think it is your guitar, I would take it to a music shop, and ask if the action is set correctly. If the action is not set well, it will be harder to play when you start off.

I sent you a message on UG. Check it out.
Shawn George Noel
Last edited by HISOTRA at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by Opethfan1
5 hours a day do you go to school or work holy sh*t. slow down man take a few lessons and relax and just learn to play b4 trying to go pro. gotta walk b4 you can run.

sorry I forgot to mention that its 5 hours Spread throughout the day... not all at once =P

and yea I do goto school but i have a whole semester off...
and arent I Learning how to play 0.o i mean I only know 2 songs out of my 2 months of playing cause people keep tellng me to Learn the Basics so thats what im doing...

and even if i learn how to play songs i dont wanna be like some of my friends who are just full of themselfs and just learned to play a bunch of songs but they cant play clean..

i hear a ton of Mutes and ring outs and such...
Play some songs for yourself to break up the boredom, it helps. Then pick out a song you think is impossible and learn one or two phrases at a time. Mix up your routine.

I agree it can get frustrating, and even after a year I still muff chords and notes sometimes, but I don't dwell on it, which it sounds like you are doing.

Remember, a lot of great guitar players were sloppy- it's what made their sound what it was. Jimmy Page was sloppy as hell, but his sound is epic.

Keep trying! It's supposed to be fun! Don't make it work!
Keep practicing. You hand will get stronger, and the muscle memory will improve as a result, the chords will become cleaner.

Also play each string separately for each chord shape to find out where you are going wrong and adjust accordingly.

No secret here. Just practice and tweaking technique till you get good sounds.
Make sure you put your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck when making the chord shapes. Then arch you hand and fingers as if you were making a spider shape (for want of a better expression). Might feel difficult now but you'll get better and then all your chords will sound nice and clean.
I started playing about 3 months ago - I've noticed a vast difference in playing even simple chords from when I started.

Your hand will start to develop muscle memory in that you'll start to get a "feel" for how far apart from eachother your fingers need to be and the positioning of your wrist/arm to play different chords.

One other thing I noticed was that once I built up some calouses (sp) on my left fingertips, it was alot easier to hold down the correct strings without my fingers feeling "fat" and touching/muting others accidentally.
Everyone has this problem. It might help to think about curling your fingers more so they don't rest on strings, therefore causing them to be muted. This is what I thought about and I could play chords cleanly in a week or two after I learned chords.
First off, make sure your thumb is resting against the back of the neck. Not over the fingerboard requiring alot more finger pressure and tension.

Also, for a chord such as "C" , try leaving off the lowest note, C on the A string. Playing the chord on only the four highest strings might help you improve your finger placement.

When you get comfortable with it add in the C bass note. Keep at it. Best of luck.
The great thing about chords is they troubleshoot themselves. Make your chord shape, then arpeggiate it (play each string individually instead of strumming all six). When you hear a dead note, examine how you're fretting that particular string. Once you have it ringing clean, move on to the next string until you can identify what you're doing wrong and correct it. Then move on to the next problem chord.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play